• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR: "Don't shoot yourself"

anmut

Just in case you guys had any questions about the upcoming gun-deer season, the smart people at the WDNR has some good advice.

http://host.madison.com/news/state_and_regional/article_0e9195bd-8024-5754-a6c8-d0865f64325c.html

State wildlife officials are warning hunters not to shoot themselves as the November gun deer season approaches.

Department of Natural Resources Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern says self-inflicted injuries account for 40 to 50 percent of the total number of hunting incidents each year.

Lawhern says hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves or anyone else. They also should remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they're ready to fire.

J.Gleason

Banned
Just in case you guys had any questions about the upcoming gun-deer season, the smart people at the WDNR has some good advice.

http://host.madison.com/news/state_and_regional/article_0e9195bd-8024-5754-a6c8-d0865f64325c.html

State wildlife officials are warning hunters not to shoot themselves as the November gun deer season approaches.

Department of Natural Resources Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern says self-inflicted injuries account for 40 to 50 percent of the total number of hunting incidents each year.

Lawhern says hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves or anyone else. They also should remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they're ready to fire.

There, now you have been trained by the DNR.

M

McX

Jeez, me thinks i'll stay in town, out of the woods for awhile.

M

McX

I don't know Doug, i've been listening to talk radio, and it seems like the DNR is the new target of opportunity, even the Gov-to-be is on their case. I hear they have a lack of humanity, and too much authority. That's not for me to decide. But apparently a shake up is in the works for them. I would tend to make challenge on the point of them being a gun anything organization; tax collectors and enforcers to me. Your (amended) view?

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

Ya wouldn't have to bother making jerky after that either...

True...but the fuel derivatives would kill the flavor.

For the DNR to make such a statement sure doesnt say a whole lot for the Hunter Safety Instructors or the latest batch of Hunter Safety graduates.

Shooting myself is the least of my concerns.

For those that are forced to use Public Hunting Land I am very surprised the Drunken Naked Rednecks havent made the use of body armor mandatory.

LR Yote 312

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

Hmmm, don't shoot myself while deer hunting......Check

Certainly don't shoot yourself 24 hrs prior to deer season. That would really be bad.

That wouldnt have anything to do with the amount of alcohol the Dumb Naked Rednecks are expecting us to consume in deer camp, Would it ??

With so many being unemployed and not being able to afford a license about the only thing left to do IS drink.

LR Yote 312

PT111

I see the DNR of almost every state getting bashed on this and about every other gun forum I visit sometimes for good reason. They seem to keep saying stupid things such as "Don't shoot yourself" while out hunting. With 40-50% of all gun accidents involving people shooting themselves I am not so sure that it isn't a stupid warning. I can't remember whether it was just a warning or an outright ban in one area on white toilet paper. It seems that they had several people shot in the woods while using white toilet paper as it is intended to be used by others thinking they were white tailed deer. How do you mistake someone wiping their butt with a deer?

The real stupidity isn't from the DNR but rather from the general public and apparently stupidity runs rampant in the general public. Similar to the ban on loaded OC at gun shows I trust myself to know and follow the four rules of gun safety and maybe I trust you. But I don't trust the rest of the idiots at the show or those out in the woods hunting. It may be stupid to tell people to not shoot themselves, maybe een to tell them 100 times. For some reason it doesn't sink in for a lot of people and they keep thinking it can't and won't happen to me. In fact I would be willing to be that every person that has shot themselves had said that before they did it.

If someone can come up with a better solution for people shooting themselves then I am sure the DNR would like to hear about it. Until then it will just probably be more stupid statements for stupid people.

Old Grump

I don't see the problem. Most of the injuries are self inflicted or done by fellow hunters in the party. Seems like when you only touch a gun once a year you need to be reminded. Especially if you hit the woods on opening day with 3 hours of sleep and a hangover. DNR isn't to blame for stupid people, they give out good advice to people who won't pay attention and you jump down DNR throat. That doesn't make sense to me.

anmut

I see the DNR of almost every state getting bashed on this and about every other gun forum I visit sometimes for good reason. They seem to keep saying stupid things such as "Don't shoot yourself" while out hunting. With 40-50% of all gun accidents involving people shooting themselves I am not so sure that it isn't a stupid warning. I can't remember whether it was just a warning or an outright ban in one area on white toilet paper. It seems that they had several people shot in the woods while using white toilet paper as it is intended to be used by others thinking they were white tailed deer. How do you mistake someone wiping their butt with a deer?

The real stupidity isn't from the DNR but rather from the general public and apparently stupidity runs rampant in the general public. Similar to the ban on loaded OC at gun shows I trust myself to know and follow the four rules of gun safety and maybe I trust you. But I don't trust the rest of the idiots at the show or those out in the woods hunting. It may be stupid to tell people to not shoot themselves, maybe een to tell them 100 times. For some reason it doesn't sink in for a lot of people and they keep thinking it can't and won't happen to me. In fact I would be willing to be that every person that has shot themselves had said that before they did it.

If someone can come up with a better solution for people shooting themselves then I am sure the DNR would like to hear about it. Until then it will just probably be more stupid statements for stupid people.

Yeah, maybe 40-50% shoot themselves, I'll give you that. BUT you have to remember there's only a half dozen accidents A SEASON. So three people shoot themselves and that's why we need a nanny note from the DNR? Out of the thousands out there firing high-power rifles?

I believe your chances are better to get killed in a car accident driving up to your hunting spot than a firearm related injury, so where's the note on that?

It's just more typical "guns are dumb and owned by dumb people" way of thinking from Madison.