• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Florid friends, how do you know?

AFCop

When a business gets m9re then 50% of their sales from on site alcohol consumption. Do they have to post a sign or something? Thanks in advance.

77zach

You don't know. The law is ambiguous and stupid plus routinely disregarded, especially in bar areas at chain restaurants. Fortunately concealed means concealed, which means my XDm and 20 rounds of 9mm go with me anywhere the state isn't screening. If you want to obey the "law" I would definitely avoid places that have "bar" in their name without "& grill" after it.

notalawyer

When a business gets m9re then 50% of their sales from on site alcohol consumption. Do they have to post a sign or something? Thanks in advance.

Why should we care? It has nothing, at all, to do with where we are allowed to carry firearms.

Also, please disregard everything in the post above. It is all completely wrong and suggests illegal activity.

Last edited:

77zach

Why should we care? It has nothing, at all, to do with where we are allowed to carry firearms.

Also, please disregard everything in the post above. It is all completely wrong and suggests illegal activity.

"Which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose." Since the statute doesn't give us any more information we're left to read into it. The OP is relevant to where we can carry firearms legally.

notalawyer

"Which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose." Since the statute doesn't give us any more information we're left to read into it. The OP is relevant to where we can carry firearms legally.

Your previous post did not cite the law and your second post on quoted a portion of it. And because you do not understand it you call it ambiguous. It's really not.

Then you go on to state you violate the law on a routine basis. :banghead:

Please stop advocating illegal activities to folks new to carrying a firearm in Florida. It is a disservice.

Plus, the amount of revenue is completely irrelevant when it comes to off-limits establishments.

OP, just do not carry into a stand-alone bar (one that is not attached to any other occupancy - and you can smoke inside) or belly up to the actual bar in a restaurant and you'll be fine.

77zach

OP, just do not carry into a stand-alone bar (one that is not attached to any other occupancy - and you can smoke inside) or belly up to the actual bar in a restaurant and you'll be fine.

"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"

This law is not clear. Can I carry in a pool hall? I've been in one where I thought the law was ambiguous. I carried anyway. When I go to outback steakhouse, can I sit in the booths near the bar, as long as I don't "belly up" to it? Can I walk through the bar area on the way to the bathroom?

notalawyer

"Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"

This law is not clear. Can I carry in a pool hall? I've been in one where I thought the law was ambiguous. I carried anyway. When I go to outback steakhouse, can I sit in the booths near the bar, as long as I don't "belly up" to it? Can I walk through the bar area on the way to the bathroom?

Yes to all. Just stay away form the actual bar.

See, not really that hard is it? :eek:

Last edited:

77zach

Yes to all. Just stay away form the actual bar.

See, not really that hard is it? :eek:

I would agree with you and carry anyway. However, Fl Carry and Eric Friday disagree with you, and I can understand why. I can also see anti gun law enforcement interpreting this law so as to ruin my day.

Rich7553

I would agree with you and carry anyway. However, Fl Carry and Eric Friday disagree with you, and I can understand why. I can also see anti gun law enforcement interpreting this law so as to ruin my day.

Exactly what are we disagreeing to, in you view? Please be specific.

77zach

Exactly what are we disagreeing to, in you view? Please be specific.

A couple years ago there was a thread in here where Sean said you could not go into the area in a restaurant that was partially enclosed by regular booths because the partial enclosure also contained a bar that you could sit at. All Outback restaurants seem to have these areas. Sean said his attorney said "No" and I say it's ambiguous. Notalaywer says "yes" as long as you don't sit down at the actual bar.

notalawyer

A couple years ago there was a thread in here where Sean said you could not go into the area in a restaurant that was partially enclosed by regular booths because the partial enclosure also contained a bar that you could sit at. All Outback restaurants seem to have these areas. Sean said his attorney said "No" and I say it's ambiguous. Notalaywer says "yes" as long as you don't sit down at the actual bar.

In addition to my own interpretation, I received this information directly from one A.S.A. who invited me for a drink at the hotel lounge during a USPSA match. (She was a cutie too!) As well as several conversations with LEO's (which I discounted), SA's, and ASA's during my visits to courthouses/courtrooms during trials I was following/researching.

Rich7553

If you could find the thread, I'd like to read it. I don't recall the particulars.