• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody gone western ? Holster Recommendations ?

JDPrice

I was considering carrying the 4 5/8 Vaquero, but I don't necessarily want to strap on the entire gun belt. Just wondering if anyone was carrying a SA six and could recommend a holster ?

WalkingWolf

I was considering carrying the 4 5/8 Vaquero, but I don't necessarily want to strap on the entire gun belt. Just wondering if anyone was carrying a SA six and could recommend a holster ?

I carry in a Tom Threepersons holster that rides high with a forward cant, and uses a traditional retention strap. My cross draw is a leather cross draw that originally did have any retention straps, I added a leather lace for the hammer western style. Bianchi makes a high ride for SA revolvers but the price is not for the faint of heart. If price is a concern check your local tack shop, or shoe repair to see if they will make you a holster. Or you can get the leather and do it yourself.

gprod55

Holsters

Tandy Leather has everything you need for do it yourselfers. Theres one in Tulsa and OKC. If you have the time to do it yourself then go for it. If not they can let you know who can do it for you.

thegomezclan

I was just thinking about this today but for my semi-auto pistol. I'm not allowed to carry at work and I like to carry around the house so was think of a rig that I can just but on without have to change my pants or thread holster through my belt. Sorry to hi jack thread.

WalkingWolf

I was just thinking about this today but for my semi-auto pistol. I'm not allowed to carry at work and I like to carry around the house so was think of a rig that I can just but on without have to change my pants or thread holster through my belt. Sorry to hi jack thread.

Have you thought about a paddle holster?

gprod55

A second belt (can be western style) with the holster previously applied. One that can be removed and replaced without having to thread it. When in my coveralls that is what I use. Make sure the belt is big enough to go around the outside of a heavy coat, something that can be used in the winter months. I also have my extra magazines attached to the belt so everything is there when needed.

JDPrice

I was actually thinking of threading it on my normal belt but afraid it would ride too high, thanks for all the input...

To think earlier I was complaining that the XD was too fat...and now I want to wear the Vaquero...LOL

JDPrice

I had commented (frowned upon) about an individual wearing two pearl handles in a very elaborate rig, the first week of our open carry, I convicted myself of hypocrisy concerning personal rights, stereotyping, and proper carry etiquette... I guess to some extent I had been infected by the left and deemed it inappropriate since the media was screaming about the Wild West. Today however I'm thinking the "smoke wagon" just seems like the right gun to wear, but I just can't seem to make myself put on that low riding "gun belt" with all the decorations on it. I'm going to have to ease into it one step at a time. I'm going by Tandy tomorrow and see what they have and might cruise through the stockyards maybe I can find a simple holster there..

Thanks again for the input

colt.45

Going western...

Yes, i have went "all out" quick draw rig with my 1951 JB sauer and Sohn .44 cal. I use a John Wayne style rig that i bought online. very nice..not real fancy . I love using it while i ride my horse through town (Noble) have had a few funny looks and some great comments... but 90% is all positive.

Aknazer

You should look into a SERPA holster and pick up a quick disconnect for it. That would allow you to leave the belt/paddle in place while still being able to easily remove the gun and holster when required. Thats what I do and it's so much easier than before when I had to go somewhere that my gun wasnt allowed. Added bonus is that the gun can remain in the holster when removing the holster so there's even less of a chance oc an ND.

Pulp

I posted this on the facebook page, but just in case I'll post it here also. Tandy sells a kit, Gunfighter or Gunslinger, can't recall the actual name. Anyway, it's pre cut and pre drilled. All you do is fold it and lace it. The thing is, you can adjust the belt loop for a higher or lower carry, but you will have to drill some holes if you want to adjust it.

By wetting the leather you can form fit it to your Ruger. Wrap your Ruger in Saran wrap, wet the leather and keep working and squeezing the leather until you get the shape you want. Wet the belt loop so you can obtain a very tight crease at the top. You can use clothespins to hold the holster edges together until it dries, or you can lace it wet.

I bought this kit back in October or so, more for a pattern than the actual holster. Using it for a basic pattern, I've made holsters for my '51 Navy, '60 Army and both '47 Walkers. None are artistic by any means, but they work for what I wanted. My goal was to make something that looked like what a cowboy would have made while sitting around the campfire or bunkhouse at night.

From what I learned with these, I've managed to build three that will hold a scoped S&W .22A, one for me, one for my son, and one for my son-in-law.

The actual making of a holster isn't all that hard. To make a pretty one though, well, that's above my artistic abilities.

Aknazer

Aknazer, I use a safariland ALS holster now and was looking into buying something similar for it.

I don't know what the screw setup is like on the safariland holsters, but if you could find the blackhawk quick disconnect system in a store you could check to see if it would fit on your holster.