• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 4009 - Let's get it moving!

TheQ

We should contact people to get this bill moving.

HB 4009 would repeal MCL 28.425o. Thereby making it legal for anyone with a CPL to carry concealed ANYWHERE in the State. No more PFZs. This would ALSO clear up ANY question about "legislative intent" of the "CPL Open Carry loophole", making it FAR less of a "loophole".

It was referred to the House Judiciary Committee. Therefore, let's make a day to call them -- everyone on the same day. Here's the plan -- On Thur. January 20, 2011 call as many of these Reps as you can. If you can't call them all then be sure to call the Chair and Vice Chairs. Tell them you'd like them to support HB 4009, which is presently in front of the Judiciary Committee on which they sit. If you get tongue tied, consider saying this:

Hello, I'd like to speak to the staff person who deals with issues related to the Judiciary Committee. (Wait to be connected) Hi, My name is, (insert your name) and I'm calling to urge Rep. (Insert the Representative's name here) to support HB 4009. HB 4009 allows lawful citizens who have a concealed pistol permit to carry their handguns concealed anywhere in Michigan so that they can better protect themselves, those they love, and others around them. I believe this will make us all safer. I believe if more people in Arizona carried firearms the recent tragedy wouldn't have had nearly as many victims. I hope (he/she) will consider supporting this bill and talk to Chairman Walsh about bringing the bill up for a vote at the committee. I hope during that vote (he/she) will vote to send it to the House Floor with a favorable recommendation.

If you're calling a Democrat on the list it bears mentioning this bill came from a member who is in their own caucus, Rep. Richard LeBlanc!

If you are calling Chairman Walsh you can say:

Hello, I'd like to speak to the staff person who deals with issues related to the Judiciary Committee. (Wait to be connected) Hi, My name is, (insert your name) and I'm calling to urge Rep. Walsh to support HB 4009. HB 4009 allows lawful citizens who have a concealed pistol permit to carry their handguns concealed anywhere in Michigan so that they can better protect themselves, those they love, and others around them. I believe this will make us all safer. I believe if more people in Arizona carried firearms the recent tragedy wouldn't have had nearly as many victims. I hope Chairman Walsh will consider making this a priority for the committee and I hope he and the committee will send it with a favorable recommendation to the House floor.

If it is YOUR Representative that you're calling BE SURE to tell them you are from their district and you'll be watching how they vote.

Here's a list of people on the committee so you can easily contact them:

Many of the Websites also have toll free #'s if you don't want to burn your own dime.

Please call, even if your representative isn't on the list. If you can call no one else, please call the Chairman. I've done the leg work for you. I hope you'll honor my work by taking the time to call on Thur. January 20, 2011. If you can't call on Thursday or you're reading this post after the 21st of January, please call them as soon as possible!

Cross Posted on MOC.

Last edited:

TheQ

Nice Job.

Why the 20th? Is there a specific reason for that date, or just organization?

Give people a chance to get on here and read it. I'd say tomorrow since many people are off work, but that isn't much time to organize. Will you call on the 20th? :)

kubel

Emailed Walsh. Will do more this week. Thanks for posting all the contact methods!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
To make it easier here are their emails and a sample letter. Modify as you feel fit.

JohnWalsh@house.mi.gov; KurtHeise@house.mi.gov; JudGilbert@house.mi.gov;
kennethhorn@house.mi.gov; PaulScott@house.mi.gov; KurtDamrow@house.mi.gov; PaulMuxlow@house.mi.gov;
BradJacobsen@house.mi.gov; PeterPettalia@house.mi.gov; patsomerville@house.mi.gov; markmeadows@house.mi.gov; bobconstan@house.mi.gov; stacyerwinoakes@house.mi.gov; lisabrown@house.mi.gov; jeffirwin@house.mi.gov; philcavanagh@house.mi.gov; johnolumba@house.mi.gov

Dear Committee Chairman:

I am in favor of rescinding all gun-free zones in Michigan and support HB-4009 . Gun-Free zones do not prevent crime or violence; in fact they encourage just the opposite. I'm asking you to forward this bill on to the House.

Gun-free zones are killing zones. Criminals intent on harm ignore gun-free zones and see them as a place to commit their atrocities with little chance of being harmed by law-abiding citizens. Why, because law-abiding gun owners follow the law? Studies have shown that lawful gun-owners are among the most law-abiding segment of society, committing fewer crimes than even law enforcement officers.

In this country the most heinous and largest mass killings occur in gun free zones i.e., schools, churches, Military Bases and Malls to name a few. What you don’t see are mass murders in gun stores, police stations and gun ranges or other places people are allowed to bear arms. What differentiates these places is that in one law –abiding citizens are denied the inalienable right to bear arms. Criminals are not going to plan an attack of mass murder in a place where people have a reasonable chance of defending themselves.

The murderous and devastating experiment of gun-free zones has run its course. They do not work. Decades of mass murders have proved this time and time again. The time has come to once again give law-abiding citizens the means necessary to take on the responsibility of defending themselves and their loved ones against evil in all public places. Please remove Gun-free zones in Michigan. It's the right thing to do.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Bronson

To make it easier here are their emails and a sample letter. Modify as you feel fit.

JohnWalsh@house.mi.gov; KurtHeise@house.mi.gov; JudGilbert@house.mi.gov;
kennethhorn@house.mi.gov; PaulScott@house.mi.gov; KurtDamrow@house.mi.gov; PaulMuxlow@house.mi.gov;
BradJacobsen@house.mi.gov; PeterPettalia@house.mi.gov; patsomerville@house.mi.gov; markmeadows@house.mi.gov; bobconstan@house.mi.gov; stacyerwinoakes@house.mi.gov; lisabrown@house.mi.gov; jeffirwin@house.mi.gov; philcavanagh@house.mi.gov; johnolumba@house.mi.gov

Dear Committee Chairman:

I am in favor of rescinding all gun-free zones in Michigan and support HB-4009 . Gun-Free zones do not prevent crime or violence; in fact they encourage just the opposite. I'm asking you to forward this bill on to the House.

Gun-free zones are killing zones. Criminals intent on harm ignore gun-free zones and see them as a place to commit their atrocities with little chance of being harmed by law-abiding citizens. Why, because law-abiding gun owners follow the law? Studies have shown that lawful gun-owners are among the most law-abiding segment of society, committing fewer crimes than even law enforcement officers.

In this country the most heinous and largest mass killings occur in gun free zones i.e., schools, churches, Military Bases and Malls to name a few. What you don’t see are mass murders in gun stores, police stations and gun ranges or other places people are allowed to bear arms. What differentiates these places is that in one law –abiding citizens are denied the inalienable right to bear arms. Criminals are not going to plan an attack of mass murder in a place where people have a reasonable chance of defending themselves.

The murderous and devastating experiment of gun-free zones has run its course. They do not work. Decades of mass murders have proved this time and time again. The time has come to once again give law-abiding citizens the means necessary to take on the responsibility of defending themselves and their loved ones against evil in all public places. Please remove Gun-free zones in Michigan. It's the right thing to do.

Sincerely,

Some corrections, in red.

Bronson

Last edited:

quarter horseman

quick reply

I receaved this yesterday good to see someone is doing there job I love it!

???,

Thank you for your email. I support elimination of the no-carry zones, and appreciate knowing of your support for it as well. Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Kenneth B. Horn
State Representative
94th District

sprinklerguy28

A petition to submit to the Michigan State Legislature in regards to House Bills 4009 and 4010 of 2011 has been started. This petition will be submitted to all members of the Michigan State Legislature and to the Governor. I ask that you sign this petition and forward it to everyone you know. Let us send a clear message to those who represent us.

http://www.petitiononline.com/MIHB4009/petition.html