• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New NC resident

Avtech

Hi all,

I just moved to Wilmington and am going to take NC CCP class in couple of weeks. My question is, I had CCP in SC and still currently have an Arizona CCP. I was told by local gun owner that I had to have NC CCP to carry in NC even with my Arizona license? Is this true, just because I am now NC resident they don't recognize my Arizona license which has reciprocity with NC?

Thanks
Avtech

dmatting

Hi all,

I just moved to Wilmington and am going to take NC CCP class in couple of weeks. My question is, I had CCP in SC and still currently have an Arizona CCP. I was told by local gun owner that I had to have NC CCP to carry in NC even with my Arizona license? Is this true, just because I am now NC resident they don't recognize my Arizona license which has reciprocity with NC?

Thanks
Avtech

I just looked through the CHP statutes and the only thing I could find about out-of-state concealed carry permits is that NC will recognize them if they are VALID. I guess the onus is on you to determine whether the permit you have is still valid now that you have moved to a different state.

Here is a link to Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the NCGS, which deals with the CHP:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

As for the validity of your out-of-state permit, you will have to look up the laws in Arizona.

solus

Hi all,

Thanks
Avtech

first welcome to the Tarheel state...
now let's see, one thought crosses my mind, since you are on a Open Carry forum asking a question about your conceal carry rights causes me a bit of confusion...however to be neighbourly, i should point out the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP and in some cases, an OC'r can carry more places than the CC'r, so why would you wish to spend the money for the CHP training and then provide the sheriff further compensation for a privilege?

however, to clarify your initial query...if you could quantify a couple of items...
have you gotten your NC DL ? did you use your AZ DL to obtain it and did NC DMV punch it? have you registered your vehicle in NC ~ receiving NC licence plates?

if you have gotten your NC DL using your AZ DL and registered your vehicle you are now an official Tarheel resident which renders your AZ CWP invalid as it is a 'AZ state resident' issued document. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

if you did not get your NC DL or register your vehicle, then continue using your AZ DL & CHP. Understand if you are working within the state, NC Statutes (20-series) state you are required, within 30 days, to get a NC DL.

i shan't provide the normal oc' links since i do not believe you wish to OC in the state except on occasion.

again welcome

ipse

WalkingWolf

Welcome to the state, and OCDO! My advice is when in doubt keep it out(OC). You will find it refreshing to free yourself of those government bonds, and exercise liberty.

Avtech

All

first welcome to the Tarheel state...
now let's see, one thought crosses my mind, since you are on a Open Carry forum asking a question about your conceal carry rights causes me a bit of confusion...however to be neighbourly, i should point out the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP and in some cases, an OC'r can carry more places than the CC'r, so why would you wish to spend the money for the CHP training and then provide the sheriff further compensation for a privilege?

however, to clarify your initial query...if you could quantify a couple of items...
have you gotten your NC DL ? did you use your AZ DL to obtain it and did NC DMV punch it? have you registered your vehicle in NC ~ receiving NC licence plates?

if you have gotten your NC DL using your AZ DL and registered your vehicle you are now an official Tarheel resident which renders your AZ CWP invalid as it is a 'AZ state resident' issued document. http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

if you did not get your NC DL or register your vehicle, then continue using your AZ DL & CHP. Understand if you are working within the state, NC Statutes (20-series) state you are required, within 30 days, to get a NC DL.

i shan't provide the normal oc' links since i do not believe you wish to OC in the state except on occasion.

again welcome

ipse

All,

Yes I realize I am on an OC forum asking about CWP, however I was reading a post on here and you all sounded very knowledgable which is why I am asking here.
I moved here from SC where I had my SC CWP. A lot of us in SC get either the AZ or UT CWP so we can carry in GA and a couple of other states that do not recognize SC CWP. I am now a legal resident of NC but still hold my AZ license which is still a valid license.
As far as open carry, I like the idea and also like CWP. I had also heard that the LEO's in New Hanover County like to hassle OC enthusiast and don't feel like dealing with that mess.

gary737

.........the Tarheel state is a model state for OC and with minor exceptions can carry everywhere a NC citizen can with their CHP............

"are you just gonna throw the grenade after you forgot to pull the pin"

Last edited:

American Patriot

Hi all,

Thanks
Avtech

Perhaps these will be of some interest to you.

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Last edited:

solus

"are you just gonna throw the grenade after you forgot to pull the pin"

ya know sug, ya gotta love it when i am quoted out of context from an entirely different thread by someone who is miff'd and ego hurt the comment was used on them...

i guess the idiom is truthful ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

gary, shall i presume your ego has now been appeased...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

All,

Yes I realize I am on an OC forum asking about CWP, however I was reading a post on here and you all sounded very knowledgable which is why I am asking here.
I moved here from SC where I had my SC CWP. A lot of us in SC get either the AZ or UT CWP so we can carry in GA and a couple of other states that do not recognize SC CWP. I am now a legal resident of NC but still hold my AZ license which is still a valid license.
As far as open carry, I like the idea and also like CWP. I had also heard that the LEO's in New Hanover County like to hassle OC enthusiast and don't feel like dealing with that mess.

my expectations have been met.

ipse

gary737

ya know sug, ya gotta love it when i am quoted out of context from an entirely different thread by someone who is miff'd and ego hurt the comment was used on them...

i guess the idiom is truthful ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

gary, shall i presume your ego has now been appeased...

ipse

I Just find it amusing that when someone on this OC forum even suggests that there might be an advantage to CC, they are jumped on by the forum "experts". But then turn around and reply to another with basically what they originally took offense of.

Your right, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Thanks!