• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC to vote?

pfries

I cannot find anything restricting it short of being at a school or posted place.

Thoughts, anyone going OC?

Barnett3006

Well, after reviewing TN carry laws and finding nothing against it, I will be providing the church I vote at isn't posted (I don't remember it being posted during the primaries).

Barnett3006

No issues at mine either, except they didn't have any "I Voted" stickers for me to stick on my holster :(

ETA: Remedied my lack of "I Voted" sticker by stopping at another districts polling placing and asking for one, which promptly went onto my holster! :D

Last edited:

utbob2004

my polling place is at city hall in my town :-( plus they put up the gun buster sign just in case. I did think that it was kinda strange that some police officers where outside standing around in uniform. I know that they aren't suppose to stand around to try to "intimidate" the voters LMAO.

cjohnson44546

I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?

Fallschirjmäger

I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?
Short answer, "Nope"
Longer answer, "ohhailetothemaxfreaking No, it's not illegal according to any Federal law."

Some states prohibit carry at or around polling stations, and although I have no statistical basis to back it up, I suspect many of those laws came out of a desire to keep some people from intimidating other people into not voting.

Last edited:

Fallguy

That is in correct in TN in general

However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

As said, it is illegal in some states.

JoeSparky

Centurion
That is in correct in TN in general

However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

As said, it is illegal in some states.

PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!

Fallguy

PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!

That is correct.

In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359

Ken56

That is correct.

In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359

You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.

Fallguy

You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.

That's correct but I don't know of any polling places at schools that the machines in the parking lot. I just assumed we were taking about carry on your person.