• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed for OC.... at one place I'd never expect it

amlevin

An hourly employee for any company will never have the authority to sign a legally binding contract for that company. Therefore, an hourly employee cannot file a legal complaint for that company that could very possibly result in legal action against the company. (That encludes an "assisant manager" at some place like Wal-Mart and Home Depot)

Obviously, that forklift driver did not know hs place in the food chain of that store any better than he knew the law.

BTW: Thank Mike Lowry for .270

It's done all the time. When a shoplifting complaint is signed at a retail store you don't think they haul out a Vice President (an Officer of the corporation) do you?

The only difference between a Manager and an Hourly Employee is a matter of not having to pay the hourly employee overtime. There may be a company policy that requires the Manager to sign complaints but nothing in criminal or civil law.

As for a non "officer of the corporation" signing any binding agreement, I did it all the time. I signed numerous "binding contacts" for the Company I retired from. Averaged over 6 Million dollars per year of purchase contacts and agreements. I did so under a "signing authority agreement" in place at the Company. They authorized me these "powers" yet didn't want to make me a Vice President (which was OK because I made more than some of them on the Staff.

hermannr

As you also know, you could not have signed for the company without that special "permission slip", and you could only sign for what that "permission slip" was written in relation to. A purchasing agent cannot sign a check, even if he can legally bind the corporation to contract that will require that check. Correct?

Let's say you are a purchasing agent for company X, and you contract to purchase something small from me that costs less than $5000. I perform on that contract to my detriment, but your company will not issue a check because the purchase order was made outside of you authority, not dollar authority, but type of item. When I take you to small claims court, who has to answer to the judge?

It is the same thing with say a Wal-Mart...An hourly employee can call the cops because you are open carrying in the store, but he cannot sign the complaint. Even if he incorrectly does sign a complaint, it would be easily overruled....It is not his butt on the line with corporate, it is the store managers.

amlevin

As you also know, you could not have signed for the company without that special "permission slip", and you could only sign for what that "permission slip" was written in relation to. A purchasing agent cannot sign a check, even if he can legally bind the corporation to contract that will require that check. Correct?

What's funny about this is that all the checks our company wrote were signed by computer. All you needed was the password that activated the "Signature" function (and yes, I did).