• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So no firearms OR OC Spray allowed in the S.S. office?

Aaron1124

I'm pretty sure the U.S. Code said "Firearms or other dangerous weapons". Since when is O.C. Spray a dangerous weapon? They told my wife she had to go bring it back out to the car. She carries personal protection spray on her key chain and denied her entrance.

69Charger

There can be a lot of anger in there. Fuel for a bad happening.
JMHO
Dave

jeeper1

When I lived in the PRK south I was hassled for having a Buck 110 on my belt when I tried to enter a SS office. I had to leave in locked in my pu.

Ruby

LOL....yea folks are more angry with the feds lately,,,,:lol:

What I meant by that is I don't believe we are allowed to carry in any federal bldg, such as the post office. I also think that that was the law long before the current adminstration. That said, I do agree with you that a lot of folks are upset with the feds, and for good reason.

amlevin

I'm pretty sure the U.S. Code said "Firearms or other dangerous weapons". Since when is O.C. Spray a dangerous weapon? They told my wife she had to go bring it back out to the car. She carries personal protection spray on her key chain and denied her entrance.

Interpretation of what consists of a "Dangerous Weapon" is left to the "Rent-a-Cop" at the door. Most don't realize that some ball point pens are far more lethal than OC spray.

Aaron1124

Interpretation of what consists of a "Dangerous Weapon" is left to the "Rent-a-Cop" at the door. Most don't realize that some ball point pens are far more lethal than OC spray.

I wonder if the law leaves it up to them. My wife didn't get the name of the contracting agency that the security officer worked for, but I am pretty sure O.C. Spray is not defined as a dangerous weapon. Everyone government building under state or local jurisdiction, here in Washington, has to allow it. Not sure about U.S. buildings, but it's pretty stupid if it's banned. I can't find any law specifically banning O.C. spray. Just "dangerous weapons" and "firearms".

amlevin

I wonder if the law leaves it up to them. My wife didn't get the name of the contracting agency that the security officer worked for, but I am pretty sure O.C. Spray is not defined as a dangerous weapon. Everyone government building under state or local jurisdiction, here in Washington, has to allow it. Not sure about U.S. buildings, but it's pretty stupid if it's banned. I can't find any law specifically banning O.C. spray. Just "dangerous weapons" and "firearms".

It's not a matter of law, necessarily, but a matter of "rule". The SS offices are federal "property" and as such exclude any weapon. While WA State specifically allows OC spray to be carried and prohibits any local laws from prohibiting it's carry, that is not so at the Federal level. OC spray IS considered a weapon in many states, Maryland for example.

Sometimes it is just best to keep things concealed. As for me, I find those Key Chain OC sprays to be just a little lacking. Miss with the first shot and there aren't a lot left. I carry a 3 oz. container in a pocket. Out of sight and not subject to a "Rent-a-Cop's" scrutiny.

This does bring up an interesting thought. Have you ever noticed that the government offices seem to be "fortifying" their offices? I guess that shows what they think of their "customers".

Last edited:

Aaron1124

Just found out the U.S. Definition of "Dangerous weapon", and pepper spray does not fall in the category.

"(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length. "

If anyone can cite a particular "rule" created by the Social Security office itself, that'd be great.. I'll look in to it in the meantime.

Aaron1124

So basically, considering pepper spray isn't preempted on a national level, government offices can create rules to restrict it from the premises, yet, can't make it unlawful? (Seeing how only the legislature can do such a thing).

Does that also mean Washington State owned and operated buildings and property can create rules to restrict firearm possession on their premises? For example, Department of Licensing, Washington State Parks and Ferry's, Department of Social and Health Services, etc?

sudden valley gunner

Does that also mean Washington State owned and operated buildings and property can create rules to restrict firearm possession on their premises? For example, Department of Licensing, Washington State Parks and Ferry's, Department of Social and Health Services, etc?

We have had some discussion on this, I don't believe they can, Washington state law is specific on were it is prohibited.
Preemption is only to say that other municipalities and localities cannot override state law, it does not in my opinion mean that the state is exempt from it's own law.

amlevin

Just found out the U.S. Definition of "Dangerous weapon", and pepper spray does not fall in the category.

"(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length. "

If anyone can cite a particular "rule" created by the Social Security office itself, that'd be great.. I'll look in to it in the meantime.

You are overlooking the security officer. If HE says you can't bring it in, that means either you don't or you have to find someone to overrule him. Good luck on that.

Aaron1124

You are overlooking the security officer. If HE says you can't bring it in, that means either you don't or you have to find someone to overrule him. Good luck on that.

Right, but by law, can he? If it's not restricted on a legal level, can they tell you not to bring it in? If there are no laws against it, isn't that the same as telling a person to leave their hair brush in the car?

amlevin

Right, but by law, can he? If it's not restricted on a legal level, can they tell you not to bring it in? If there are no laws against it, isn't that the same as telling a person to leave their hair brush in the car?

If you are standing there at the door and he says you can't bring something in, you have two choices. Don't, or go ahead and try to bring it in, telling him he has no authority under law to do so. Let us know how that works out for you.

If you think that the Social Security office is going against the law, you can file a complaint with them or take them to court. Since they are not subject to WA State "Preemption" you'll have to rely on the federal system for any relief.