• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizen Criminal Complaint Procedure

deanf

Here is a link to a petition for a citizen criminal complaint against police officers in Washington. I present it for it's instructional value, not for any comments about the merits of the case outlined in the complaint. The case is not OC related.

Link to complaint.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I was truly afraid the other day, a car with lights on top of it was outside my house and there was an LEO in it? Who do I call? And yes I am serious.

Private prosecution needs a comeback, and here is a perfect example why. The prosecutor (not surprisingly) fails in his duty, they don't bring charges against officers. This link is a recent case where a private prosecution made it to SCOTUS and the private person won!!!!!

http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?title=Robertson_v._U.S._Ex_Rel._Watson

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c....S.+ex+rel.+Watson&hl=en&as_sdt=2,48&as_vis=1

This story did make me sick though and does show the mentality and actions of many in our LEO that people try so hard to say doesn't exist. I feel the dog as property is worth more than $750 dollars, the reckless endangerment they engaged in, the waste of tax payers money, they need to be charged with felonies.

deanf

The court rules on citizen criminal complaints are referenced in at least two places in the petition. It's a long petition. If it's something you care about, you'll have to put in the effort.

sudden valley gunner

The court rules on citizen criminal complaints are referenced in at least two places in the petition. It's a long petition. If it's something you care about, you'll have to put in the effort.

Well I have to read through the whole document about a horrible incident you don't want us talking about to get your points? Why can't you just copy the section applicable or page it's on?

skiingislife725

Dean, as you said in your PM, I was not actually commenting on the topic you wanted to focus on. Was just too steamed about a bunch of civil servants high-fiving and exclaiming on audio tape, "Nice!" after their buddy practices with his cool AR on a non-aggressive dog 20 yards away cowered in some blackberry bushes.

That said, as far as the procedures are concerned, are you referring to pages 3 & 4 of the document? I read just about the entire thing (and the word of the day for me is: scalping) and I don't recall much of anything that went into any detail on the citizen criminal complaint procedures.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Since the original link is just the complaint not showing you how to complain here is a link to rules for it.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/search/index.cfm?fa=search.start_search

You can attempt this on your own. But this story the victims have a private attorney doing it. I am guessing they are doing it on contingency or by donation, from the name of the firm.

I am searching to see if there is a downloadable complaint form, but it looks like your first step is a letter written to a judge.

From number 4. on the courts site.

SCLCrRLJ 2.1(c)
CITIZEN COMPLAINTS

Any person filing a criminal citizen complaint pursuant to CrRLJ 2.1(c)
must provide a sworn written statement of the probable cause supporting the
crimes alleged. The judge will review the alleged crimes and the probable
cause statement to determine whether the request should be granted or denied.
At the discretion of the judge, a hearing may be set to hear additional
evidence or to allow the named defendant or the prosecuting attorney an
opportunity to present evidence in opposition to the filing of the complaint.
If the judge grants or denies the filing of the complaint on the basis of the
sworn affidavit without hearing, the judge shall state in writing the reasons
for granting or denying the filing of the complaint.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Dean, as you said in your PM, I was not actually commenting on the topic you wanted to focus on. Was just too steamed about a bunch of civil servants high-fiving and exclaiming on audio tape, "Nice!" after their buddy practices with his cool AR on a non-aggressive dog 20 yards away cowered in some blackberry bushes.

That said, as far as the procedures are concerned, are you referring to pages 3 & 4 of the document? I read just about the entire thing (and the word of the day for me is: scalping) and I don't recall much of anything that went into any detail on the citizen criminal complaint procedures.

I think this is what he is referring to...I did a quick search on it, his link doesn't educate you on how to do it, it just shows that it can be done. The link I found for our state courts tells you the rules on it, I have only perused it quickly though, book marked it for a later read.

Whitney

Wow.........!!

Here is a link to a petition for a citizen criminal complaint against police officers in Washington. I present it for it's instructional value, not for any comments about the merits of the case outlined in the complaint. The case is not OC related.

Link to complaint.

Thank You, this was very informative and educational. I will put this one to the memory banks. Is there a method by which we can follow the progress of this complaint or do we have to wait for it to be adjudicated?

~Whitney

END_THE_FED

Thanks for posting Dean,

I found the link to be very informative.
True it doesn't tell you exactly how to do it, but it does tell you where to start, you just have to read carefully, it looks like SVG is on the right track.
I am not sure if you would need a private attorney, I would think you could do it yourself.
However a wise man once told me, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client".

sudden valley gunner

Yea Dean thanks for the thread, this has lead to some great research yesterday and a lot to think about.

You could do this yourself, but man what a hassle, I know personally I would probably F it all up on some stupid technicality that unseasoned newbie attorney hired by whoever would be able to dismiss the whole claim. I'll just stick to carpentry.

sudden valley gunner

The more I look into this the not so hard it seems to do.

The first hurdle is getting a judge to go along with it.

I also don't think someone like myself would be good at a jury selection process, that is definitely something for a professional in my opinion.