• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4 dead, 21 wounded.... in DUI crash

DeSchaine

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bikenut

Sue the car manufacturer!!!!! Limit cars to only 2 cylinders and a top speed of 10 miles per hour!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Americans do have an affinity for machines that are known to cause serious injury and death.

From birth they are predisposed to spend so much of their life with them, it becomes commonplace/normal - guilty by association.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Automatic transmission? Large capacity fuel tank? The allusions are endless.

Sound suppressors? The auto drivers are all driving with sound suppressors attached to 1500 lb weapons! Heck! The design concept is identical--baffles!!

Ban baffles!! Only allow baffles after a tax stamp is paid!! Oh, wait. That's what that little sticker on the windshield or license plate is: a tax stamp.

But! but! but! Did the recipient (sic for tax victim) have to pass a separate backround check in order to obtain his baffle device from Midas Muffler?

Serious Note: It occurs to me that the self-defense world should just start calling those simple gizmos on the end of a threaded barrel mufflers. Wanta bet whether that totally defangs all the negative arguments against them? "No, I don't want a silencer to commit a crime. I want a muffler for health reasons--to reduce hearing loss."

Last edited:

OC for ME

The alleged driver is allegedly mentally incompetent to be responsible for the alleged acts. Where are the cries for mental health evaluations before being allowed to purchase.

solus

The alleged driver is allegedly mentally incompetent to be responsible for the alleged acts. Where are the cries for mental health evaluations before being allowed to purchase.

OC4MEW, shhhhh...that will be the next mantra being echo'd ....MH bkgnd check before you are able to get a state level DL!!! (aka another profit center for the state)
(btw, and i do not know this as fact but don't those with CDLs, all endorsements need a 'complete' physical...does that include a rudimentary MH screening?)
ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hmmm - mental evaluation before being allowed to register on OCDO.

Who shall the final judge be? :cool:

solus

a side note...might wish to change the title...dropping the concept of DUI...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a side note...might wish to change the title...dropping the concept of DUI...

ipse
Adjusted the title to reflect the number of victims deceased, but have found nothing to indicate any change in suspicion of driver DUI.

OC for ME

OC4MEW, shhhhh...that will be the next mantra being echo'd ....MH bkgnd check before you are able to get a state level DL!!! (aka another profit center for the state)
(btw, and i do not know this as fact but don't those with CDLs, all endorsements need a 'complete' physical...does that include a rudimentary MH screening?)
ipse
CDL? I've had one and as long as I did not knock a orange cone over during the test...

Nice folks, drivers...but, after all they still be a truck driver...

Wstar425

CDL? I've had one and as long as I did not knock a orange cone over during the test...

Nice folks, drivers...but, after all they still be a truck driver...

I've been a CDL 18 wheeler driver since 1978. DOT Physical does not include any mental health screening. Things have changed in the last couple of years and the Doctors require different training now, so you probably can't just go to your regular Doctor and get your DOT Physical any more. An entire industry has sprouted up for this, usually included in with occupational therapy and rehab, maybe at the free clinic on the seedy side of town.

I believe it is pretty much a given that you have to be a little bit insane to want to be a truck driver. Professional Truck Driver, yesterday I couldn't even spell it; today I are one!!! Yay! They do converse with you on some casual level, but I don't know if that is part of any evaluation of not. Hearing screening consists of whispering numbers from behind you, which you must then repeat correctly. Always struck me as rather unscientific.

Since I'm on the subject, plenty of truckers out there today with barely a rudimentary grasp of the English language. Of course I'm biased, but car driving behavior is pretty much atrocious, worse than truckers BY FAR! Mostly a matter of not knowing, or understanding what they are dealing with as far as stopping, starting and turning requirements.

I have every endorsement known to mankind, I think, specialize in hauling hazardous materials. I've had 7 placards on my trailer at one time. 3.5 million miles, been in 48 states. Not all accident free, but none real serious. I'm ready to quit by the end of most days.

Last edited:

solus

I've been a CDL 18 wheeler driver since 1978. DOT Physical does not include any mental health screening. Things have changed in the last couple of years and the Doctors require different training now, so you probably can't just go to your regular Doctor and get your DOT Physical any more. An entire industry has sprouted up for this, usually included in with occupational therapy and rehab, maybe at the free clinic on the seedy side of town.

I believe it is pretty much a given that you have to be a little bit insane to want to be a truck driver. Professional Truck Driver, yesterday I couldn't even spell it; today I are one!!! Yay! They do converse with you on some casual level, but I don't know if that is part of any evaluation of not. Hearing screening consists of whispering numbers from behind you, which you must then repeat correctly. Always struck me as rather unscientific.

Since I'm on the subject, plenty of truckers out there today with barely a rudimentary grasp of the English language. Of course I'm biased, but car driving behavior is pretty much atrocious, worse than truckers BY FAR! Mostly a matter of not knowing, or understanding what they are dealing with as far as stopping, starting and turning requirements.

I have every endorsement known to mankind, I think, specialize in hauling hazardous materials. I've had 7 placards on my trailer at one time. 3.5 million miles, been in 48 states. Not all accident free, but none real serious. I'm ready to quit by the end of most days.

kudos Wstar...better man than i am...whew!!

ipse

OC for ME

I was a day driver, hauling timber from the various harvest sites in several counties in the Pee Dee area of SC, to a paper mill in Georgetown SC. Started at daylight and stopped at dusk ;). Ran the county roads cuz SCDOT troopers were very rare to see. Got paid by the load.

Seen too many to count fourwheelers thinking that I could stop just as quickly as they. I moved on to greener pastures when my boss wanted me to start hauling timber from GA to a IP mill in N. Charleston SC. Nope, I ain't making no money for a GA timber farmer.

mynameiscolb

I was at the homecoming parade where this happened. Sad and tragic. We were about two blocks away when it occurred.

The woman is being charged with 4 counts of 2nd degree murder (may be upgraded to 5 soon), and they believe toxicology results will show some sort of prescription medications in her blood. All witness accounts seem to point to this being an intentional attack.

One of the victims was a 2 year old boy. I don't know the father, personally, but alumni and our University have raised over $20,000 for the family of each deceased victim.

Just goes to show that guns are not the problem.

Last edited: