• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outrageous Amendments withdrawn

77zach

From what I understand, that amendment still leaves College Carry out of the equation. Maybe Dean & Dockery will back it.

Hopefully by analyzing and following every step of this legislation, I'll come to understand the legislative process.

Campus carry is dead in the senate. I assume the House will nuke it too, if only to standardize the bill. Then again, if the votes are there in the Senate, and it's just a matter of bypassing Thrasher's committee, maybe it's possible to bring the bill to the floor with it stuck back in.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
There is no mechanism to just bypass a committee. Campus carry is a fight for another day and in another bill.

77zach

There is no mechanism to just bypass a committee. Campus carry is a fight for another day and in another bill.

Well, if our side only gets to talk maybe there is some outside chance to sway Dean. I don't know if the man is really anti-gun, he's just more pro law enforcement than gun rights. Perhaps he can be made to see how unreasonable the prohibition is. Show him a big cardboard map of the OCDO "map" to get a visual. Maybe some large photos of VCDL people in the Virginia Legislature OCing in committee meetings to show how it's not a problem in the rest of the country. Then he could justify to himself that a vote for us wouldn't really hurt his FSA friends at all.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I don't want to sound like a "I got mine so who cares about you," but College Carry? Colleges are such a hostile environment to rational thinking and intelligence, why would you go there anyway? Students? There are online colleges. Really, all you miss is the drinking and pot smoking. The level of so-called 'education' is the same either way. You're just buying a piece of paper. If you show up in person or online, it's the same piece of paper.

I questioned why it was ever part of this bill to begin with.

Concealed is concealed...... I'm an advocate for refusing to sit at the back of the bus. I'm sure many disapprove.

Do it anyway.

Last edited:

77zach

I don't want to sound like a "I got mine so who cares about you," but College Carry? Colleges are such a hostile environment to rational thinking and intelligence, why would you go there anyway? Students? There are online colleges. Really, all you miss is the drinking and pot smoking. The level of so-called 'education' is the same either way. You're just buying a piece of paper. If you show up in person or online, it's the same piece of paper.

I questioned why it was ever part of this bill to begin with.

Concealed is concealed...... I'm an advocate for refusing to sit at the back of the bus. I'm sure many disapprove.

Do it anyway.

Yeah, I carried all the time when I was at UCF.

But it's all about freedom for freedom sake. Getting OC in as many places as possible is the key to defeating the enemy. The brady campaign admitted that if we can norm guns in public, we'll put them out of business.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The brady campaign admitted that if we can norm guns in public, we'll put them out of business.

And this is why they conceded to CC laws. Out of sight, Out of Mind. They don't give a damn that it affects criminals the same way...

77zach

And this is why they conceded to CC laws. Out of sight, Out of Mind. They don't give a damn that it affects criminals the same way...

Yeah, I never really bought that shall-issue CC dramatically reduced violent crime rates as John Lott put forth. Maybe a little in the urban centers. CC's a whole lot better than nothing, but not enough people are doing it to make a difference. I always laugh when an anti-OC person objects that the BG will know I have a gun. I immediately ask why the U.S. has the lowest rate in the world of "hot" (with owner there) home break ins: "Well, BG's know people have guns."

Oh.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It's been repeated so many times, that you get the element of surprise... Uhm, how about the element of preventing the situation from getting that bad? Anyone still care about that?

The only surprise a CC gets, is the realization that a buried gun is hard to get to, and that OC could have stopped the situation from getting that bad in the first place.... Too late by then. If we have to wait for all the CCers to learn that lesson the hard way....... Well, I just don't wish that on people, they choose to bring it upon themselves....