• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did the NRA support the 1967 ban on loaded, open carry in California?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
In a Salon article, Natasha Lennard claims that the NRA supported the 1967 ban on loaded open carry in California.

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/03/the_nras_flip_flop_on_african_americans/

I do not know if this is true. The left constantly makes things up, and lives on lies.

On the other hand, the NRA, in 1967, was just beginning to wake up to the fact that the Second Amendent was in danger, and not just in the South, Northeast, and California, but everywhere.

Someone could also tell Ms Lennard that Democrats, at this time, or just a few years before, supported segregation.

Still, I would like to know if the NRA took a position on this legislation. I rather doubt it.

I would also like to find the records of how many Democrats voted for this ban, and against it.

WalkingWolf

In a Salon article, Natasha Lennard claims that the NRA supported the 1967 ban on loaded open carry in California.

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/03/the_nras_flip_flop_on_african_americans/

I do not know if this is true. The left constantly makes things up, and lives on lies.

On the other hand, the NRA, in 1967, was just beginning to wake up to the fact that the Second Amendent was in danger, and not just in the South, Northeast, and California, but everywhere.

Someone could also tell Ms Lennard that Democrats, at this time, or just a few years before, supported segregation.

Still, I would like to know if the NRA took a position on this legislation. I rather doubt it.

I would also like to find the records of how many Democrats voted for this ban, and against it.

I don't think anyone had an idea in 1967 how dangerous it was to compromise with our rights, even the NRA. The sentiment at the time was caused by a radical group that carried weapons openly. They let their hatred be a rally to limit rights, this has happened to us so many times. Even today the NRA disses the 2A with the push for concealed carry by permit, and linking OC to those same permits. That is not the 2A, a right is not licensed.

KBCraig

I noticed the complete lack of any citations to support the claims in that article.

If she had posted it here instead of on Salon, it would have been a one-way nuclear war.