• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living in VA but working in MD?

george11c

Hi all,

I just got a great new job with a company in Linthicum, MD but live in Fairfax. The commute is about an hour on a good day. I already told everyone that living in MD is out of the question for me and I don't have the luxury to say no to this opportunity since it's my first real job out of college. I just want to get some insight from some folks here who live in VA but may work in MD. I've been studying up on MD gun laws and they seem quite ridiculous. I honestly don't even know if I am allowed to keep my firearm in the trunk and unloaded while on that side of the water. Should I even risk it? What do you guys do?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hi all,

I just got a great new job with a company in Linthicum, MD but live in Fairfax. The commute is about an hour on a good day. I already told everyone that living in MD is out of the question for me and I don't have the luxury to say no to this opportunity since it's my first real job out of college. I just want to get some insight from some folks here who live in VA but may work in MD. I've been studying up on MD gun laws and they seem quite ridiculous. I honestly don't even know if I am allowed to keep my firearm in the trunk and unloaded while on that side of the water. Should I even risk it? What do you guys do?

You're not allowed to keep it in your trunk unless you"re just "Passing through"...That doesn't include stopping to go to work.
Leave it at home. Mary Land is a pretty unforgiving place.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
And, Maryland State Police have been known to stop cars with VA plates on a traffic violation pretext so they could fish for the occasional Virginian who forgot to leave his gun at home.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
And, Maryland State Police have been known to stop cars with VA plates on a traffic violation pretext so they could fish for the occasional Virginian who forgot to leave his gun at home.

Can you give me confirmed examples of this phenomenon? I live in Alexandria and travel at least once a week back into Maryland and into Baltimore, passing and being passed by many State Troopers and Baltimore City Police. I have VA plates, the big orange GSL sticker on my rear hatch, and the NRA Life Member on my rear window. I've never been stopped nor, as far as I can tell, even looked at hard... So I'm curious if the phenomenon you mentioned is real or just an urban legend.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can you give me confirmed examples of this phenomenon? I live in Alexandria and travel at least once a week back into Maryland and into Baltimore, passing and being passed by many State Troopers and Baltimore City Police. I have VA plates, the big orange GSL sticker on my rear hatch, and the NRA Life Member on my rear window. I've never been stopped nor, as far as I can tell, even looked at hard... So I'm curious if the phenomenon you mentioned is real or just an urban legend.

A few examples a few years ago. Can't remember where I saw them.

If they're still doing it, all it takes is a pretext. Speed. Improper lane change. Light burned out.

Of course, if you don't consent to a search and/or don't have a gun in the car, it doesn't matter.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Check the Maryland Shall Issue site. I only go there occassionally so do not keep current, but a few years ago Virginia drivers were getting stopped for both pretext and legitimate reasons that flowed into "You aren't carrying anything illegal, are you?" and "Would you mind if I just looked?"

Temporary custodial detention for the purpose of issuing a traffic citation ends when the cop gives you your copy. Do not bother asking if you are free to go or not - if the cop thinks not he will let you know. Be sure to use your turn signal when entering the highway, and to allow a safe distance for merging into traffic.

stay safe.

george11c

Knowing all of this now, I know to be especially cautious with my DTOM plates and bumper sticker. It's always wise to go on the cautious side. Sidearm stays at home. Now lets move on to Tasers... ;)

I keep reading flip flopping things on different forums and Google about the legality of them in the state. An individual wanting to have the ability to more effectively defend themselves could be equipped with a M26C. I myself have one and am wondering about the legality of this. My job is in Anne Arundel county which does allow them. But passing through other counties and cities on the way back to VA could be a different story. Just throwing a theoretical out there.

TFred

Hi all,

If you don't mind me asking, I'm hard-pressed to imagine Maryland has anything better than Virginia, especially job opportunities. What is your field?

TFred

swinokur

Activist Member
All the advice you have gotten is excellent. MD Statute 4-203 prohibits the transportation of handguns except in very narrow set of circumstances, ie. range trips, gun shop, organized shooting event, etc. Do not leave your firearm in your vehicle. Since you are making MD a destination, you will have no FOPA protections either. And never consent to a search of your vehicle. Loaded magazines are ok as long as thgey are not inserted into the firearm.

Long guns are not included in the transportation statute, so they can be in your vehicle, but they must be unloaded too.

MD sucks.

IANAL

george11c

If you don't mind me asking, I'm hard-pressed to imagine Maryland has anything better than Virginia, especially job opportunities. What is your field?

TFred

My field is in software development. I've interviewed many time in Virginia but have never gotten an offer. Unfortunately, being fresh out of college I don't have the luxury to pick and choose my employer so when I got the offer I jumped at it right away. I don't plan to be there forever. Just get experience and then find a position in VA. Every time I pass the Welcome to Virginia sign, I breathe a sigh of relief. It just feels different in MD knowing the laws, it just feels more oppressed. But I have to take it for now.

TFred

My field is in software development. I've interviewed many time in Virginia but have never gotten an offer. Unfortunately, being fresh out of college I don't have the luxury to pick and choose my employer so when I got the offer I jumped at it right away. I don't plan to be there forever. Just get experience and then find a position in VA. Every time I pass the Welcome to Virginia sign, I breathe a sigh of relief. It just feels different in MD knowing the laws, it just feels more oppressed. But I have to take it for now.
Check your inbox!

TFred

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Frankly, I wouldn't bother taking an interview in MD. I will do nothing to support that state economically, culturally, or in any other way.

It's a lifelong boycott of all things Mary Land.

When a business opens up shop in that state, I can only assume it's run by a bunch of frat boys and isn't a serious outfit. :lol:

TFred

Check your inbox!
Just realized you're sort of new to the forum... so you may not realize that I meant check your Private Message inbox here on OCDO! Click the "Notifications" link at the top of the page.

:)

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just realized you're sort of new to the forum... so you may not realize that I meant check your Private Message inbox here on OCDO! Click the "Notifications" link at the top of the page.

:)

TFred

He's in computers.

That would be like me telling you to check the end-shake on your cylinder. And, then come back and clarify that I wasn't talking about your engine. :p:)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I am a retired software engineer and I know there are times when you take positions where you don't wish to because that is what is available at the time you're in the market. Common in the contracting end of the business, unless you're a independent with a broad range of skills and experience.

Get your two years in the real world then start looking seriously for positions here in Virginia. And good luck to you.

Last edited:

george11c

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I am a retired software engineer and I know there are times when you take positions where you do wish to because that is what is available at the time you're in the market. Common in the contracting end of the business, unless you're a independent with a broad range of skills and experience.

Get your two years in the real world then start looking seriously for positions here in Virginia. And good luck to you.

If I don't find something else soon, this is definitely what I plan to do. I'll do my time in the People's Republic and then once I get experience, get a job here in VA. Perhaps with a little help from connections, I can land a job here in VA sooner than that. For now though, I'll take what I can get. What I will ensure, is that Maryland get not a penny of my income taxes. I will file and exemption form immediately so I don't have to pay taxes to the PRM.