• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC at a bank

independence

I open carried at a bank for my first time today at a little bitty chain in my area.

I must admit to having some reservations about how my first OC at a bank was going to go. I was with my wife and kids but I didn't tell my wife I was going to OC. (Better to ask forgiveness than permission, right?) As I got out of the car, she saw me take my jacket off, revealing my firearm. She looked at me nervously and said, "Are you gonna....?" I looked at her like I had no idea what she was talking about. :lol: She rolled her eyes a little and I told her not to worry. Everything would be fine. As we neared the door, my son said, "Daddy, what about your...?" He didn't use the word gun because I have taught him not to disclose to others that I am carrying if I am CCing. When I am OCing, he figures he has to follow the same rules, I guess. :) I said to him, "It will be okay, buddy. Look at the door..." He looked at the door. Not seeing a posting, he said, "Oh..." in a nervous voice.

My wife and I were at the bank with the purpose of opening an account and becoming new customers. This was my test of OC so that I would know if I wanted to use them as a bank. When we walked in, I was pushing a stroller with a little one in it. The tellers greeted us warmly and I told one of them I wanted to open an account. That teller smiled and said, "Just a moment." At that point, a phone rang and she started to step back towards the drive through window to answer it, but suddenly saw the gun. Her eyes got big and she started backing away from the counter and towards the phone. She continued to back away but finally starting walking towards the phone normally, albeit with her head turned nearly all the way backwards like an owl. When she got to the phone, she talked to the other party normally but kept her eyes glued to me.

While that teller was on the phone, another teller said she would help me open an account and brought us to another area. She was great and didn't give me any problems. At one point, I was holding one of my little ones while waiting for my wife who was still working on paperwork when the manager comes up to me. He shook my hand and said thank you for opening an account and that they were very thankful for my business.

Then we left. I am very happy to have a new bank and that they are cool about OC! Success!!

Last edited:

BrianB

Great story. Understandable reaction from the one teller if she wasn't used to seeing it. Even if OC is somewhat common in an area, there's always the chance that someone is "new" and just not acclimated to it yet.

Glad you found a bank where you and your gun are welcome.

Dirk platinum

I believe you are mistaken. Please provide a cite of the applicable law.
Upon further research it seems i was misled by the ffl from which i obtained my permit training .Though in all my years of carrying ive yet to see Tennessee bank with out a gunbuster sign .

SFCRetired

Upon further research it seems i was misled by the ffl from which i obtained my permit training .Though in all my years of carrying ive yet to see Tennessee bank with out a gunbuster sign .

On the serious side of this: Always do your own research, or consult a lawyer, concerning firearms laws. Law enforcement, FFLs, and the drunk on the corner are, far too many times, either sadly misinformed, even more sadly ignorant, or express what their opinion is rather than what the law is.

I do hope you will forgive the fun I had with your original post.

Dirk platinum

On the serious side of this: Always do your own research, or consult a lawyer, concerning firearms laws. Law enforcement, FFLs, and the drunk on the corner are, far too many times, either sadly misinformed, even more sadly ignorant, or express what their opinion is rather than what the law is.

I do hope you will forgive the fun I had with your original post.
As an ardent grammar Nazi I appreciate any mocking of a writing nature .
Even at my own expense .
:cool:

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Having a gunbuster sign is a different thing altogether, of course (especially since as I understand it, signs carry the force of law in Tennessee per Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359).

OC for ME

I open carried at a bank <snip>

Then we left. I am very happy to have a new bank and that they are cool about OC! Success!!
OC softly and carry a recorder. As is the case in any battle won today, tomorrow is another day. I certainly hope that you have very uneventful dealing with your local branch.

I am impressed with your handling of your wife, sneaky, I like that. I'm not sure I'm man enough to go down that road.

Oh Shoot

Seems to me most don't post. Only biggie I know that posts is Regions. My bank, First Tennessee, does not. Some credit unions post, some don't.

- OS

utbob2004

Not Illegal to carry in bank

Hello all,
I worked as a security guard at a credit union in memphis for about 2 years. The branch manager where I worked swore up and down that it was against federal law to carry in a bank. I had to 'educate' her that it was not. We were not posted and I would not have worked there if it was. It was funny that some of the older customers would show me their permit like I was a LEO and I would always respond, a holstered firearm is always welcomed at our branch. I actually switched my bank from Regions to First Tennessee when Regions posted their branches. I refuse to do any business at bank that doesn't allow me to protect myself when doing business since most of the time there is money coming and going.

HPmatt

…. As we neared the door, my son said, "Daddy, what about your...?" He didn't use the word gun because I have taught him not to disclose to others that I am carrying if I am CCing...

Maybe the kids would prefer a nickname - roscoe, heater, hogleg (hawgleg) or farther afield but kid friendly - poptart, butterfly catcher, slowpoke…
You know Jr is going to remember that trip to the bank for the rest of his life - he'll probably tell his kids about it….
Hard for the teller to reconcile that Jesse James was going to rob the bank with a wife, kid and a baby in a stroller in tow.:lol:

Dirk platinum

it all came full circle .Yesterday I carried into my bank ,Upon realizing that my bank had no gun buster sign . As I had been (wrongfully) under impression that carry in a bank was illegal . I was cc'ing not ocing but still .Now I can feel a hell of a lot safer in my bank.
)

Rusty Young Man

Maybe the kids would prefer a nickname - roscoe, heater, hogleg (hawgleg) or farther afield but kid friendly - poptart, butterfly catcher, slowpoke…
You know Jr is going to remember that trip to the bank for the rest of his life - he'll probably tell his kids about it….
Hard for the teller to reconcile that Jesse James was going to rob the bank with a wife, kid and a baby in a stroller in tow.:lol:

The idea of a nickname or "pet name" to substitute for the words "gun" or "pistol" is a good one. I've successfully conditioned most of my family to it, except for the extended family that occasionally still refers to it as "gun" or "that thing" (if I knew I wasn't going to get slapped for it, I might respond "which thing?":p).

It is also pretty beneficial to have the little ones let you know of other armed LACs in code (again, by use of a different pet name; I'm liking the "pop-dart" idea). You know, just so you can be aware in case the armed LAC is not actually carrying in a holster... or a LAC.

To the OP: Kudos on bringing your wife, son, and the little one to help you on your heist. I see you were able to steal enough paperwork, pen ink, and teller's time to complete your nefarious bank-finding operation. Well done.

Last edited:

independence

Having a gunbuster sign is a different thing altogether, of course (especially since as I understand it, signs carry the force of law in Tennessee per Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359).

Seems to me most don't post. Only biggie I know that posts is Regions. My bank, First Tennessee, does not. Some credit unions post, some don't.

- OS

Yeah, my bank isn't posted. It's unfortunate that HCP instructors continuously spread so much misinformation. Not even once can I recall my instructor reading any of the Tennessee Code Annotated. Maybe he did and I forgot, but it sure wasn't much part of the class. The class was taught by a cop and was more of a class to let you know what the cops prefer you do, than what the actual law is. :(

The idea of a nickname or "pet name" to substitute for the words "gun" or "pistol" is a good one. I've successfully conditioned most of my family to it, except for the extended family that occasionally still refers to it as "gun" or "that thing" (if I knew I wasn't going to get slapped for it, I might respond "which thing?":p).

It is also pretty beneficial to have the little ones let you know of other armed LACs in code (again, by use of a different pet name; I'm liking the "pop-dart" idea). You know, just so you can be aware in case the armed LAC is not actually carrying in a holster... or a LAC.

To the OP: Kudos on bringing your wife, son, and the little one to help you on your heist. I see you were able to steal enough paperwork, pen ink, and teller's time to complete your nefarious bank-finding operation. Well done.

I like the alternate name idea! Thanks!

papa bear

i have carried to banks in NC for years now. a year or two back. i was in line of a bank of a customer of mine.
a little old lady whispered to me , why did i have a gun? so i answered in full volume, first off i carry to protect myself, and secondly i carry open so no one is tempted

i was a member of a credit union. i carried there for 6 months or more till some hopolophobe said something about it. even though the president of the company could not come up with a legitimate argument they stayed with their policy. i do not use that bank any more