• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Are we going to jail?': Police pulled over an innocent mother and her four children

OC for ME

According to local police, they had received a call from someone saying a driver was on the freeway waiving a gun out the window. The car was described as a beige or tan-colored Toyota with four black males. Barbour was driving a burgundy red Nissan Maxima at the time.

-later -

Police then told her that they got a complaint that a vehicle 'matching your description and your license plate' was waiving a gun.

-then later again-

Detective Michael Clay says that police treated the situation properly because of the nature of the call and the fact that a weapon was involved.
Treated the situation properly. :rolleyes:

Kopis

i dont know, there are certainly two sides to every story. I think what concerns me is that the report was for a beige toyota SUV and they step a maroon nissan maxima. Reminds me of the LA shootings where they were looking for a gray nissan titan and shoot up a random neon blue toyota tacoma. it's like dont you have to deal with identifying cars all day? shouldnt you be an expert at telling the different in a car or an SUV at least?

You can hear in the video when they realize it's not the right vehicle, the LEOs are doing their best to comfort the kids. they have real concern and empathy in their voice.

OC for ME

i dont know, there are certainly two sides to every story. I think what concerns me is that the report was for a beige toyota SUV and they step a maroon nissan maxima. Reminds me of the LA shootings where they were looking for a gray nissan titan and shoot up a random neon blue toyota tacoma. it's like dont you have to deal with identifying cars all day? shouldnt you be an expert at telling the different in a car or an SUV at least?

You can hear in the video when they realize it's not the right vehicle, the LEOs are doing their best to comfort the kids. they have real concern and empathy in their voice.
Well, what would be the other side of the story knowing what was told to 911 and then to the cops.

Who go on to tell a bald face lie:
Officer: “We got a complaint of a vehicle matching your description and your license plate, waving a gun out the window.”
To justify the stop.

Employing cops who are not able to differentiate colors, or classes of vehicles, is the least of that cop shops problems.

I really like the exchange regarding the kids.
Officer 1: “Do they look young to you?"
Officer 2: “They do to me.”
Officer 1: “Huh?”
Officer 2: “They do to me.”
Officer 1: “Yep, they’re young.”
Officer 1: [To other officers] “Gun down, gun down, gun down.”
Officer 1: [As the child exits the vehicle] “Come on back here, son. Come on back here, you’re alright.
Not really, he just got a gun pointed at his mom/godmother.
Within moments, the officers are trying to calm the children’s nerves.
Good luck.
Officer: "Y’all okay?
Child: “I’m scared."
Officer: “It’s okay."
Child: "Are we going to jail?”
Officer: “No. No one is going to jail.”
Child: [Scream, crying]
Officer: “Hey, stop crying. It’s okay. It’s okay. Everything’s fine now.”
Trick question? Careful kids, ya'll just might be hauled off to jail if ya'll don't calm down.

And cops wonder why some folks will not trust any cop.

Maverick9

Reporter: "Was Barbour treated properly by the police?"

“For the nature of the call - that a weapon was involved - yes,” Detective Clay said.

The nature of Detective Clay is that he's a ******. He should put that on his resume.

OC for ME

Reporter: "Was Barbour treated properly by the police?"

The nature of Detective Clay is that he's a ******. He should put that on his resume.
Gun involved. All ya need to know. Makes every thing OK.

The car does not match. Many cars take that exit and the car taking the exit right now still does not match the car. I await the other side of the story.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, one is going to assume that the witness who called it in knows colors either?

But ya cannot simply stop every Toyota or look-a-like (after all, why assume the caller is correct on anything?) ...

I miss the days of "don't tase me bro" ... don't you?

Maverick9

Think about it legally. For the standard misdemeanor, LE can not do anything if they are not there to witness it. Yet, here someone calls in something vague and they mobilize, pull people over, put them in cuffs. It's not even SOP. How are they getting away with this?

OTOH, I think they shut down a whole campus (SCSU/SM) because someone was seen carrying a black umbrella. http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/08/23/swat-called-umbrella-toting-teacher-video/

Can't be too careful - fry 'em from orbit to be safe.

OC for ME

Think about it legally. For the standard misdemeanor, LE can not do anything if they are not there to witness it. Yet, here someone calls in something vague and they mobilize, pull people over, put them in cuffs. It's not even SOP. How are they getting away with this?

OTOH, I think they shut down a whole campus (SCSU/SM) because someone was seen carrying a black umbrella. http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/08/23/swat-called-umbrella-toting-teacher-video/

Can't be too careful - fry 'em from orbit to be safe.
Is it a felony to wave a gun around in TX?

I suspect that the cops were/are going to claim that a possible felony was reported and as such a felony stop is reasonable given that the word gun was uttered by someone.

stealthyeliminator

Is it a felony to wave a gun around in TX?

I suspect that the cops were/are going to claim that a possible felony was reported and as such a felony stop is reasonable given that the word gun was uttered by someone.

Generally speaking I do not think it's a felony to just 'wave a gun around.' I'm guessing it would depend on the exact circumstance, though, as to what charges they settled on.