• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Polling places? prohibited locations?

Nevada carrier

It appears that many people I interact with on a daily basis are of the opinion that polling places are specifically prohibited locations. I searched the NRS again and found no mention of "polling places" specifically mentioned, has anyone else? I realize that often a polling place will be placed within a prohibited location, but often the early voting locations are setup on private property that is open to the public. Does anyone know of any statute that would prohibit firearms in a poling place specifically?

Then I got to thinking;

What if you went to vote at an early voting location setup in a shopping mall? IIRC, There used to be early voting set up in the Boulevard Mall on Maryland pkwy, a private business known to be hostile to open carry. Lets say you are on your way to the voting booth when an agent of the owner (mall cop) demands that you leave. Now it's not just your second amendment rights their violating, they're interfering with your right to vote as well. I know it's late in the political season, the playoffs are underway, but we really should find out if people are being hassled while voting.

Two years ago I went to vote at the early voting location at Rainbow and 215, when I left the "neutral zone" after casting my ballot, some democrat exit polar wanted to know how I voted, I showed her my strong side and said "how the **** do you think I voted." The funny part was she was so stupid, she looked down at her clip board, with a confused look as if she were searching for the appropriate canned response.

Last edited:

jdholmes

Given that republicans aren't the only ones who carry, I can understand her confusion....also could be construed as brandishing from my understanding.

In answer to the question, several people have posted that they have carried at the early voting locations with no issues.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

There is no statute against firearms in a polling place.

I would think that if a polling place was set up on private property, the owner or lessee of the property has given an easement to that polling location for public access. Therefore as long as you were going directly to, and directly from that polling place they would have nothing to say about it.

Now having said that, you know that some won't care if they are on solid legal ground or not, they will still hassle you and maybe call the cops.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... Lets say you are on your way to the voting booth when an agent of the owner (mall cop) demands that you leave. Now it's not just your second amendment rights their violating, they're interfering with your right to vote as well. ...

They are NOT violating the second amendment.
They may not be respecting it, but that is their choice; shop accordingly.

However, when they give easement to a polling place, they cannot refuse to allow you entrance. In this case, they would be violating the law for not allowing you access to the polling place, and they cannot tell you that you have to leave your gun behind to do it.

Many have open carried to the polls.

If you are questioned about your firearm, don't dignify them by discussing the firearm. Simply ask: "Are you refusing to allow me to vote?" and continue asking that while you stay in line to do so.

They cannot tell you "no guns" while voting anymore than they can tell you "no purple shoes" while voting. If they care that much, they should not have become a polling place.

CowboyKen

What about polling places that are located on school grounds, such as GVHS?

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:
(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IANAL! The above seems unequivocal to me. Doesn't say anything about what the "premises" are being used for at the moment.

Ken

brettf22raptor

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:
(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IANAL! The above seems unequivocal to me. Doesn't say anything about what the "premises" are being used for at the moment.

Ken

I had a feeling that would be the case. Just figured I'd ask.

Polite Posture

Two years ago I went to vote at the early voting location at Rainbow and 215, when I left the "neutral zone" after casting my ballot, some democrat exit polar wanted to know how I voted, I showed her my strong side and said "how the **** do you think I voted." The funny part was she was so stupid, she looked down at her clip board, with a confused look as if she were searching for the appropriate canned response.

:banghead::cuss:

Actions like these are what makes people think guys like me, are like guys who acted the way you acted in this situation.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107907-Have-you-voted-yet

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-did-you-carry-today-and-how-did-it-go/page57 (Post #1424)

-Devil Doc

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What about polling places that are located on school grounds, such as GVHS?

NOW, you have an issue.

To be armed while voting in this case, you would have to use an early voting location or vote by absentee ballot. No reason is required in NV for requesting and using an absentee ballot. Well, actually, you have to respond with a "reason." I checked "Other," and no further explanation is required.

gunrunner1911

They changed our polling location this year to of a places the Washoe County Shooting Facility. I had to think for a minute if voting there was going to require my gun.
Of course open carrying into the facility was not an issue and the geographic location is way out of the way and not very busy. I actually stuck around to converse with a poll worker after voting about her adoption of a wild burro, no one cared it's very typical of my "neighbors" out here cordial and friendly but not wanting to get into the others business. One gentleman asked what I was carrying and the only comment was he "wasn't familiar with that model" Colt Delta Elite 10mm.