• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal carry course differences

boomer92266

i am going to be taking my conceal carry course soon and have found out that there is a big difference from one instructor to another. in scottsville where i bought my gun a guy will do the course for $35 if you bought your gun there. in tompkinsville it $85 and my wife told me that she saw on the computer that in edmonton its $75. my wife said she saw that in edmonton the guy wanted a person to bring their own gun, 50+rds of ammo and a cleaning kit. i called t-ville and that guy said he had a gun i could use as well as ammo and all i needed was 20rds and no cleaning kit. a friend of mine took the t-ville course and said the guy was nice and let him use his gun and that he had, he charged $85 because that included lunch. i haven't called scottsville yet but was told the day i got my gun that the shop had a deal with a guy that he will do it for $35 when you get the gun there. i would like to know by those on here, how much ammo do i need? and do i need a cleaning kit and such?, also i bought a 605 taurus 357 mag and it shoots like a dream. thanks for any help

PT111

I can't tell you about KY instructor differences but I can tell you about SC instructors and I imagine that they are very similar. The goal of some instructors is to give you the minimum trainging to get your permit and get you out of there. Others are interested in giving you a good trainging course with extras and try to make you a safe carrier. Now some feel that they don't need any training and just want to go through the motions so they can get their permit. I found that in just about every case if the student actually paid attention and listened to the instructor they could learn some things they didn't know.

As for the price differences the one giving a break for buying a gun is including it in the price of the gun and nothing wrong with that. The ones that require extra ammo and a cleaning kit are probably going to provide a good class and extras beyond the minimum requirements. The second time I took the class in SC I found that out and was very pleased with the course. The one that furnishes the gun and ammo may or may not do a good job but I would prefer to use my own gun and ammo. Furnishing ammo is definitely cutting into his profit.

Ask around the local area for references as to what the instructor includes in the class. In one class I took the instructor required the minimum and when I left I had to get all the other stuff such as fingerprints and picture on my own and wound up not applying for a while. In the second class I walked out with an envelope already addressed that all I had to do was put a check in it and stamps on it. The course was much longer, required 150 rounds instead of the minimum 50 and was a much better course.

PT111

gutshot, all I can say is WOW or WTF, one or the other. If that it the way it is there isn't much need for an instructor at all is there. Watch a few videos on line and go to a range to fire 20 rounds. Not much training at all in my opinion especially if he isn't allowed to elaborate on questions, explain them or be sure that the student understands what you are supposed to be teaching. Sound like some screwed up gubmint bureaucrat writing lesson plans for a no child left behind 2nd grader.

As I said the first instructor I had showed the videos, went over the laws, gave the test and carried us out to the range to fire the 50 rounds. There were a couple of ladies that could not fire a gun without closing their eys and turning their head. The two combined hit the target 3 out of the 100 times and they did not pass.

The second instructor not only had the videos but also covered real world situations as well as the laws, gave instructions on self defense situations and lots of other stuff. When we went to the range we each fired at least 50 rounds before even starting the target test portion of the course. Lots of extra stuff and training. Ironically the first instructor was the training instructor for the local police department and the second was a private instructor that taught security training for a nuclear power plant among other things.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It isn't WTF it is sensible. Don't forget that in ky we can openly carry pretty much anywhere with no ignorant license unlike u folks in sc. I don't think we should need a license to cc either BC the constitution doesn't say we need a license to carry any way we want. All ky wants is for us to know the laws and that we know how to operate a firearm not bad but unecessary. I say n the next year or two ky will do away with the licensing requirement all together, and if u think that is a bad thing ur not a very big fan of 2a are ya? I find it absurd that states like sc make u get a license to carry a firearm in public and then tell u the only way u can do it is to conceal it, like they r trying to denormalize guns it is a joke. I love ky and our pretty much non existent gun laws

flb_78

So the total cost of the CCDW is $60 to the state plus whatever the Instructor charges?

Also, does the Instructor have to be in the country one resides in, or could one go to a different county?

I'd love to find an Instructor who will do the class for $35

Last edited: