• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative experience at Drake Landing

American Patriot

People are negligent. I totally see the owners side. The course is set up and safely designed for shotguns to shoot clays. Now you take someone who watched Top Shot and saw them shooting clays with a 1911 and next thing you know you have Billy Bad Azz trying it. That .45ACP will carry farther than birdshot. Most people wont think about that. Everyone complaining about not wanting to be able to defend themselves, you have a 12 gauge in your hands. Don't want a handgun bouncing around in a golf cart? Mine would still be in the holster when I placed it in the golf cart making it as secure as if it was on my hip. Still worried, how long does it take you to clear the chamber on your weapon? Guess none of you go to gun shows do you? Ever wonder why loaded firearms are not allowed? People are negligent.

"People are negligent." True.

One of the many excuses used by the gun control crowd. Fact is people are sometimes negligent regardless of the tools they use.

bigl0af

"People are negligent." True.

One of the many excuses used by the gun control crowd. Fact is people are sometimes negligent regardless of the tools they use.

Sounds like you are excusing disarmament with the same reasoning liberals use. I bet if we were talking about Whole Foods and not a gun range you'd be humming a different tune.

The fact is open carry is not allowed at Drake Landing, regardless of the owner's so called rationale, and I won't be spending my money there because of that. It is disturbing that folks who are allegedly open carry advocates would support such a policy. Hand over your open carry advocate card, please! :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

American Patriot

Sounds like you are excusing disarmament with the same reasoning liberals use. I bet if we were talking about Whole Foods and not a gun range you'd be humming a different tune.

The fact is open carry is not allowed at Drake Landing, regardless of the owner's so called rationale, and I won't be spending my money there because of that. It is disturbing that folks who are allegedly open carry advocates would support such a policy. Hand over your open carry advocate card, please! :)

Context, context, context.

KyleKatern

Open Carry: Nothing about us says HANDGUNS ONLY

We tend to focus way too much on the holstered handgun. Yes, it is low profile, less scary than a slung AR or a shotgun carried over an arm.

You ARE allowed to open carry at Drakes Landing. However, like almost any RANGE, he has rules. Many ranges only allow you to load at the line, or do not allow any firearm handling when the range is declared cold. it is a REQUIREMENT in order to get the insurance necessary to be able to have ranges that we the public can go use. Just as gun shows MUST require no ammo in guns carried in, or else be uninsured.

I am DISARMED if I am in the local Mexican place that happens to serve bottled bear, thus requiring that my pistols be locked up in the car. I am ARMED and OPEN CARRYING if I am walking, or riding, around with a shotgun in hand.

This policy is just a corollary of many indoor ranges that do not allow shotguns, or pistol grip shotguns, or certain types of ammo. Its a limitation of what can be safely shot on their range. They COULD post 'no shooting pistols or rifles', but all it takes is one idiot who wants to shoot clays with their new Taurus judge. Then we end up having rules saying 'no loaded firearms other than at line when in range' or 'no handguns when on clays course' or 'shotguns only'

I for one will PROBABLY choose not to spend my money at Drakes Landing. However, as a landowner, I do believe int he right of the owner of property to set any rules he or she wants on that property. I think in this case it could have been better posted. I do choose in most cases to spend MORE money with locations that DO allow me to carry.

However, if I refused to go to any range or location that said I could not carry my pistol on my side,m then I would be out of work and have very few places to shop or shoot. I find wearing an empty holster, and only making small purchases at places that restrict carry makes more of a public statement than just my never going there again. I am supposed to be an ambasador, a well informed, polite armed citizen. The mroe I do to remove fear, smoothe feathers, and act 'not in anger but in sorrow' the more I get 'I am so sorry, I wish we could, but..' or 'its ok, you don't have to leave' from managers and others, instead of 'sir you have to leave now'

Voting with our feet and our dollars works, but it never opens new doors.

Dreamer

People are negligent. I totally see the owners side. The course is set up and safely designed for shotguns to shoot clays. Now you take someone who watched Top Shot and saw them shooting clays with a 1911 and next thing you know you have Billy Bad Azz trying it. That .45ACP will carry farther than birdshot. Most people wont think about that. Everyone complaining about not wanting to be able to defend themselves, you have a 12 gauge in your hands. Don't want a handgun bouncing around in a golf cart? Mine would still be in the holster when I placed it in the golf cart making it as secure as if it was on my hip. Still worried, how long does it take you to clear the chamber on your weapon? Guess none of you go to gun shows do you? Ever wonder why loaded firearms are not allowed? People are negligent.

You are completely correct. Those jerks who would shoot a pistol randomly on a shotgun course would NEVER do anything stupid or dangerous with a 12ga shotgun, now would they?

<sarcasm OFF>

Red Dawg

people are negligent

So, by your logic, no one should carry a gun at any time? People are negligent everywhere. Period.
I see leaving the handgun at home to go to the trap/skeet/sporting clays range as just a change of guns. Why is it such a big deal? Just don't get it. A handgun in a holster on your side is not a purse, not a fashion statement. It's a tool to protect your life. So is a shotgun, and it's technically a better SD weapon...

Go ahead flame me about the long guns, on the open carry handgun forum. LOL...

Last edited:

bigl0af

So, by your logic, no one should carry a gun at any time? People are negligent everywhere. Period.
I see leaving the handgun at home to go to the trap/skeet/sporting clays range as just a change of guns. Why is it such a big deal? Just don't get it. A handgun in a holster on your side is not a purse, not a fashion statement. It's a tool to protect your life. So is a shotgun, and it's technically a better SD weapon...

Go ahead flame me about the long guns, on the open carry handgun forum. LOL...

A shotgun with bird shot is a poor self defense weapon. Hell Dick Chenny shot a guy in the face from short distance with bird shot and the guy was smiling for photos in the hospital with lead in his face!

This is moot tho, as I want to carry my self defense tool of choice when out and about, and this place does not allow that. Therefore, it is my position that they will no longer get my business - and I'm sure a few others that OC appreciate this heads up notice!

ncwabbit

OP...didn't they see you walk in through their entrance w/your firearm on? me thinks that might be the time to quantify their carry policy instead of on the range?

as has been stated previously on different threads, there are a myriad of firearm related businesses who have posted signs 'requesting' no carry, no loaded firearms, etc., be brought into their establishments under the guise of 'insurance' mandates. yet there are an equal number who do not post such signage....horrors... does that mean they do not have insurance?

I also do not think i saw a posting saying the property owner can't do whatever the geewhiz they want with and while they are on their property.

however, as previously stated...those business property owners wish to preclude my carry, i will take my hard earned retirement monies elsewhere to someone who does!!

wabbit

PS: forgive me...who cares if the RSO was prior service or not?

bigl0af

OP...didn't they see you walk in through their entrance w/your firearm on? me thinks that might be the time to quantify their carry policy instead of on the range?

as has been stated previously on different threads, there are a myriad of firearm related businesses who have posted signs 'requesting' no carry, no loaded firearms, etc., be brought into their establishments under the guise of 'insurance' mandates. yet there are an equal number who do not post such signage....horrors... does that mean they do not have insurance?

I also do not think i saw a posting saying the property owner can't do whatever the geewhiz they want with and while they are on their property.

however, as previously stated...those business property owners wish to preclude my carry, i will take my hard earned retirement monies elsewhere to someone who does!!

wabbit

PS: forgive me...who cares if the RSO was prior service or not?

Yes I'm pretty sure the guy at the office saw my firearm on my hip. I'm also very sure the guy who said something to me on the range also saw me carrying while waiting for my cart prior to hitting the range. Matter of fact I think that guy waited for me to get on the range before saying something. Funny thing is that the guy who said something about me open carrying was himself open carrying!

papa bear

Yes I'm pretty sure the guy at the office saw my firearm on my hip. I'm also very sure the guy who said something to me on the range also saw me carrying while waiting for my cart prior to hitting the range. Matter of fact I think that guy waited for me to get on the range before saying something. Funny thing is that the guy who said something about me open carrying was himself open carrying!

Now that is down right hypocritical