• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ca. Suprme court allows cell phones to be searched without warrant

Yaki

Cops are now allowed to search cell phones if you are arrested. They can go thru all your files that the phone accesses. Better reconsider using your cell phone to upload police stops as they can easily be deleted err accidently deleted.

Robin47

Cops are now allowed to search cell phones if you are arrested. They can go thru all your files that the phone accesses. Better reconsider using your cell phone to upload police stops as they can easily be deleted err accidently deleted.

Thanks Yaki, As I always say "Its better to know then not", even if its bad news.
Carry on Bro !
Robin47

tall_tree

Attachments

• ht_ufed_physical_pro_ll_110421_wg.jpg
    ht_ufed_physical_pro_ll_110421_wg.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 64

stuckinchico

There is also a program that infects that device. There is also a company that sells a chip that is for blackberry that encrypts everything, i have this its great secure calls are great. It was expense but worth it. It protects my clients too

cadurand

Your password is worthless. All of these mobile phones have back doors that can be access via the USB port. A mobile extraction device can remove all the data without you ever even knowing it has happened.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mi...action-devices-aclu-objects/story?id=13428178
Do you know this for a fact?

The only reason I ask is when I got new new phone in May they moved all my contacts over from the previous phone (a Palm Pre Plus) and I had a password on it.

They hooked everything up.. and then my Palm asked for the password before it would connect.

I typed it in, and the data was transferred.

I'm under no illusion that my phone is cop-proof with the a password. But it seems like it would hinder them at the very least.

But there are split decisions on searching people's phones with a warrant. The Supreme Court is going to have to ultimately decide this one.

We-the-People

So how is plugging a phone into a device any different from pulling the piece of electrical tape from over my weapons serial number?

Absent a warrant how can any court possibly think it's okay to search someones phone?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and siezures...."

I guess the court thinks stealing your phone data and/or scrolling through it is "reasonable". Didn't the French elites think they were being reasonable right before the people sacked them?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Absent a warrant how can any court possibly think it's okay to search someones phone?

Look up the opinion and read the court's rationale. I vaguely recall the rationale in a similar case being that a person and all his stuff on him is covered under the so-called "search incident to arrest" warrant exception.

Personally, I say its bullhockey. Used to be, the cops wanted call records, they had to get a warrant and pester the phone company. No reason to change it.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

That and the ability to track your every move through your cell, and remotely listen to your conversations even if you turn your phone off, is making me think twice about carrying my phone with me everywhere.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That and the ability to track your every move through your cell, and remotely listen to your conversations even if you turn your phone off, is making me think twice about carrying my phone with me everywhere.

Just take the battery out.

I wonder. How would it work to cut a narrow slot in the battery cover, and insert a piece of posterboard or other electrically insulative material betweent the phone and battery terminals? Kinda like Hallmark greeting cards where you slip out the little piece of plastic so the melody plays when the card is opened.

sudden valley gunner

Just take the battery out.

I wonder. How would it work to cut a narrow slot in the battery cover, and insert a piece of posterboard or other electrically insulative material betweent the phone and battery terminals? Kinda like Hallmark greeting cards where you slip out the little piece of plastic so the melody plays when the card is opened.

Not a bad idea, I know someone who has removed their GPS chip, and no feds have crashed down his door yet.:lol: