• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland ALS - serpa killer

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone else here have experience with both the serpa and the safariland ALS? I recently bought a Safariland ALS for my glock and IMMEDIATELY sold my SERPA on ar15.com. Like, by immediately it sold within and hour of posting it.

Any who, most of you probably think the Serpa is oh so natural right? Probably couldn't have a retention system that feels any more natural than that! WRONG! I wish I could put into words how much more natural the ALS system is, especially if you're use to thumb breaks or even open top holsters.

The ALS forces you to push a button with your thumb as your getting a positive grip on your sidearm, it's so perfect and natural I like this more than my thumb break holsters. And a huge positive to this is that you're not pushing into your trigger area with your trigger finger. It might feel safe at the range but in a SHTF situation where you are drawing in a panic I just don't feel that the trigger finger should be used to depress anything in that area. (A brief google search will bring up a case or two of people actually shooting themselves while drawing from the serpa.)

So why am I posting this? Well I just got the ALS and it felt so good I just had to tell someone!

Attachments

• safarilandals.jpg
    safarilandals.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 781

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I was a bit concerned thinking that with out a hood or something there my shirt would get in the way of the button. Nope, even with something over the button the natural location of it is so perfect that, well, it just works. I don't even really notice the button.

swinokur

Activist Member
Cost comparison? I seldom use my Serpa as most carry is IWB. Hard to justify the extra expense if it's significant. The Serpa does work, albeit perhaps not as well as the Safariland.

Brion

I've been looking for some sort of Level 3 holster for my SA XD .45. But alas I have a Level 2 BH Serpa. I'm fine with it and I am confident with the perfect placement of the button that I am well above the trigger, along the slide when I draw even when I dry fire from a "SHTF draw" as fast as possible. However, I will admit that alot of my gun is exposed, and I might add, the button is obvious if someone went for a gun grab and I was that MS too slow on reaction.

I would love to try out a SL Level 3 or Level 4 for that matter and compare, but I wonder how much time would it add to my draw having to drop the hood, then press the thumb button to draw, vice the Serpa Level 3 of thumb button that drops the hood, AND the side button at the exact same time that BH offers. That and the SL looks like it's HUGE. Might just be because of the pictures and videos I've seen but how much size does it add to the gun?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Cost comparison? I seldom use my Serpa as most carry is IWB. Hard to justify the extra expense if it's significant. The Serpa does work, albeit perhaps not as well as the Safariland.

25 bucks on optics planet

serpa is 28

Perhaps the price difference isn't that significant, but the cheaper costing product here is by far the superior product IMO. SUEDE LINED SON!!!!!! lol

dmatting

25 bucks on optics planet

serpa is 28

Perhaps the price difference isn't that significant, but the cheaper costing product here is by far the superior product IMO. SUEDE LINED SON!!!!!! lol

I think I might be going with the Safariland ALS 6377...

Warp

What size belts do these fit? I am shopping for an OWB/open carry holster, hopefully for a Glock 21SF (will find out next week), and I've been burned in the past as I have a 1.75" Wilderness belt. My serpa, for example, fits a 1.5" belt just fine but doesn't properly fit the larger 1.75".

M

mattwestm

The only negative I have with the serpas is the huge paddle. My old iTac had a smaller paddle, but I didn't like the way the holster sat. I've got a leather OWB for my compact 1911, but it doesn't feel like it's secure.

REALteach4u

Schlitz, want to loan me that holster for a bit? :D

I'm with you, just cannot find anyone in my area that has one to really try out to see if there's a comparable difference and exactly what to note between them for students who might ask. Hands-on is always the way to go with these!

I had an Uncle Mike's Level III for my M9 when I was at Ft. Benning and I loved that holster. After a little practice I was so fast coming out of the holster that I never wanted to go back. Function was: Push down, twist grip towards body for release.

GuidoZ

Does anyone know a model # for the ALS (6377/6378 or close to it) for a XDm .40 SC (3.8" BBL)? I've hunted around for awhile and am coming up blank. (Plenty of options for the 4.5" or 5" BBL, but nothing smaller, except a XD 3.0".)

Appreciate any advice. Thanks! :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Last edited:

Dreamer

The only negative I have with the serpas is the huge paddle. My old iTac had a smaller paddle, but I didn't like the way the holster sat. I've got a leather OWB for my compact 1911, but it doesn't feel like it's secure.

One of the reasons why many people find the Serpa SO comfortable for carrying a full-size handgun like a 1911 or duty-sized Glock is because that "huge" paddle distributes the weight on the belt and against the hip more evenly and against a larger surface. Smaller paddles, clips or loops do not do this as effectively and that is why many other holsters are not nearly as comfy...

However, the curve on the Serpa paddle is made to an anatomical average, and so it may not fit well if you are really slender or more "portly"...

I'm lucky--I'm an off-the-rack size 40 Regular jacket/34" waist sized guy, so the Serpa fits me perfectly. And I have no complaints.

The one thing about the Safariland ALS that bothers me is that the retention-release button is RIGHT beside the thumb safety on a 1911, and I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea that I might accidentally take my safety off while unholstering under pressure, or from an odd position of cover or evasion.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
One of the reasons why many people find the Serpa SO comfortable for carrying a full-size handgun like a 1911 or duty-sized Glock is because that "huge" paddle distributes the weight on the belt and against the hip more evenly and against a larger surface. Smaller paddles, clips or loops do not do this as effectively and that is why many other holsters are not nearly as comfy...

This is one of the main reasons I started using the SERPA. I am actually pretty skinny and need as much surface area on the paddle as I can get.

dmatting

Does anyone know a model # for the ALS (6377/6378 or close to it) for a XDm .40 SC (3.8" BBL)? I've hunted around for awhile and am coming up blank. (Plenty of options for the 4.5" or 5" BBL, but nothing smaller, except a XD 3.0".)

Appreciate any advice. Thanks! :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Go to the Optics Planet Safariland holster selector page here...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-holster-catalog-selector.html

Click on Gun Selector for Safariland Concealment Holsters with and without Lights-Pistols
Click on SpringfieldArmory (or if you have lights on your gun click on SpringfieldArmorty with Lights)
Click on XD-45, XD-9, XD-40, XD-357; BBL - 4.00"

My understanding is that the XD and the XDm should fit the same holsters. If the list of options does not show any of the 6377 holsters, then just type in the full code number for the 6378 holster into the their search engine but use 6377 instead of 6378 and the belt loop holster should pop up.

GuidoZ

Go to the Optics Planet Safariland holster selector page here...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-holster-catalog-selector.html

Click on Gun Selector for Safariland Concealment Holsters with and without Lights-Pistols
Click on SpringfieldArmory (or if you have lights on your gun click on SpringfieldArmorty with Lights)
Click on XD-45, XD-9, XD-40, XD-357; BBL - 4.00"

My understanding is that the XD and the XDm should fit the same holsters. If the list of options does not show any of the 6377 holsters, then just type in the full code number for the 6378 holster into the their search engine but use 6377 instead of 6378 and the belt loop holster should pop up.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply! My concern was the BBL - I would assume even a 4.5" holster would be fine for a 3.8" pistol, but I'm not entirely sure if everything else is the same between the XDm .40 Tactical 4.5" and the XDm .40 Sub-Compact 3.8"... I think I'd rather get the XDm 4.5" than the XD 4.0". A friend has the XD .40 - I'll see if I can compare them side by side. Thanks again!

--
Peace. ~G

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
My internet is dead and I won't have a technician out till monday, but when it is back and running I will post more pictures showing how it works and all.

I'm with you, just cannot find anyone in my area that has one to really try out to see if there's a comparable difference and exactly what to note between them for students who might ask. Hands-on is always the way to go with these!
hmmm.... just trust me on this one. This holster is amazing.

*until my internet is back and running I'm on a cell phone.

Last edited:

GuidoZ

I appreciate your thoughtful reply! My concern was the BBL - I would assume even a 4.5" holster would be fine for a 3.8" pistol, but I'm not entirely sure if everything else is the same between the XDm .40 Tactical 4.5" and the XDm .40 Sub-Compact 3.8"... I think I'd rather get the XDm 4.5" than the XD 4.0". A friend has the XD .40 - I'll see if I can compare them side by side. Thanks again!

--
Peace. ~G
FYI - Any holster for an XD .40 4.0" will fit a XDm .40 SC 3.8" very nicely. :D Ordered up!

--
Peace. ~G