• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent Seattle shooting. "We need more police"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So you don't consider a photo or video of the alleged offense to be "witness testimony" of a sort, that one is confronted with? \

(oy here we go again)

It is not a 'witness' and your comment "of a sort" and the courts response has also agreed. It is why the law pertaining to red light/photo tickets are written the way they are. They are not 'criminal' but administrative in nature. However, continuing to use cameras in an expanding role will cause issues with amendment VI.

Metalhead47

It is not a 'witness' and your comment "of a sort" and the courts response has also agreed. It is why the law pertaining to red light/photo tickets are written the way they are. They are not 'criminal' but administrative in nature. However, continuing to use cameras in an expanding role will cause issues with amendment VI.

Ok, so then what's your solution? I don't mean that to be facetious, I honestly want to know. The rampantness of red light running, et al, demonstrates people's lack of responsibility to safely drive. How do you propose that be changed? I just don't see any other way to combat the threat, other than a motorcycle cop at every intersection. One cannot legislate responsibility, and one who does not want to learn cannot be taught.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ok, so then what's your solution? I don't mean that to be facetious, I honestly want to know. The rampantness of red light running, et al, demonstrates people's lack of responsibility to safely drive. How do you propose that be changed? I just don't see any other way to combat the threat, other than a motorcycle cop at every intersection. One cannot legislate responsibility, and one who does not want to learn cannot be taught.

I do not think that $124 tickets for slowly rolling around a right hand turn is the correct fix. And that is a huge majority of the tickets assigned, NOT actual running of an intersection. I received one of these (I beat the ticket) and watched in court that morning a dozen similar videos. Every single person slowed significantly (less than 5mph) before making the turn. Some even stopped past the 'white line' and then turned.

When an collision occurs AND the red light was run (use camera's in this instance as one piece of evidence) THEN increase the penalties against the offender. Make the penalties harsher and more effective.

amlevin

Interesting... didn't know that, can you cite? Sounds similar to those DOT "incident response" trucks I see. Although, in this society a dedicated "technician" would probably cost just as much, if not more than a LEO. New gov't bureaucracy, new czar, new union, yadda yadda yadda :banghead: Not saying it's a bad idea intrinsically tho :p

Here in Washington, those "Incident Response Trucks" are there to provide support for the LEO's that investigate the accident. They provide traffic control, remove vehicles from traffic lanes if possible, provide limited Hazmat response with absorbents, damming material, etc. The accidents are investigated by WSP, Sheriff's, or City Police.

Go to the East Coast and Larger cities use personnel similar to "Meter Maids" to investigate accidents. If there is an arrest to be made due to alcohol, etc, then a sworn officer is used but the "hours long paperwork, etc." is done by them and they make a salary/wage more comparable to an administrative office worker. Training requirements are far lessas they don't need to be trained in pursuit driving, firearms, hand-hand combat, and Criminal Law. Physical requirements are reduced as well. Ever been to San Francisco and seen the old 3-Wheel Harley's? That was one of their tasks, accidents and traffic.

Go to European Countries and you'll find the same practice. I saw it in GB and Germany. For some reason, it appears to be ingrained in our society that it takes a Police Officer to investigate a traffic accident. The biggest beneficiaries of a traffic accident investigation seem to be Insurance Companies. Let them fund it and take it away from the waste of a Government agency entirely.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Here in Washington, those "Incident Response Trucks" are there to provide support for the LEO's that investigate the accident. They provide traffic control, remove vehicles from traffic lanes if possible, provide limited Hazmat response with absorbents, damming material, etc. The accidents are investigated by WSP, Sheriff's, or City Police.

Go to the East Coast and Larger cities use personnel similar to "Meter Maids" to investigate accidents. If there is an arrest to be made due to alcohol, etc, then a sworn officer is used but the "hours long paperwork, etc." is done by them and they make a salary/wage more comparable to an administrative office worker. Training requirements are far lessas they don't need to be trained in pursuit driving, firearms, hand-hand combat, and Criminal Law. Physical requirements are reduced as well. Ever been to San Francisco and seen the old 3-Wheel Harley's? That was one of their tasks, accidents and traffic.

Go to European Countries and you'll find the same practice. I saw it in GB and Germany. For some reason, it appears to be ingrained in our society that it takes a Police Officer to investigate a traffic accident. The biggest beneficiaries of a traffic accident investigation seem to be Insurance Companies. Let them fund it and take it away from the waste of a Government agency entirely.

LOL No I have not been to San Forsakenso! I would sooner take a leisurely stroll beneath Shayol Ghul its self than set foot within a hundred miles of that pit of evil.

The accident response techs do seem like a good idea tho, with all the budget issues around here you'd think someone would have suggested it by now. If the east cost libs do it, the Seattle libs should be all over the idea :eek:

amlevin

LOL No I have not been to San Forsakenso! I would sooner take a leisurely stroll beneath Shayol Ghul its self than set foot within a hundred miles of that pit of evil.

The accident response techs do seem like a good idea tho, with all the budget issues around here you'd think someone would have suggested it by now. If the east cost libs do it, the Seattle libs should be all over the idea :eek:

Change is slow. Remember when ALL evidence gathering was done only by patrol officers and detectives (well, maybe your not as old as I)? Today there are "evidence technicians" and of course, the famous "CSI". For some changes it will take not just managers and politicians to recognize the benefit, it will also take some cooperation from Unions. Not too many would appreciate having jobs reclassified to "non-sworn officer status" and have a corresponding reduction on pay range.

All change is resisted, even if it makes sense. when it comes to Unions for some reason. It's almost as if they don't recognize that their rank and file pay taxes too.

sudden valley gunner

Most traffic violations are not criminal any more, they are civil infractions hence why the courts and city have so much leeway.

boatswain

I agree more police presence on foot would help with, especially with areas like that corner on Second Ave. There is a police substation nearby on 3rd at Macys but they need to be on foot.

Don't underestimate the number of people who conceal carry in downtown Seattle. There have been two self defense shootings by conceal carriers in recent years within a few blocks of that corner.