• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL expired yesterday, awaiting renewal... a question.

cbpeck

Hello,

My CPL expired yesterday, and I don't expect my renewal to be ready for another week or so. I understand this affects my ability to transport handguns in a vehicle, but doesn't technically impact my ability to OC.
Here's the thing, we are hosting a for profit event at my personal residence. OC is out of the question for this one, so I would like to CC. Is it legal to CC at my residence without a CPL?

Any opinions appreciated, especially those with sources.

hermannr

As long as you are at home, or at your business, no CPL is necessary.

Curious, why would OC be out of question at you own home? It is YOUR home, and you can do as you please in your own home. For profit, or not, if your customers cannot understand that...I say tuff.

PS: Good education opportunity. Get some of the OC pamphlets and pass them out.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

As long as you are at home, or at your business, no CPL is necessary.

Curious, why would OC be out of question at you own home? It is YOUR home, and you can do as you please in your own home. For profit, or not, if your customers cannot understand that...I say tuff.

PS: Good education opportunity. Get some of the OC pamphlets and pass them out.

I am not the victim of this restriction in this case, however often time a spouse/GF/BF may call for such limitations.

If the party is co-workers then it may cost the man his job. IF it is members of his church, then it may cause him to not be welcome back. If it is family, it may cause much friction and it could make any further family communications difficult at best.

However, I too wonder why he would not OC in his own home in this case.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Hello,

My CPL expired yesterday, and I don't expect my renewal to be ready for another week or so. I understand this affects my ability to transport handguns in a vehicle, but doesn't technically impact my ability to OC.
Here's the thing, we are hosting a for profit event at my personal residence. OC is out of the question for this one, so I would like to CC. Is it legal to CC at my residence without a CPL?

Any opinions appreciated, especially those with sources.

:idea:You really had to ask and did not know? must be really new to carry and likely being the case here take time read and learn what you need to know to keep yourself out of trouble
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
If you are realistically expecting your CPL renewal in a "week" you are very fortunate to be living where you are. Many other places in the State are taking 1-2 months at the current time.

hermannr

I am not the victim of this restriction in this case, however often time a spouse/GF/BF may call for such limitations.

If the party is co-workers then it may cost the man his job. IF it is members of his church, then it may cause him to not be welcome back. If it is family, it may cause much friction and it could make any further family communications difficult at best.

However, I too wonder why he would not OC in his own home in this case.

I don't know, call it excuses maybe. I carry when go to Church, OC in the summer, and it is only covered in the winter because of the coat. (I don't wear a suit to church, thems "work" clothes, or at least used to be...I'm retired now)

Family? if they don't like it, they can learn, need to learn, that it is not a real problem. I have a SIL that is an anti...his family super so. I OC into his house, and he knows, if he complains, grandkids will not see their grandma and grandpa...that is just the way it is. Haven't got him shooting yet, but at least he lets his kids shoot now...(15 years they've been married)