• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Scott Rejects request for ban during RNC convention

seminoles1999

Florida: Gov. rejects request from Tampa mayor to ban guns during RNC convention

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has rejected a request from the Tampa mayor to prohibit the carrying of guns in downtown during the Republican National Convention this summer because it would infringe upon "sacred constitutional traditions," according to a letter released Wednesday

Source: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120503/NEWS02/705039890

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Florida: Gov. rejects request from Tampa mayor to ban guns during RNC convention

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has rejected a request from the Tampa mayor to prohibit the carrying of guns in downtown during the Republican National Convention this summer because it would infringe upon "sacred constitutional traditions," according to a letter released Wednesday

Source: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120503/NEWS02/705039890

A pro-freedom Governor tells a gutless, pos democrap to shove it ** *** ***. You gotta love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManInBlack

A pro-freedom Governor tells a gutless, pos democrap to shove it ** *** ***. You gotta love it.

Or, a typical politician claims credit for not doing something he had no legal authority to do anyway... :rolleyes:

WCrawford

Or, a typical politician claims credit for not doing something he had no legal authority to do anyway... :rolleyes:

Either way, the definitive anti-rights politician was told "No."

Gunslinger

Come on, now. The governor upheld a sacred right and I don't believe politics was involved. Merely the difference between those who support our freedoms and those who would suspend them when 'they' think it's convenient.

ManInBlack

Come on, now. The governor upheld a sacred right and I don't believe politics was involved. Merely the difference between those who support our freedoms and those who would suspend them when 'they' think it's convenient.

The point is that under state preemption, the governor had no authority in the first place to ban guns. The correct thing to do would have been to say loudly and proudly that, "Under the Florida Constitution and law, neither I, nor any other public official, has the authority to prohibit the free exercise of the people's right to keep and bear arms."

Instead, he engaged in the the typical politician credit-claiming game. I mean, obviously, I would rather have pro-gun politicians than anti-gun, but the governor deserves no special accolades here. He refused to do what he was prohibited from doing anyway and then claimed credit for refusing, all in the name of scoring cheap political points with people like us.

Hopefully most of us can see through the smoke and mirrors.

Gunslinger

The point is that under state preemption, the governor had no authority in the first place to ban guns. The correct thing to do would have been to say loudly and proudly that, "Under the Florida Constitution and law, neither I, nor any other public official, has the authority to prohibit the free exercise of the people's right to keep and bear arms."

Instead, he engaged in the the typical politician credit-claiming game. I mean, obviously, I would rather have pro-gun politicians than anti-gun, but the governor deserves no special accolades here. He refused to do what he was prohibited from doing anyway and then claimed credit for refusing, all in the name of scoring cheap political points with people like us.

Hopefully most of us can see through the smoke and mirrors.

The pos democrap is the one who tried to ban a right. The governor was the one who affirmed the right. Irrespective of claiming credit, he did the right thing constitutionally and showed an anti-gun nut for what he was. The net sum: favorable. If he got a few credits, I can live with that.

ManInBlack

The pos democrap is the one who tried to ban a right. The governor was the one who affirmed the right. Irrespective of claiming credit, he did the right thing constitutionally and showed an anti-gun nut for what he was. The net sum: favorable. If he got a few credits, I can live with that.

He did not affirm the right! Floridians have the right to keep and bear arms without interference from any government entity other than the Legislature. That is the whole point of preemption! Instead of acknowledging that fact, the governor was quite happy to pretend as though he was king for the day, and actually had any kind of authority to ban guns.

It is disappointing to see such an intelligent poster blinded by the two-party false dichotomy.

Gunslinger

He did not affirm the right! Floridians have the right to keep and bear arms without interference from any government entity other than the Legislature. That is the whole point of preemption! Instead of acknowledging that fact, the governor was quite happy to pretend as though he was king for the day, and actually had any kind of authority to ban guns.

It is disappointing to see such an intelligent poster blinded by the two-party false dichotomy.

You and I disagree so rarely, I'm surprised we are here. I understand your point, but consider that the governor could have simply ignored the anti-gun, anti-freedom mayor, and let the law control, res ipsa loquitur. Instead he spoke up and did, prima facie, affirm a right as a right. Forget the party labels. I would give the same kudo to a democrat, if there is one out there, who did the same thing against an anti Republican. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.