• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help from the more learned...

~*'Phoenix'*~

Yeah, I was offended when I saw the Florida Constitution's POS version of the RKBA.
I get the whole "state sovereignty from federal regulation" crap, but didn't every state, when joining the Union, accept the US constitution as the 1 and only overriding law of everything, including their own Constitutions?

I know it's a moot point because every local, state, and federal body has tried or succeeded in infringing our rights, but...
technically, doesn't the US constitution supercede anything the Florida state constitution says? If something's different between them, didn't FL have to accept that the US constitution overrides their own where they differ?

firedog

Yeah, I was offended when I saw the Florida Constitution's POS version of the RKBA.
I get the whole "state sovereignty from federal regulation" crap, but didn't every state, when joining the Union, accept the US constitution as the 1 and only overriding law of everything, including their own Constitutions?

I know it's a moot point because every local, state, and federal body has tried or succeeded in infringing our rights, but...
technically, doesn't the US constitution supercede anything the Florida state constitution says? If something's different between them, didn't FL have to accept that the US constitution overrides their own where they differ?
I think the Chicago, IL case proved that one. JMHO

rvrctyrngr

Short answer, No.

The US Constitution was meant to place limits on the Federal Government and respect States' rights. Yes, Federal law trumps state law in most cases, but there is a huge difference with respect to 'rights' vs. 'laws'.

SCOTUS has only ruled 3 times on the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution in its history, Mitchell, Heller, and McDonald...none of which ruled against any specific State law.

Careful what you wish for...FL just passed a law stating we could not be forced to purchase health care...want the Fed to overrule that, too?

Last edited:

firedog

Short answer, No.

Careful what you wish for...FL just passed a law stating we could not be forced to purchase health care...want the Fed to overrule that, too?
OK I don’t want to piss you off like I did some others on here so I’m just asking.. I'm not a law student so take my question with grain of salt..
Health care isn’t addressed in the US Constitution. RKBA is. Rights vs. Laws?

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

OK I don’t want to piss you off like I did some others on here so I’m just asking.. I'm not a law student so take my question with grain of salt..
Health care isn’t addressed in the US Constitution. RKBA is. Rights vs. Laws?

Not ******* me off at all.

You're absolutely right. Health Care isn't addressed in the constitution, yet the US Congress passed a law mandating that everyone must purchase it.

You have the right to keep and bear arms...but not in NYC because of the law....not without a license in FL because of the law...Your license from FL is not valid in California because of the law...making sense yet?

Governments have shown that they can pass any damn law they want, even those infringing on your rights, or completely nullifying them. Until such laws are overturned by a court, right or wrong, they are still 'laws' regardless of your 'rights'.

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Short answer, No.

The US Constitution was meant to place limits on the Federal Government and respect States' rights. Yes, Federal law trumps state law in most cases, but there is a huge difference with respect to 'rights' vs. 'laws'.

SCOTUS has only ruled 3 times on the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution in its history, Mitchell, Heller, and McDonald...none of which ruled against any specific State law.

Honestly? Not sure you want my answer to that question :rolleyes::monkey:rolleyes:.
Bring on the flames... If paying mandatory health insurance (which the Feds passed as though they had full sovereignty) gets me Open Carry (which the state has banned as though they had full sovereignty), I'd call me and the Feds even.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
One may, intentionally or accidentally, openly display a concealed firearm as long as it's 'Brief' - I'm sure the courts will wrestle with this for a while.

It is only illegal to openly display a firearm if done in an intentionally angry or threatening manner. - Which is stupid because we already have a law that covers that.

We are thus saddled, again, with crappy statutory language at the hands of our friends in Tallahassee.

Law crafted by a failed lawyer who now holds the power to legislate....