• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all computer guru's! (RE: Video Cards)

Oramac

So I'm looking to upgrade my video card, and I've been looking at EVGA because I've used them before and like them, but I found a good deal on an XFX card almost identical to the EVGA I was going to buy. However, I know nothing about XFX as a company, or video card maker.

Anyone know anything about XFX?

Thanks!

slowfiveoh

XFX is just fine. I have one of their 260's in one of our systems here. It is a top tier manufacturer if that is your concern. Like every manufacturer though they do have more cost conscientious cards (i.e. Generic)

Which one are you purchasing if I may ask?

Oramac

XFX is just fine. I have one of their 260's in one of our systems here. It is a top tier manufacturer if that is your concern. Like every manufacturer though they do have more cost conscientious cards (i.e. Generic)

Which one are you purchasing if I may ask?

Thanks for the info!

I'm looking at this one. I don't need anything ridiculously awesome. Just something for mild gaming since the onboard graphics are utter trash.

Also looking at this one and this one.

EDIT: I just noticed I only have a 220W power supply. Which means none of these work unless I get a bigger PSU.

So, how easy is it to change out a power supply? I'm working in an HP Slimline s5-1020 PC.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dogbait

Have you checked Newegg.com or amazon? I tend not to purchase computer hardware from best buy.

What is your current system setup? It's helpful to know, when choosing new components, to determine if everything is compatible.

Sent from my HTC EVO

Oramac

Have you checked Newegg.com or amazon? I tend not to purchase computer hardware from best buy.

What is your current system setup? It's helpful to know, when choosing new components, to determine if everything is compatible.

Sent from my HTC EVO

I've been shopping around on newegg, tigerdirect and best buy. If possible, I'd prefer to buy through BB since I get some profit-sharing through them.

My PC is an HP Slimline s5-1020. Doesn't say below, but its a microATX 220W PSU. Specs are:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® E6800 • 3.33 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB

Chipset
Intel G41

Chassis Type
Slimline

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (2x 2GB)

Storage: 1 TB SATA (7200 rpm)

Optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (up to 1.65 GB)

Slots:
1 PCI-Express x16
2 PCI Express x1
1 MiniCard

Dimensions and Weight
Weight
7.7 kg
Dimensions (w x d x h)
15.77 x 39.19 x 31.19 cm

KBCraig

Newegg has a 300W PSU that is sold as a replacement for the HP Slimlines, but the reviews all note that it's very loud (kinda defeats the purpose, if it's going in an HTPC-type system).

Oramac

Newegg has a 300W PSU that is sold as a replacement for the HP Slimlines, but the reviews all note that it's very loud (kinda defeats the purpose, if it's going in an HTPC-type system).

Link? I looked, but I didn't see any 300+ PSU's that looked like they would fit inside the case. The PSU that's in this thing is long, flat and skinny.

Baked on Grease

Thanks for the info!

I'm looking at this one. I don't need anything ridiculously awesome. Just something for mild gaming since the onboard graphics are utter trash.

Also looking at this one and this one.

EDIT: I just noticed I only have a 220W power supply. Which means none of these work unless I get a bigger PSU.

So, how easy is it to change out a power supply? I'm working in an HP Slimline s5-1020 PC.

Thanks!

You will want at least a 500 watt psu for those cards, check newegg.com they have good deals. I picked up a nvidia 580 for $200 as a special...

Sent using tapatalk

Baked on Grease

Link? I looked, but I didn't see any 300+ PSU's that looked like they would fit inside the case. The PSU that's in this thing is long, flat and skinny.

Would it kill you to duct tape the psu outside the case? Or cut the case metal to fit a larger psu? Otherwise you have to contact the manufacturer of your pc to find psu's that fit

Sent using tapatalk

KBCraig

Sorry, I didn't have time to go back to the link when I posted that. Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338063

I don't recommend them, I just happened to see them shortly before I read your post. I was looking for 300+W PSUs for Mini-ITX, because the only HDMI-out PCI video cards I can find require 300+ Watts. I just bought my first flat screen (46" Philips LCD), and I thought it would be nice to connect this spare box (Ubuntu, formerly Hackintosh) to one of the inputs, for viewing various InnerWebz stuff. The integrated GMA950 VGA graphics on the mobo just choke on any video over 480p. So, I was hunting for single-slot PCI cards with HDMI-out, literally minutes before I saw your post.

Oramac

Sorry, I didn't have time to go back to the link when I posted that. Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338063

I don't recommend them, I just happened to see them shortly before I read your post. I was looking for 300+W PSUs for Mini-ITX, because the only HDMI-out PCI video cards I can find require 300+ Watts. I just bought my first flat screen (46" Philips LCD), and I thought it would be nice to connect this spare box (Ubuntu, formerly Hackintosh) to one of the inputs, for viewing various InnerWebz stuff. The integrated GMA950 VGA graphics on the mobo just choke on any video over 480p. So, I was hunting for single-slot PCI cards with HDMI-out, literally minutes before I saw your post.

I <3 you! Not sure how I missed those, but they should work perfectly! I don't need anything incredibly good, so long as it works right, so I'm comfortable with them.

And Grease, that's what I'm doing now. Got a 300 W PSU I hijacked from another PC hooked up at the moment. I'd really prefer not to have the jury-rigged setup if I can avoid it though.

Last edited:

Jack House

Your PSU should be gold cert if you're going to go with the bare minimum.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Last edited:

Kotyaer

Provided XFX still has the Double Lifetime Warranty.... Get it.

Means you can buy bleeding-edge graphics goodies, and when you want to sell that card off in a year or so, you can get more for it since the next user gets a full warranty.