• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention or no Retention?

nshaw65

I want to switch from CC to OC. My question is do most of you guys use a retention holster or not. If so, what level of retention do you use?

solus

welcome...

I am not one to go rolling on the ground, running or chasing after, nor jogging with my firearm so i am quite comfortable with friction holding my SD tool in place in its, LEATHER only thank you, holster on the outside of my pants on my belt. (caveat i do have a canvas shoulder rig i wear w/o the rig strapped to my belt, while driving long distances.

now, understand the purchase of the right holster which suits your SD needs takes a lifetime to satisfy.

ipse

Last edited:

b0neZ

welcome...

I am not one to go rolling on the ground, running or chasing after, nor jogging with my firearm so i am quite comfortable with friction holding my SD tool in place in its, LEATHER only thank you, holster on the outside of my pants on my belt. (caveat i do have a canvas shoulder rig i wear w/o the rig strapped to my belt, while driving long distances.

now, understand the purchase of the right holster which suits your SD needs takes a lifetime to satisfy.

ipse

I agree with solus on all points here.

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph. Just about anyone who's been carrying for a while will have a drawer/container full of holsters that 'didn't work' for them for some reason or another.

WalkingWolf

Most times the only retention on my holsters is leather lace thong, like on western holsters. My only concern is keeping the gun from falling out and the thong performs well, and comes off with a flick of the thumb, faster than thumb break. Some holsters have no retention at all, if I use a simple belt slide, they tend to be adjustable by belt tension. We have a couple fobus holsters that are friction only, and work well. If I am carrying the GP100, I am using a DH border patrol holster which has a thumb strap. Those holsters were made to be fast, and there is little friction to keep a gun in the holster.

Whatever you use you need to practice with an unloaded gun with each at a safe place. I repeat practice with only an unloaded gun. Make sure you check the gun to make sure it is unloaded each time.

Did I mention practicing holster skills only with an unloaded gun.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Carrying in a crowed without some sort of retention has always bothered me.

And like WalkingWolf the only retention on my OWB leather holster is a leather lace thong. I carry a 38s steel snubby in that holster. And it is my favorite. I just bought a S&W – M&P shield. I carry it in a Blackhawk serpa. The reason for this is in the summer the gun can end-up laying against my skin. Steel against the skin is not good. The shield is stainless steel and polymer.

What I don't like is even though the shield carries four more rounds it also weighs 3½ oz. more. I can feel that extra weight even though the footprint of both are about the same. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

My M&P compact weighs 9¼ oz. more than my snubby. It's like carrying an anchor. I only carry it when I think it's necessary. More rounds is more weight. The way I look at it, is if I can't deal with the situation with five rounds then three to eights rounds more means I shouldn't have been at that place at that time anyway.

There is always a compromise.

The Truth

welcome...

I am not one to go rolling on the ground, running or chasing after, nor jogging with my firearm so i am quite comfortable with friction holding my SD tool in place in its, LEATHER only thank you, holster on the outside of my pants on my belt.
ipse

+1

solus

And like WalkingWolf the only retention on my OWB leather holster is a leather lace thong. I carry a 38s steel snubby in that holster. And it is my favorite. I just bought a S&W – M&P shield. I carry it in a Blackhawk serpa. The reason for this is in the summer the gun can end-up laying against my skin. Steel against the skin is not good. The shield is stainless steel and polymer.

What I don't like is even though the shield carries four more rounds it also weighs 3½ oz. more. I can feel that extra weight even though the footprint of both are about the same. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

My M&P compact weighs 9¼ oz. more than my snubby. It's like carrying an anchor. I only carry it when I think it's necessary. More rounds is more weight. The way I look at it, is if I can't deal with the situation with five rounds then three to eights rounds more means I shouldn't have been at that place at that time anyway.

5x7 photo.jpg

However, the pistol is unusually lightweight, weighing only 744 g (1.6 lb) with a loaded 20-round magazine. Polymer materials are used extensively in the pistol's design, and even the steel slide is encased in a polymer shell.

fantastic firearm!! or so i have read about!! :banana:

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

welcome...

ipse

That's all nice but some times crap happens I seen to many handguns come out of friction holsters and hit the ground.

I a firm believer in having some type of retention besides friction..

solus

That's all nice but some times crap happens I seen to many handguns come out of friction holsters and hit the ground.

I a firm believer in having some type of retention besides friction..

remember, as stated numerous times, i am one who is non-confrontational so will be pushing myself and loved ones to cover as i retreat to be a good witness!!

further, your retention holster(s), unless appropriately and continuously practiced properly as advocated earlier in both under stress and standing there situations to ensure muscle memory is correct...has a tendency to put the finger releasing the retention, of say the blackhawk holster, right in and on and around the pesky trigger just as someone is tugging and pulling their firearm out to defend themselves.

firearms, some profess to be firm believers of fairy tales from long long ago...thank goodness, in this case, you seem open minded enough to rationally discuss the retention/friction subject and you recognize it is what one is comfortable with and has practiced significantly enough for their use. :cool:

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
View attachment 12774

However, the pistol is unusually lightweight, weighing only 744 g (1.6 lb) with a loaded 20-round magazine. Polymer materials are used extensively in the pistol's design, and even the steel slide is encased in a polymer shell.

fantastic firearm!! or so i have read about!! :banana:

ipse
“1.6 lb with a loaded 20-round magazine....” 20 rounds of 9mm weighs 9 oz. That would mean the pistol unloaded would weigh a tad over 1 lb. What are you carrying? My M&P shield unloaded weighs 1 lb. 6 oz. And lets not forget the weight of your holster.

My loaded snubby with holster weighs 1 lb. 8¾ oz.

My loaded shield with holster weighs 1 lb. 12¼ oz.

What am I missing????

DeSchaine

I carry my companion in a Blackhawk Serpa Sportster. Before that I used my tac rig, similar to the Nylon Omega seen here. Every so often, I'll still carry it in the old way. Usually for OC get togethers. Prefer the Serpa though.

Firearms Iinstuctor

remember, as stated numerous times, i am one who is non-confrontational so will be pushing myself and loved ones to cover as I retreat.

ipse

I believe it takes movement to do this as long as it does not take place rapidly or one needs to dive for cover you well be just fine.

Carry your gun in what ever you want, don't know what fairly tales have to do with it.

But I have seen more than one had gun hit the ground after coming out if its holster. That's why I prefer some type of positive retention besides friction.

But than I lead a very active life style.

Last edited:

solus

“1.6 lb with a loaded 20-round magazine....” 20 rounds of 9mm weighs 9 oz. That would mean the pistol unloaded would weigh a tad over 1 lb. What are you carrying? My M&P shield unloaded weighs 1 lb. 6 oz. And lets not forget the weight of your holster.

My loaded snubby with holster weighs 1 lb. 8¾ oz.

My loaded shield with holster weighs 1 lb. 12¼ oz.

What am I missing????

humm my full sized firearm firearm w/20 rounds each w/muzzle velocity 2.3k (give or take a smidgen)

tis not a midget eight round shield, nor a stubby with maybe five or six rounds...

quote: There is always a compromise. unquote

in my case, my firearm weighs less and has many more bangs then both of yours...that is my compromise!

that is what you are missing!!!!!

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
humm my full sized firearm firearm w/20 rounds each w/muzzle velocity 2.3k (give or take a smidgen)

tis not a midget eight round shield, nor a stubby with maybe five or six rounds...

quote: There is always a compromise. unquote

in my case, my firearm weighs less and has many more bangs then both of yours...that is my compromise!

that is what you are missing!!!!!

ipse
You are comparing apples with oranges. What you described as your carry gun must be a “FN Five-seven.” The guns the adverage person carrys usually cost no more than $500. A “FN Five-seven” costs $1,200. + and is the size of a 1911. The length of the bullet is .43” longer that a 9mm. This causes the grip to be pretty stout, making it, for many, difficult to hold and shoot.

I have a couple of friends that own a “FN Five-seven” and they have big hands and they don't carry it because of the guns size. Unlike my shield or snubby you ain't sticking a “FN Five-seven” in your pocket.

I'm just say'n.

Last edited:

solus

You are comparing apples with oranges. What you described as your carry gun must be a “FN Five-seven.” The guns the adverage person carrys usually cost no more than $500. A “FN Five-seven” costs $1,200. + and is the size of a 1911. The length of the bullet is .43” longer that a 9mm. This causes the grip to be pretty stout, making it, for many, difficult to hold and shoot.

I have a couple of friends that own a “FN Five-seven” and they have big hands and they don't carry it because of the guns size. Unlike my shield or snubby you ain't sticking a “FN Five-seven” in your pocket.

I'm just say'n.

you state i am comparing fruits and veggies...sorry but filing your diversionary post under failed ~ especially since you didn't initially mention: what an average citizen spends on their 'carry'; or mention firearm cost, or physical dimensions of the firearm; or the citizen's inability to appropriately grip their Personal Defence firearm due to hand size or physical impairment, nor do i see anywhere in your initial posting about sticking your firearm in your pocket....yepper you do flat out state: quote ...on my OWB leather holster...unquote; and oh wait...yepper quote...in my blackhawk serpa unquote.

course the contradiction is pleasant..."...grip is stout, making it, for many, difficult to hold and shoot" and then "i have friends with big hands and they don't carry it because of the guns size."

ad nauseam...if your friends wish to sell their worthless, and unused 5.7 hand guns send me a PM and i offer top dollar for their USED firearms. i'll even drive up and pick them up.

ipse

Last edited: