• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Playboy talks protection and ‘baring’ arms

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The June 2012 edition of Playboy, which hit the newsstands last Friday, features an article by Pat Jordan entitled “Armed & Dangerous: Has Gun Culture Gone Too Far?” In the article, in which I am quoted, Pat discusses the open carry movement and the concerns that some have expressed about gun owners “baring it all.”

Jordan, an admitted concealed carrier and believer in self-defense rights, clearly has a problem with open carry. He stereotypes, generalizes, and often just plain gets it wrong. Despite the fact that I am inordinately proud to have been quoted in Playboy, I feel duty bound to offer a point by point rebuttal to his article.

Excerpt ... Read More

carsontech

Activist Member
That was a great rebuttal to ignorance!

Closed minded people, like Pat Jordan, are just projecting why they, themselves, would open carry. These closed minded people never think to ask the actual people that open carry every day why they open carry.

Jack House

Drats, now I gotta buy a Playboy magazine so I can read that article. eusa_shifty.gif

Last edited:

mohawk001

The June 2012 edition of Playboy, which hit the newsstands last Friday, features an article by Pat Jordan entitled “Armed & Dangerous: Has Gun Culture Gone Too Far?” In the article, in which I am quoted, Pat discusses the open carry movement and the concerns that some have expressed about gun owners “baring it all.”

Jordan, an admitted concealed carrier and believer in self-defense rights, clearly has a problem with open carry. He stereotypes, generalizes, and often just plain gets it wrong. Despite the fact that I am inordinately proud to have been quoted in Playboy, I feel duty bound to offer a point by point rebuttal to his article.

Excerpt ... Read More

I would like you to clarify what you meant by the following:

"Anyone open carrying at a presidential event will be staged in a “free-speech area” far away from the President and carefully watched."

I ask because I remember back to Phoenix where there was an individual (actually multiple, but the news usually only showed and named the one person) who was OC while the President was there to give a speech to the national VFW convention. That person was not staged to any particular area.

Sig229

I ask because I remember back to Phoenix where there was an individual (actually multiple, but the news usually only showed and named the one person) who was OC while the President was there to give a speech to the national VFW convention. That person was not staged to any particular area.

Yes, but I think the OC'er you are referring to wasnt inside the actual event where the president was speaking at.
I believe he was outside the building.

I'll try to find some more info on it....

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Aw shucks ... Thanks! :)

John

That was a great rebuttal to ignorance!

Closed minded people, like Pat Jordan, are just projecting why they, themselves, would open carry. These closed minded people never think to ask the actual people that open carry every day why they open carry.

SFCRetired

Isn't the opposition of the "concealed-carry only" crowd a backlash against the threat to their income that open carry poses? Every time I see, and this may just be my perception, someone voicing an opposition to open carry, it seems that same person is an instructor of a course required in his/her state to obtain a permit.

This, btw, is apparently the same reason the Alabama Sheriffs' Association opposed the legislation that would have done away with the requirement to have a pistol permit to carry in a vehicle. They did not want to lose the income that permits provide.

Personal opinion: A true supporter of the rights protected by the Second Amendment should recognize that the method of carry is immaterial as long as it is a safe method.

A right subject to a governmental permission slip is no right at all, but a privilege which can be revoked at the whim of of said government.