• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Walmarts refusing to sell ammo on 3rd shift.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Walmart Supercenter
6100 West Reno Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73127
(405) 491-0320 ‎

I work late. I prefer to do my shopping at night, when the store is slow.

I was not open carrying, we aren't allowed to do that here in Oklahoma (yet). This Walmart refused to sell me ammo at midnight. The employees told me that there was a Federal law restricting ammo sales at night. I told them that wasn't true, and I asked to see a manager, and I got Josie (assistant manager). She tells me that it's Walmart policy not to sell ammo from 10PM to 7AM. I already know that walmart has no such policy, because I got the store manager at another store who already corrected his employees.

I called walmart corporate (1-800-walmart) and was told thre is no such policy. They took my complaint, and told me that someone would call me. Well, today someone called me. Some assistant manager from the store, who told me that that has been that store's policy for as long as she has worked there, and that one time some criminal fired a gun in the store. This is why they have the policy.

I asked her when the shooting incident took place, and she admitted that the incident happened since they have had that policy. I told her that clearly the incident was not prevented by the policy not to sell ammo to law abiding citizens on 3rd shift. I tried to reason with her, but she told me that she doesn't have authority to set store policy. I then asked why she was the one who was calling me back, then? I also asked her to get someone who DOES have that authority to call me back. I even proposed that perhaps NOBODY had that authority?

I know, I know... many people hate walmart. Many people refuse to shop there. However, you have to admit that we should all have the ability to buy ammo any time and any place that it's legal and a store is open.

I'm planning to keep bugging them on this issue. Hopefully I will get an area manager to call me before long.

DWCook

Activist Member
Olathe Walmart Super Center
Store #577
13600 S. Alden Street
Olathe, Kansas 66062
(913) 829-4404

We have a walmart here in Kansas off of 135th in Olathe that refused to sell me ammunition when it was a little after 10pm. The sporting goods department employee told me they are not allowed until the morning of the new business day. I asked them why considering other walmarts have sold me ammunition in the early morning hours of 4am. I also have purchased ammunition at late hours from this location before, so to me something does not make any sense. I have heard of people saying its a Federal Law but I can't confirm with my encounter. Only thing I recall is me being told I will have to wait till the morning of the new day. Like I said it does not make any sense considering that it is perfectly legal to sell ammunition during all hours of the day and night at that specific walmart and other 24 hour wallmarts.

Last edited:

okiebryan

I asked them why considering other wallmarts have sold me a bible in the early morning hours of 4am. What didn't make sense was the employee kept specifying and stating, who in their right mind would be buying a bible at this time. The employee also told me it that its strange someone would be wanting to buy bibles at this time of the hour. Also remembering this is a 24 hour store.

I substituted another legal and constitutionally protected product, just to point out how ridiculous this is.

DWCook

Activist Member
Never mind....LOL I figured out that you are just doing this as to making a point. I kept thinking of something else :) :) oh little fyi I changed up the original paragraph to sound more professional and not so per say childish. The part you have quoted and high lighted is not there for purposes to keep the topic straight and professional. Personal opinions at this point should not be a factor in this issue, more so walmarts policy.

Last edited:

Z1P2

Question, were you buying handgun ammo?

I ask because I haven't even found handgun ammo at my local walmarts. They've said that they don't carry handguns, ammo, or anything for handguns (except they do carry a handgun cleaning kit). If you can buy ammo at your walmart at all, I think you're lucky.

okiebryan

Never mind....LOL I figured out that you are just doing this as to making a point. I kept thinking of something else :) :) oh little fyi I changed up the original paragraph to sound more professional and not so per say childish. The part you have quoted and high lighted is not there for purposes to keep the topic straight and professional. Personal opinions at this point should not be a factor in this issue, more so walmarts policy.

I wish you had left the original text intact. It goes a long way toward showing how employees and their silly and ignorant opinions are turning away purchases of perfectly legal products, when Wal-Mart corporate has no policy to do so.

Dreamer

I ask because I haven't even found handgun ammo at my local walmarts. They've said that they don't carry handguns, ammo, or anything for handguns (except they do carry a handgun cleaning kit). If you can buy ammo at your walmart at all, I think you're lucky.

Wow, even in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, they sell handgun ammo in WalMarts. I've never bought it there, because it is 15-25% more than the same ammo in stores in VA, but I've seen 9mm, .38special, .357 magnum, .40, and .45acp in MD WalMarts...

As for the time of day, I have purchased handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo in WalMarts in NC and VA after midnight with no issue, except they DID make me pay for it at the sporting goods counter, and didn't want me to carry it in my cart to the front checkout. And I was OCing every time I did it...

okiebryan

I never got the opportunity to specify which ammo I wanted. Their rifle and handgun ammo is all locked up in the same case. Shotgun ammo , OTOH, is on the shelf where you can pick up all you want 24/7.

Just to be clear, my age is not an issue. I'm 43 and certainly don't look 18 or 21.

There's another WM where I have no problem buying ammo, but their selection is dismal. This store was well stocked, but refused to sell because of the hour.

DWCook

Activist Member
The store I went to had more pistol ammunition more so rifle or shotgun. Maybe because they sell more pistol ammunition than the others, I'm not sure. But I did request at first to get access to the locked ammunition to purchase it and I was OCing. I OC everytime I go to that walmart, so that situation hasn't really changed I guess. It just confused me as I have purchased ammo past the 10pm time before, but more frequent I do get the "I can't sell you ammunition till the new day". I do realize that they can sell me ammunition passed 10pm, it just seems more being lazy than anything else. I was told before that there "Sporting Goods Department" key holder was not available at this time. I did say I would wait, but they proceeded to pretty much tell me they can't sell me the ammo till the new business day.

oh on prices with ammo, I have found more so over half the time the price per box of pistol rounds with most calibers seems to be the same at that walmart. Maybe a dollar at the most higher, but nothing horrible. I normally buy ammo in large volume more so individual boxes. 500 rounds to 1000 rounds crates.

Last edited:

JeepSeller

refused to sell because of the hour.

That's probably why they are well stocked. LOL

As one can see by the hour I'm posting, I'm a total night owl. So, I too prefer to hit up my local WalMart this time of night. Mine has the same insidious policy. In fact, I've encountered several around Central Florida that way. I've had the same silly discussions with silly employees as well as managers. I FINALLY got the most logical answer yet from a fella stocking shelves in the area.... He said that they don't man that department at night (sporting goods) meaning, no none has a key to the ammo case. A night manager probably has one, or at least has access to one, but, it's damn difficult to flag one down at night. Thus, a policy that won't tick off customers waiting on a manger to drop what he/she is doing to go dig up a key.

I still don't like it, but, made more sense to me than any of the junk the managers tried to sell me.

FMJ 911

I haven't bought ammo at walmart in a long time. Normally my Dad wants to go to Walmart with me, and since he works Swingshift, we go in late at night, usually around 12:00 AM. So we used to buy ammo at night, but now no one will help us(They keep all the ammo locked up except for shotgun ammo), so we actually ran out of 9mm ammo because that's where most of it came from! I think I'll get up early tomorrow and drop $30(3 boxes/150 rounds) to resupply my 9mm levels.

I'm not making this personal, just trying to tell you why I don't like their policy, but I will just have to work around it. And I'll make sure to really stock up this time. I might even buy $50 worth if I feel like it.

DWCook

Activist Member
Yeah this seems to be a never ending battle with walmart. It does make partial sense that there is know one in that department available to unlock the case. But to go to the extent on being extremely lazy and making up crap to get customers to come back when the employees feel like unlocking the case is crap. If a manager has access to the damn key and I'm requesting to purchase ammo, that manager better full fill his duties as one and get that key. He's not being paid to not assist customers with a purchase.

okiebryan

I think that more people who are running into this problem need to call their corporate complaint line at 1-800-walmart. I've done a little google searching, and this seems to be a problem at one store, but not another. If you call the toll free number, then someone from that store has to call you back. If they give you the run around, then ask to speak to the next higher person. Tell them that you wish to buy a legal product that thy offer for sale, and that you prefer to shop at night when the store is quieter. The more we point out the illogical reasons behind their policy to the right person, the more stores seem to stop this nonsense.

Why would corporate want their employees to turn away customers? I don't think that they do.

OC for ME

You did not fix anything. You changed the meaning of my post to suit your purpose. If not being able to buy ammo at 10:00.00 PM is a issue, buy your ammo at 9:59.59 PM.

Your preference for when you choose to make a purchase does not necessarily require a business to accommodate your preference. There are other businesses that would gladly sell you ammo at 10:00.00 PM....if not, then plan your shopping excursion accordingly.

papa bear

You did not fix anything. You changed the meaning of my post to suit your purpose. If not being able to buy ammo at 10:00.00 PM is a issue, buy your ammo at 9:59.59 PM.

Your preference for when you choose to make a purchase does not necessarily require a business to accommodate your preference. There are other businesses that would gladly sell you ammo at 10:00.00 PM....if not, then plan your shopping excursion accordingly.

i am surprised you are not shocked that a store will not sell you a legal product, just because of the time.