• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Convention (OC related posts)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
975044_543434282373326_909397123_n.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
During one of the three hour waits, I was sitting next to my camera on the media section. Bill Janis came by and started joking with two friends.

I walked over and said Excuse me but aren't you Senator Saslaw. He literally roared "I am NOT Senator Saslaw"

Then he realized who I was and pointed his finger at me and said "Here I've been nice to you all these years. I'll get you for that".:lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
You are old news, they had a new fish. None of the folks at the VCDL table (if there was one) OC'ed?

OTR!
One of Del. Bell's assistant's asked me to be a delegate for Rob. I declined for a varitey of reasons, teh two main ones.
The first being, I have no one to watch my kids and I wasn't willing to leave them in the child care area they provided.
Secondly, I'm not voting for Del Bell for AG. I've asked repeatedly for the last three yrs for him to patron a personal defense/rights bill (pro2A), not once did he reply to that request. Yet, he was the patron of a bill to add correction officers to the list of folks that are EXEMPT from needing a CHP.

I hate bills for the only ones, special class public employees.

Marco - I was at the VCDL table on Saturday, though I spent most of the day away from the table handing out stickers. Philip and I and others were open carrying.

I actually thought there was more OC than the last time I attended.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I had what I thought was the absolute best experience yesterday.

I was standing just inside the front door, handing out GSL stickers, and also had a roll each of "NO GUN CONTROL" and the just-say-no-to-JMDD stickers.

Jeannemarie was, at one point, standing not three feet to my left, talking to a man. She was speaking softly, but I heard the words "gun show" a couple of times. For at least ten minutes, perhaps even 15 or more, we were in the same relative positions.

Throughout this, I had people MOBBING me for stickers. Often several deep. I was freely handing out GSL, and offering the others to whomever wanted them; I didn't have enough hands for all 3.

Several people during the day asked me about the no-JMDD sticker, and I explained. I was amused at the number who had bought her line that she owns a gun and thus is pro-2A. (I'd love to see her load and fire that gun!) One woman at the table, as I was explaining the sticker to another person, said "but she owns a gun!" When I said yes, she says so and I have no reason to doubt her, but she's endorsed by Bloomberg, told me "that was years ago" and when I said "she also carried a gun-control bill" the woman sniffed, tossed her head, and walked away.

Many people asked for specifics, and I was pleased I had read the PAC e-mail detailing the rationale, so I had facts on the tip of my tongue.

Only one negative comment all day. A Jeannemarie person walked by and said "smart people save lives, not guns". He was gone before I had a chance to engage him at all, but you might imagine the two are not mutually exclusive. (And does he think Jeannemarie is "smart"?)

One person wanted to know if it's the person who kills, and not the gun, how a gun can save a life. I had to go very basic in explaining to her the deterrent effect of firearms and confidence.

Since I had absolutely no personal concern at all for who was nominated (other than being able to articulate for VCDL), I was able to just enjoy the outside of the apparent goat-rope inside. I was exhausted as I left, but consider it a great day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since I had absolutely no personal concern at all for who was nominated (other than being able to articulate for VCDL), I was able to just enjoy the outside of the apparent goat-rope inside. I was exhausted as I left, but consider it a great day.

Amen!

I said elsewhere today "Tess, Dale and the others were doing a great job"

There was a sea of GSL stickers.

MARCO....sorry I missed you!

The two best predictors turned out to be a TV Engineer from NOVA, who called it perfectly on Friday evening, and a VCDL member who I had met at the picnic and had mistaken me for another VCDL member.

Anyway, he had it pegged pretty well too but his was based more on what happens to the vote pool of candidates that were eliminated.

Last edited:

Marco

Amen!

I said elsewhere today "Tess, Dale and the others were doing a great job"

There was a sea of GSL stickers.

MARCO....sorry I missed you!

The two best predictors turned out to be a TV Engineer from NOVA, who called it perfectly on Friday evening, and a VCDL member who I had met at the picnic and had mistaken me for another VCDL member.

Anyway, he had it pegged pretty well too but his was based more on what happens to the vote pool of candidates that were eliminated.

I didn't get to go... I wanted and planned to be a delegate but the wife's job had different ideas. I have friends that went. :)
With no one to watch the kids (nearest relative is in NYC) I had no desire to brave the crowd and waiting around with 4 kids.

scouser

From the latest VCDL e-mail, [snip]
If you are a delegate, stop by the VCDL booth and say, "hello." We are on the 7th Street side of the building, on almost the opposite side from the main entrance on 5th Street.
=====================

I don't understand, why would VCDL set up the booth at the furthest point from the main entrance?
don't know what you're looking here for ... oh yeah, "reading between the lines"
Wouldn't it make sense to be in a highly visible position where people can see the booth as soon as they walk in?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My guess would be that you don't always get to pick your own location.

They give the nearest locations to the tables that have the purdy girls in the too tight dresses.:lol: Selling stuff.

This woman wanted to show me her ....er, necklace she was selling:rolleyes:

twoforme

They give the nearest locations to the tables that have the purdy girls in the too tight dresses.:lol: Selling stuff.

This woman wanted to show me her ....er, necklace she was selling:rolleyes:

Well did you .... um, buy Her necklace ??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Jackson is good...dance

[video=youtube;RkQKdIsfvl8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RkQKdIsfvl8[/video]
;;;;

The Wolfhound

Can anyone clarify?

A rumor reached me that it was necessary for the Republican Party to purchase additional insurance to "ALLOW" the carry of weapons at the convention site? My initial response is BS, then WTF? Extra insurance for a constitutionally protected legal excercise? Did this occur? How could such a requirement (in a City owned property) be legal or justified? I feel outrage simmering again. Can anyone clear this up?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A rumor reached me that it was necessary for the Republican Party to purchase additional insurance to "ALLOW" the carry of weapons at the convention site? My initial response is BS, then WTF? Extra insurance for a constitutionally protected legal excercise? Did this occur? How could such a requirement (in a City owned property) be legal or justified? I feel outrage simmering again. Can anyone clear this up?

I too have questioned this oft repeated allegation - started with the previous GOP convention. Would like to see the defining clause/rider in that policy and the premium associated with it.