• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at home

wylde007

I never found it all that effective out of anything unless I was close enough to just club them anyway. YMMV.
:lol:

I keep a batch of .38 rounds for when I'm out in the swamp or deep woods doing recon for a survey. I've never had to use them, but I'm thinking when the new homestead is finished at the end of the month that may change. I've amassed a sizable woodpile out the back...

Marco

Caliber and ammo you shot them with?

I shot with what I had on hand, Springfield 1991-A1 longslide (converted to 460 Rowland), didn't want to try and step over it again to get something smaller and I did want her to disappear before I got back from my walk. Unlike the FL and Culpeper shootings I couldn't afford to let this suspect (known killer) go to be caught later.

Shoe? I've never known you to wear shoes. When did that start? Oh, let me guess... when venomous snakes started getting too close for comfort.

Sandal's are considered a style of shoe are they not? :) However, I had sneakers on as we were heading out for a 5 mile walk.

I'm accustom to seeing posinous snakes, having lived in southern NV (just off Mt Charelston) for 19 yrs.
I now keep a 22LR handy.

My brother's friend recently lost one of his fingers picking up a rattler he thought he had killed (smashed it with a hoe), it wasn't done just yet and bite his middle finger.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Peter, if you adjust the aim more toward the head, they do make nice wallets, belts and such. And they taste like chicken!

May IS snake month in Virginia. As you note, they are actively looking to mate.

Of course, spreading your grain buffet for the wild critters draws in their favorite food too! I would suggest a guard cat for Zeus. Put the cat out on point, and if it gets hit----get another cat.

Seriously, I hope the dog has a good recovery. Hematoxins can be nasty.

Glockster

Thankfully I've never seen anything like that near my house. I'm just saying....really don't care much for snakes.

Glockster

They're incredible edibles. :D

I'll certainly take you at your word....I do not like snakes (green eggs & ham)....chicken also tastes like chicken. And they are very easy to control....especially wrapped under plastic in styrofoam trays. Never yet had one of those try to bite me. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll certainly take you at your word....I do not like snakes (green eggs & ham)....chicken also tastes like chicken. And they are very easy to control....especially wrapped under plastic in styrofoam trays. Never yet had one of those try to bite me. :p

Everybody has their own pallet limitations/preferences, but I have never seen a chicken skin hatband or wallet. :lol:

Bowesmobile

Well my chickens are not under plastic and in Styrofoam trays. Yes, they do bite. Ask my wife and kids about our Rooster some time. We actually had thought about putting up a sign warning of the attack rooster... That idea sounds better and better every time I think about it.

Glockster

Everybody has their own pallet limitations/preferences, but I have never seen a chicken skin hatband or wallet. :lol:

And probably not much of a market for them either, I'd think. 'Scuse me sir, but that there's a mighty fine hatband. Is that hen or rooster? :banana:

Glockster

Well my chickens are not under plastic and in Styrofoam trays. Yes, they do bite. Ask my wife and kids about our Rooster some time. We actually had thought about putting up a sign warning of the attack rooster... That idea sounds better and better every time I think about it.

And that's why I try to avoid those pre-market condition chickens. Grew up next to a farm. Remember that well. Didn't like it much. And still don't like snakes. ;-)

B. Reddy

Of course, spreading your grain buffet for the wild critters draws in their favorite food too! I would suggest a guard cat for Zeus. Put the cat out on point, and if it gets hit----get another cat.

+1 on the guard cat.

I've seen our 7 lb cat slapping around 10 lbs of coiled black snake

AND

she interrupted a rattler who was just starting to enjoy some fresh frog. Mr. Shovel put an early end to the snake.

I bet that frog got free drinks for WEEKS with his story.