• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refused .22LR ammo at Port Orchard Fred Meyer

EMNofSeattle

so today I went into to Fred Meyers after the meetup and saw some Federal .22 on the shelves, so I asked for it and go to pay, he asks for ID so i show him, and he saws that until my 21st birthday I can't buy it, saying their ATF license "defines .22 as pistol ammo" and "it's against state law" so I asked to speak to his manager, and he made every excuse not to call the manager so I told him I was leaving.

So I spoke to the manager over the phone and he said that store policy is not to sell .22lr to anyone under 21....

I'm going to go ahead and draft an email to corporate asking one more time... but it looks I'm going to have to do the unthinkable and start shopping at Wal*Mart

FreeInAZ

Well you are like 12 rignt? Just kidding. Stores often have wishy washy policies. One might point out that the its called 22 Long Rifle for a reason. I have a younger friend who used to have issues buying ammo. Now he makes sure to tell them it's for a long gun (it is) & he has no more problems. Most clerks/managers will simply say no vs. risk doing something they have no clue about being legal or not. Being young does have it's draw backs. But then again, I'm so old I can remeber buying 22lr @ local party stores as a kid. ;)

EMNofSeattle

Well you are like 12 rignt? Just kidding. Stores often have wishy washy policies. One might point out that the its called 22 Long Rifle for a reason. I have a younger friend who used to have issues buying ammo. Now he makes sure to tell them it's for a long gun (it is) & he has no more problems. Most clerks/managers will simply say no vs. risk doing something they have no clue about being legal or not. Being young does have it's draw backs. But then again, I'm so old I can remeber buying 22lr @ local party stores as a kid. ;)

Well yeah, I mean I just have to be going to WalMart and the LGS to buy the .22 since both of them well sell to me.

I have never been refused a sale of ammunition before, ever.

I buy .223 and .22 frequently. first time at Freds, but the clerk and the manager both insisted the ATF told them that it's pistol food. evidentally the ATF is holding out on Wal Mart, and Sportsmen's Warehouse, and every local gun store from here to Missoula that I've purchased ammo at.

I only have one more month until I'm 21, still I can't believe this happened, so I'll send a politely written request to FM corporate asking them to review that policy, but it looks like I'll have no choice but the spend my money at their competitors stores.

stealthyeliminator

My sarcastic side wants to say you should show them a picture of a .22 rifle (or carry one in if its legal) and ask "is this a pistol or a rifle? I can't tell?"

Trigger Dr

Last three boxes

Eric,
Go online and print out the ATF decision on the sale of ammunition that can be used in either pistol or rifle. Take that in with you.

The caveat is Freddy's is a business and they have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

Had this issue I was 19 at Academy. I printed out the ATF rules, disassembled my Marlin model 60 and took it's stock in to the store! !

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old?
Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#interchangeable-ammo-sales

deanf

[h=6]They probably don't even have an ATF license. None is required for selling ammo, and they don't sell guns, so . . .

Q: Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition?
[/h]No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.
[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

If asked if 22lr ammo is for pistol or rifle I tell them a machine gun. That gets strange looks on their face and haven't been refused a sale yet.

hermannr

One time at the WalMart in Omak I picked up a few boxes of .22 and when I got to the counter the checker says "is this for a rifle or a pistol/" I said it could be used for either, Why? Checker says: "I don't know, it is just that the screen asks the question and will not go on until I answer it." I'm sure if I said pistol the gal would have had a second screen asking for ID (I am over 65. WalMart is the only place I have been asked for ID to buy beer in over 40 years.)

So as these sales screens are set up by corporate, it may be similar at Freddy's. Freddy's does sell firearms, but not in every store. A letter to corporate would probably be in order, and will probably solve the problem. Just like WalMart, at Freddy's local managers are grunts that draw a salary instead of OT.