• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my first 1911

conandan

Just purchased a new Rock Island 1911. Will be at the range later to test it out. I am a glock guy, but I have been reading posts here. I need another carry weapon so I'm going to jump in and see if they are as good as people say. Any advice on what type of ammo might tend to be touchy with 1911' s. And is it recommended to completely strip down for each cleaning or just a basic breakdown. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

WalkingWolf

I usually never have a problem with any ammo, I am currently using golden sabers. BUT I have heard of problems and most of them claim they happen with the first two rounds in the magazine. I carry with one Saber in the pipe, two FMJ on top, and the remaining 5 are Sabers, just as a precaution even though the Sabers feed fine with a full mag of them. I am using a US surplus barrel, nothing fancy, but I have polished the ramp.

First test the gun to make sure the safeties function properly, then test it with FMJ, then try your hollow points. If you run into a problem have the ramp polished, and that should help.

conandan

Well went to the range and run 100 rounds thru it. It felt really nice not as much recoil as I thought it would have. Only 2 things need to address. First the sights are a little difficult and on the last round it miss feed and jammed. But other than that it is a fine weapon.

WalkingWolf

Well went to the range and run 100 rounds thru it. It felt really nice not as much recoil as I thought it would have. Only 2 things need to address. First the sights are a little difficult and on the last round it miss feed and jammed. But other than that it is a fine weapon.

What ammo were you using? Eight or seven round mag? You can open the rear sight up if you are having problems focusing on the front sight.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
My two Rock Islands have eaten everything I have ever fed them. I bought one used and one new and have never had an issue with either one. 1911s are pretty basic, I also have two other ones with no issues. I don't think you'll encounter any feeding issues regardless of the ammunition you choose.

The issue you mentioned is more than likely related to the magazine as opposed to the gun. The standard magazines are pretty cheap. My recommendation is that you ditch them and pick up some better quality magazines like Wilson Combat.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My two Rock Islands have eaten everything I have ever fed them. I bought one used and one new and have never had an issue with either one. 1911s are pretty basic, I also have two other ones with no issues. I don't think you'll encounter any feeding issues regardless of the ammunition you choose.

The issue you mentioned is more than likely related to the magazine as opposed to the gun. The standard magazines are pretty cheap. My recommendation is that you ditch them and pick up some better quality magazines like Wilson Combat.

I run milsurp mags through mine without a hitch. Like barrels I bought a box full of them about thirty years ago. I gave away or sold most of them, I need to find another box of them.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I run milsurp mags through mine without a hitch. Like barrels I bought a box full of them about thirty years ago. I gave away or sold most of them, I need to find another box of them.

I too have a bunch of milsurp mags which function great. Those Rock Island mags are just a little wonky sometimes.

conandan

What ammo were you using? Eight or seven round mag? You can open the rear sight up if you are having problems focusing on the front sight.

It is an 8 round mag. I think it is the mag that's the problem. The rounds don't seem to lay level in the mag. I'll get a new mag and see if that solves the problem. As far as the sights go I think ill just put some paint on the front sight to make it a little easier to see.

WalkingWolf

It is an 8 round mag. I think it is the mag that's the problem. The rounds don't seem to lay level in the mag. I'll get a new mag and see if that solves the problem. As far as the sights go I think ill just put some paint on the front sight to make it a little easier to see.

I hear of problems with the eight round mags, that is why I asked. The problem with them is they have to shorten the part of the follower that rides on the front and back of the mag, at least that is why I think they have more problems. Get some decent 7 round mags and your problem will probably be cured. You don't have to spend 30 bucks a mag for good mags, about half of that, and if you go to gun shows there may still be some milsurp mags floating around.

conandan

I hear of problems with the eight round mags, that is why I asked. The problem with them is they have to shorten the part of the follower that rides on the front and back of the mag, at least that is why I think they have more problems. Get some decent 7 round mags and your problem will probably be cured. You don't have to spend 30 bucks a mag for good mags, about half of that, and if you go to gun shows there may still be some milsurp mags floating around.

I will do that. Thank you for the advice I do appreciate it.

conandan

I went and picked up a 7 round mag. Went to the range and run 200 rounds thru it and not one problem. So ill go get a couple more to keep handy. Thanks for the advice.