• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fox attacks Ranger, 3-year-old, mother at Two Lights State Park

carry for myself

holy crap! i used to go there with my ex all the time. tiny tiny TINY little place. never have i seen anything other than birds there. wow.......shows you truely never are safe.

Maine CWP Training

It turns out that aggressive fox that bit three people in Cape Elizabeth Thursday -- was rabid. The boy thought the fox was a cat and tried to pet it. The animal bit him twice, once on the hand and once on the leg. The fox then bit the boys mother and also a park ranger earlier in the day.

rscottie

From the story: "Officials say an unarmed park ranger in Maine used a weed whacker to chase away a fox after it attacked a 3-year-old and the child's mother at a popular state park. A police officer eventually clubbed it to death."

I find it odd that the Park Ranger was not armed and comical that he had to use a weed whacker to chase the fox away. I find it even more odd that a police officer chose to get close enough to beat the fox to death instead of shooting it!

Maine CWP Training

Even PETA would say clubbing an animal to death is far less humane than shooting it. Rangers will be able to carry firearms in State Parks after September 14th, 2011 too!

MKEgal

Maine CWP Training said:
It turns out that aggressive fox... was rabid.
That was my first thought.
Other than polar bears, & sow bears w/ cubs, generally wild animals will prefer to get away from humans if they can.
Rabies shots & crossed fingers all around for the people who were bit.

I wonder why rangers (who are generally considered LEO, aren't they?) aren't already armed,
and WHY would the police officer choose such a difficult & painful way to kill the poor fox?
Yes, I feel sorry for the fox, too, because it was suffering from both the rabies & the beating.

carry for myself

at least he didnt tazer it , claiming he mistook it for a 7 year old throwing a tantrum............:uhoh: