• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I can't find a freakin holster.

Tackett

I wore my uncle mikes around all day today, and I think im starting to get used to it.

I ordered the high ride belt loop accessory, so maybe that will fix the issues.

Currently my biggest complaints with the pro3 are:
Uncomfortable
Bulky
Have to have two hands to draw. (Though I guess that's the pitfalls of a triple retention.)

Tackett

Is it stupid and overkill for me to think I HAVE to use a retention holster?

I feel safer with one and I find myself thinking less about my weapon when I have one. I've always thought that there is a reason that LEOs are required to have retention holsters.

Some of the simple thumb break leather holsters are nice. But I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable wearing one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is it stupid and overkill for me to think I HAVE to use a retention holster?

I feel safer with one and I find myself thinking less about my weapon when I have one. I've always thought that there is a reason that LEOs are required to have retention holsters.

Some of the simple thumb break leather holsters are nice. But I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable wearing one.
Thumb break holsters are retention holsters.

skeith5

The holster I settled on for my m&p is a safariland als. Easy on and off, quick draw one once you know how, good retention. Not sure if they make one for your pistol though.

JustaShooter

I wore my uncle mikes around all day today, and I think im starting to get used to it.

I ordered the high ride belt loop accessory, so maybe that will fix the issues.

Currently my biggest complaints with the pro3 are:
Uncomfortable
Bulky
Have to have two hands to draw. (Though I guess that's the pitfalls of a triple retention.)

There is no way I'd feel comfortable with a holster that requires two hands to draw. I can think of far too many scenarios where one hand would be unable to function in that capacity - that's one of the reasons why we (most of us anyway) carry in Condition 1 or equivalent, right?

Tackett

There is no way I'd feel comfortable with a holster that requires two hands to draw. I can think of far too many scenarios where one hand would be unable to function in that capacity - that's one of the reasons why we (most of us anyway) carry in Condition 1 or equivalent, right?

I do not feel comfortable with my sidearm in the 1 position. For a number of reasons.

1: in the off chance that someone does get my weapon, I'll know there is nothing in the chamber.
2: its trigger safety only.
3: if, god forbid, someone who doesn't need to have my weapon gets hold of it. All it would take is one simple accidental trigger pull.
4: for consistency sake, I had to make a choice and stick with it. I chose to keep it chamber empty. I've done it for so long that changing now would be unsafe.

I'm really hoping that the high ride conversion will make it possible to draw with one hand.

Last edited:

cirrusly

If you're open to IWB holsters, Galco King Tuck and crossbreed super tuck deluxe and the most comfortable by many popular opinions. Not the best for OC though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you're open to IWB holsters, Galco King Tuck and crossbreed super tuck deluxe and the most comfortable by many popular opinions. Not the best for OC though.
Why is that?

Personally I prefer OWB holsters, but I see no problem with IWB style for OC.

cirrusly

Why is that?

Personally I prefer OWB holsters, but I see no problem with IWB style for OC.

Depending on how you wear the holster and your gun's grip less may be exposed than an OWB holster. Thus, if you're legally obliged to keep the firearm visible (due to no permit, etc) some IWB holsters may be less than ideal.

I'm not implying OC with an IWB isn't legal. Just need to make sure you get an IWB that exposes at least some of the weapon.

cirrusly

Depending on how you wear the holster and your gun's grip less may be exposed than an OWB holster. Thus, if you're legally obliged to keep the firearm visible (due to no permit, etc) some IWB holsters may be less than ideal.

I'm not implying OC with an IWB isn't legal. Just need to make sure you get an IWB that exposes at least some of the weapon.

Or if the OP has that pesky piece of paper and it's recognized in every state he/she plans to carry, moot point.

Superlite27

Another moot point:

If an officer wants to argue that IWB is concealed........

....ask him how he knows you have an IWB holster.

I'll bet you money to marbles that he'll say something to the effect of, "I can see it.".

???? ......Well....If you can see it, how the hell can you call it "concealed"?

cirrusly

Another moot point:

I'll bet you money to marbles that he'll say something to the effect of, "I can see it.".

+1. There was a Virginia post in which a magistrate asked an officer who arrested a law-abiding OCer that same question. Charges immediately dropped.

cirrusly

Another moot point:

I carry OWB to avoid the confrontation altogether though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Indeed - that is my point.

If the gun is readily identifiable as a gun by common observation it is entirely legal as OC and w/o a permit.

I had a funny (to me) incident once where I was carrying a S&W mod. 60 w/a Barami hip grip Mexican style in my front waistband. An officer saw it and wanted to know if I had a permit for that. Short answer/story as I was leaving was, "Why - you obviously can see it and know what it is." :)

From the Code of Virginia:

§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

"If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation........."

So hidden from "common observation = CC/concealed; therefore, available to "common observation" is not concealed = open carry.

Remember, what the code/statute does not say is just as important as what it does say.

cirrusly

Didn't read the entire post yet- but if you live in a state where you can freely carry to the point you "been thru so many holsters it's crazy" consider yourself blessed.

tomrkba

Google for "compiled list of holster manufacturers"

CALL:

Milt Sparks
Blade Tech (specifically lists Steyr for their Nano)
Comp-Tac

Last edited:

cirrusly

Thought I'd revisit this post- as I recently have been evaluating different holster types myself.

For IWB: I've carried Galco King Tux. Pretty equivalent to Crossbreed Supertuck. Those are both commonly dubbed as the most comfortable mainstream IWB. Many instructors will recommend them. The only gripe I have about when I have to buy pants that are 2" bigger in the waist to accommodate a Glock G26/G19

For OWB: bought a custom hard-shell holster molded to fit my Glock G26. Now- that's a lot more comfortable in the waist because it's not consuming your pants, and slightly faster draw, but it's more conspicuous than IWB. Although this is a forum for open carry so I guess conspicuous is a moot point here. I wish I could remember the company that made it. I bought it at a gun show a year ago.

Wallet / pocket holsters: if you're looking for concealed and very comfortable, and stylish, check out this site: www.pockholsters.com With these holsters you're limited to a sub-compact firearm that fits in your pocket, but from the YouTube videos and reviews I read of these the holsters are (most importantly) safe, and appear pretty comfortable. I ordered one for myself and plan on carrying it when I prefer to conceal instead of my usual OC. Gives you the benefit of the conceal-ability without sacrificing the waistline of your pants. If I like this holster I plan on having my front pockets tailored to be a bit deeper on my jeans and expand the pockets on a few of my suit coats.

Belly bands: this type I don't have. Again, a bit out of the scope of this forum because belly band holsters are for deep concealment. However one of my coworkers has a belly band style holster and loves it. It offers more comfort than the IWB, can be worn in multiple positions- above the waist line around the belly, or below the waistline. And it usually has pouches for extra magazines which is always a good thing. Only negative is a potentially very slow draw.

After listening to a lot of holster advise I'm come to conclude its a very personal decision. A single gun/holster combination for one person may be excellent, while not preferred by another. If you have some friends in the 2A community with holsters made for your firearm, I'd you could borrow and carry a few different ones, that's what I'd recommend. Saves your $$ on buying a few different ones until you settle on one you most prefer.

That's my .02 or rather $2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: