• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Briefing on the loophole bill.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There's going to be a news briefing on the loophole bill at 9:30 tomorrow in the GA Building. I have meetings then so I can't go but hopefully Philip or someone from here will be.

TFred

There's going to be a news briefing on the loophole bill at 9:30 tomorrow in the GA Building. I have meetings then so I can't go but hopefully Philip or someone from here will be.
That is rather unsettling... reminds me of when Howell and Kaine announced they had reached an agreement on the restaurant smoking ban...

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
He's talking about the "gun show loophole" bill. You know the one where personal freedom in transacting private property has already been restricted when purchasing from a business, but the freedom haters want to ensure that there are further restrictions on personal sales of this particular type of private property.

nuc65

Activist Member
Here is what the Democrats are saying:

Dear Friend,

Over the past 50 years, our nation has suffered through a series of gun assassinations and mass shootings.

But even more shocking is the growing toll of everyday Americans who are gunned down in big cities and small towns.

It's time for common sense reforms to Fix Gun Checks and stem the tide of gun murders that leaves 34 Americans dead every day.

Please join more than 550 U.S. Mayors in calling on Congress to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people by taking two critical steps:

1) Get all the names of people who should be prohibited from buying guns into the background check system.

2) Require a background check for every gun sale in America.

Thanks for all you do!

The emphasis was mine

Last edited:

hunter45

They just talked about the bill on WUSA9 news. The reporter said that this bill could prevent mass shootings like the one at Virginia Tech.

nova

They just talked about the bill on WUSA9 news. The reporter said that this bill could prevent mass shootings like the one at Virginia Tech.
Seriously? The VT shooting proves that background checks and waiting periods (VA's one handgun a month law) do absolutely NOTHING except screw with law abiding citizens. Heck I'll go a step further and say it proves that magazine capacity limits do nothing too, since one of the guns he used uses 10rd mags. It also proves that university gun bans do jack sh!t.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
We've got the massacres at Virginia Tech, in Appomattox and the assassination of a federal judge and various others while attempting to assassinate a US congress woman to show that people could blow right past background checks and go on to do attrocious acts. Hell we had the BTK killer who was a known, but unidentified serial killer who held various jobs that certainly would've required background checks before he was ever caught and convicted for the crimes some 30 years later. Background checks never show anything you've been clever enough to get away with and don't give any indication of what you might do later.

nuc65

Activist Member
We've got the massacres at Virginia Tech, in Appomattox and the assassination of a federal judge and various others while attempting to assassinate a US congress woman to show that people could blow right past background checks and go on to do attrocious acts. Hell we had the BTK killer who was a known, but unidentified serial killer who held various jobs that certainly would've required background checks before he was ever caught and convicted for the crimes some 30 years later. Background checks never show anything you've been clever enough to get away with and don't give any indication of what you might do later.

!FLAG! Inappropriate use of logic and common sense.