• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of a Revolver

TheDon

I posted this in the general discussion and was told it may suit me better to post it here (Michigan Board I hope! I'm still a rookie here) in my own states board.

I got to thinking today and was wondering how one would properly open carry a revolver. Most of my
handguns are revolvers and I was thinking about carrying one. The reason I ask is I know to be legal with an
semi-auto you can not have a round in the chamber. Is this just a safety issue or is it to slow your ability to present your firearm and fire? Is this just as simple as putting a empty chamber under the hammer? I thought this could be one of them sticky issues and figured I should ask just to be safe. If this question was addressed before I
am sorry I must have missed it when looking.

Don

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
First. welcome. I have to ask, though, under what law is it illegal to carry a round in the chamber... who told you this?

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I was told this by a Michigan State Trooper.

Well, there is no law that states you must carry with an empty chamber. I don't know why a trooper would say such a thing; they usually don't cause ocers any grief... but I did say "usually". If you start reading the "stickies", some things you will see time after time is the phrase " don't talk to the police" and "don't ask a cop if something is illegal... they usually are wrong".

Last edited:

TheDon

Ok guys thanks! I got told this when a trooper talked to me when I was carrying. Maybe he was trying to discourage me from carrying.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

The Michigan State Trooper does not know the law.

In Michigan, while carrying a firearm, there are really no regulations on ammo. Loaded, unloaded, ball, hollow point or mag capacity.

Yes there are a few exceptions as there is a federal law against armor piercing hand gun ammo and also state DNR limits on ammo capacity while hunting water foul and deer etc.

If your revolver is equipped with a "transfer bar" I would carry it with a full cylinder and if not then carry with an empty hole under the hammer for safety reasons. But there's not "law" governing that in Michigan.

P.S. LEO's are generally the WORST place to seek true answers to legal questions.

Last edited:

hermannr

I carry a 6" Colt DA fairly frequently. I carry it in a full coverage hunting holster. My Colt was manufactured in 1926 so it has absolutely no safeties so I usually leave the one under the hammer empty, the rest loaded.

If I carry any of my semi-autos, they are locked and loaded. Not much good otherwise.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I carry a 6" Colt DA fairly frequently. I carry it in a full coverage hunting holster. My Colt was manufactured in 1926 so it has absolutely no safeties so I usually leave the one under the hammer empty, the rest loaded.

If I carry any of my semi-autos, they are locked and loaded. Not much good otherwise.

But there is no law saying you MUST carry a wheel-gun (or semi-auto) this way....

kubel

P.S. LEO's are generally the WORST place to seek true answers to legal questions.

True and scary, seeing as they are the ones society tasks with maintaining the rule of law. It seems whatever they think, goes. Even if they are completely wrong.

Ugh, I'm becoming more minarchist with age.

knifemaker

Everyone is correct above. When I carry my 1911 it is with a round in the chamber, cocked, and slide safety on (condition 1).

My usual carry pistol is a .44 mag. Super Blackhawk. We have more bears than bad guys. It is carried with all 6 rounds in the cylinder. The holster is a Tom Threepersons style with an adjustable welt. The adjustable welt allows you to have a very tight fit making the strap redundant.

This is similar to mine:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlMBdF_S57jOKzLorVRRK7IACNk-uClWvyO5Emyln4BcwhOVIc2A

My holster was custom made by Kenny Rowe:

http://www.rowesleather.com/

I hope this helps.

TheDon

OP, do you have a CPL?

And Welcome to OCDO BTW. :D

Stainless1911 thanks for the welcome! As for your question no I do not have a CPL. One of the main reasons I ever open carry is I don't have a CPL. But I do enjoy educating people that don't know about it. I give them a pamphlet with some good OC websites and tell them to check it out. Police are normally not the problem around here its normally young girls or old ladies that get freaked out. As for why I joined this site. I am in school for Law Enforcement and want to know as much as I can about OC so I can be well educated when in the field. The last think I want to do is trample peoples rights. That's not only wrong but it gives LEOs a bad name. Also I really don't want to go to jail because some idiot yelled he's got a gun and I don't know the law on the subject.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I know to be legal with an
semi-auto you can not have a round in the chamber.

First. welcome. I have to ask, though, under what law is it illegal to carry a round in the chamber... who told you this?

O_O

Dude.....no....

You wil learn real quick here that law enforcement is the absolute WORST source of advice for law

Gunslinger

You can carry with a round under the hammer in any revolver except an old stype 3 screw Ruger or Colt SAA. No double action can hit the firing pin on the primer without pulling the trigger. The hammer is cammed away. Transfer bars are safest, of course, but don't worry about your Colt DA.

stainless1911

Banned
Not really, they dont seem to appreciate it, they take it like you're some internet ninja telling them how to do thier job. Some take it like a challenge, and try to raise the stakes on you, cops are often testosterone driven competitors, and turn it into some richard measuring contest that they have to "win".

Know the laws, follow them, and save the arguing for the lawyers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

WalkingWolf

But there is no law saying you MUST carry a wheel-gun (or semi-auto) this way....

He is carrying it that way for safety reasons. Years ago black powder revolvers had no safety transfer bars. This included most cartridge black powder framed revolvers. When the switch to cartridge originally occurred the cartridges were rim fire so there was no other option than a empty chamber under the hammer.

Now with center-fire cartridges it was a well accepted practice with the SAA to rest the firing pin(hammer) in between the case heads on center-fire cartridges. The drawback is the cylinder stop leaves a wear mark on the cylinder where it rests. If he does not mind the wear mark he can safely carry a full cylinder resting the hammer between case heads. A gunsmith can also machine a extra stop for this type of carry, the revolver after loaded is always put in this location until brought into use.