• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not this again... Gun buyback in Muskegon

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I have a mosin nagant that is trashed... won't even fire. I wonder how much they will give me for that?
If I decide to go, I will be carrying my pistol OC... :p

i love it! they will probably check to see if the firing pin works, so maybe nothing, but still fun regardless. i have an old sterling .22 that jams a lot and i've thought about taking it to a buyback just to get an estimate, then walking out with it if they low-ball.

eastmeyers

They are usually a set price. From what I can remember... The .org that usually does these things usually pays:

$25 for long guns
$50 for pistols
$100 for "assault weapons"

So if you have a rifle or shotgun, make sure you cut it down to a SBR/SBS FIRST!!! (I WOULDN'T actually do this seeing as how it is illegal, BUT they would consider it an "assault weapon", and you would most likely get 4X the money, and they give you "amnesty", and its "no questions asked" usually) Just sayin. Oh and in case I didn't mention, cutting down your firearm to an illegal length IS ILLEGAL!!! Roll your own dice!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
They are usually a set price. From what I can remember... The .org that usually does these things usually pays:

$25 for long guns
$50 for pistols

So if you have a rifle or shotgun, make sure you cut it down to a SBR/SBS FIRST!!! (I WOULDN'T actually do this seeing as how it is illegal, BUT they would consider it an "assault weapon", and you would most likely get 4X the money, and they give you "amnesty", and its "no questions asked" usually) Just sayin. Oh and in case I didn't mention, cutting down your firearm to an illegal length IS ILLEGAL!!! Roll your own dice!
Yep, I wouldn't cut it down. But, the reason I won't fire it is not the firing pin. The barrel is bad (all internal damage) from an owner previous to my friend. Huge pits and it may be pretty weak. The bayonet is also permanently welded to gun so maybe it could be an "assault weapon" (lol). Since I paid nothing for it, 25 dollars wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited:

maustin195

$25 for long guns
$50 for pistols

I would still like to know what law allows these buybacks to violate federal law. How can they buy pistols without filling out the proper paperwork ? How can they ignore federal law about possesion of illegal weapons as people bring them in ? How does a private orginization get to pick and choose what laws it chooses to ignore just because they wrongly believe this is a good program ?

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I would still like to know what law allows these buybacks to violate federal law. How can they buy pistols without filling out the proper paperwork ? How can they ignore federal law about possesion of illegal weapons as people bring them in ? How does a private orginization get to pick and choose what laws it chooses to ignore just because they wrongly believe this is a good program ?

I'm sure some paperwork is done. But what allows the police to take possession of your firearms and then destroy them. Oh ya, police powers.

eastmeyers

What they are doing is TOTALLY illegal! Its called selective enforcement. Everyone's jurisdiction or purview that this lands in, has a nod-nod, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, everyone goes about their day and doesn't enforce these particular laws on these particular folks. This HAS to be how it works, because it has been raked over the coals in the past, and we were able to come up with about a dozen or so laws being broken, civil infractions, misdemeanors and felonies. None of which had, exemptions for "gun buy backs".

But selective enforcement is NOTHING new when it comes to law enforcement. Look at AB&E, it is ILLEGAL for anyone under the age of 17 to attend without a parent. How many times have you speed while driving and YOU KNOW a cop saw you? The issue here is, it is SEVERAL laws being broken at once, and they aren't just civil infractions.

Does this make sense? (not what they are doing, but my explanation)

Last edited:

maustin195

I'm sure some paperwork is done. But what allows the police to take possession of your firearms and then destroy them. Oh ya, police powers.

What do yu think the chances are that stolen weapons are returned to their lawful owners when found during these buybacks ? What about the guns used in crimes, are they not destroying evidence? As you can tell I don't like how they are allowed to ignore laws that others would serve prison time for because they think wrongly they are doing something positive.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Probably pretty good, it would do more to generate support for the buy back programs if they told the person thier property was found during a buyback.

I'm not going to lie, if MY firearms were stolen, then later on were returned, and they said they turned up at a "gun buy back", I would be pretty happy!

On the other hand, if I was SHOT, and the round was recovered, and MIRACULOUSLY they ballisticly knew which weapon it came from (which BTW RARELY HAPPENS). Then it turned up at a "gun buy back", but because of that there were ZERO leads, because they have a policy, of amnesty. I would be pretty PO'd, that someone "walked" away with cash, after shooting me!

Last edited:

Venator

More importantly who is going to go there and buy some guns before the police? I don't know if this church is on a street with a side walk, but a sign on a car parked in front might get you a decent firearm at a good price.

TheQ

More importantly who is going to go there and buy some guns before the police? I don't know if this church is on a street with a side walk, but a sign on a car parked in front might get you a decent firearm at a good price.

I'm up for going if someone else is going and I'm on the way...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
What they are doing is TOTALLY illegal! Its called selective enforcement. Everyone's jurisdiction or purview that this lands in, has a nod-nod, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, everyone goes about their day and doesn't enforce these particular laws on these particular folks. This HAS to be how it works, because it has been raked over the coals in the past, and we were able to come up with about a dozen or so laws being broken, civil infractions, misdemeanors and felonies. None of which had, exemptions for "gun buy backs".

But selective enforcement is NOTHING new when it comes to law enforcement. Look at AB&E, it is ILLEGAL for anyone under the age of 17 to attend without a parent. How many times have you speed while driving and YOU KNOW a cop saw you? The issue here is, it is SEVERAL laws being broken at once, and they aren't just civil infractions.

Does this make sense? (not what they are doing, but my explanation)

Police officers are exempt from most laws... being so knowledgeable about guns (sarcasm) they ARE so special . I've always considered it a gross violation of "equal protection" that the congress has given RETIRED LEOs exemption from state and local concealed carry laws... even though they have absolutely no police power. Michigan does the same by exempting retired and reserve/auxiliary officers from the cpl no cc zones. They have no more power than any other citizen.

Sheldon

$25 for long guns
$50 for pistols

So who's going to set up shop outside and offer $30 for long guns, $55 for pistols, and $110 for "assault weapons"?

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Police officers are exempt from most laws... being so knowledgeable about guns (sarcasm) they ARE so special . I've always considered it a gross violation of "equal protection" that the congress has given RETIRED LEOs exemption from state and local concealed carry laws... even though they have absolutely no police power. Michigan does the same by exempting retired and reserve/auxiliary officers from the cpl no cc zones. They have no more power than any other citizen.

Here is one for the ages!
http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2011/04/22/news/doc4db19e214cd88559323789.txt
:shocker::shocker::shocker:

Venator