• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do I get information about a stop where my rights were violated?

peterarthur

I cannot (should not?) go into all of the details yet (names mostly), but I need to know how to get a list of the officers present at a call where I was verbally threatened, handcuffed, disarmed and detained for 30 minutes for no other reason than open carry, which all 8-10 officers present (including a supervisor) insisted was illegal in KC and MO?

There is no arrest record, no incident paperwork, only a call log from the officer who called for backup after spotting me and approaching me. The substation clerk referred me to legal and would give me nothing. What is the process for getting a list of names of officers that responded? The one that threatened had his back to the light outside at night and I was unable to read his badge before he stormed off. The other remaining officers refused to give me his name, pretending they did not know who I was referring to.

KCPD, fyi.

jegoodin

http://www.nfoic.org/missouri-sample-foia-request

Google is your friend...

Why don't you start by asking for any 911 recordings related to the incident, any recording of LEO radio conversations, names and badge numbers of the 8-10 officers reponding, notes, reports, internal messaging communications between the officers in and around the time of the response, emails to and from the officers and any supervisors relating to the incident.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I would also call and make an appt with the Chief or Sheriff and let him know about the incident, let him know your filing a FIOA request and consulting a lawyer for harassment and false detainment. Give the Chief a chance to address the issue though training and investigating the incident but if nothing is done and this officer isn't repriamanded you will be filing a formal complaint and going to the media about the out of control cops.

GET A RECORDER OR TWO......

peterarthur

I would also call and make an appt with the Chief or Sheriff and let him know about the incident, let him know your filing a FIOA request and consulting a lawyer for harassment and false detainment. Give the Chief a chance to address the issue though training and investigating the incident but if nothing is done and this officer isn't repriamanded you will be filing a formal complaint and going to the media about the out of control cops.

Great advice, except the recorder was no help. The officer was ready to draw on me with his hand on his Glock and my hands were full, so I stood absolutely motionless, never would have had a chance to touch the recorder.

But I appreciate the detailed advice. Anyone else who thinks of particular things to ask for please let me know.
I will relate all of the details when appropriate.
Thanks!

Last edited:

peterarthur

http://www.nfoic.org/missouri-sample-foia-request

Google is your friend...

Why don't you start by asking for any 911 recordings related to the incident, any recording of LEO radio conversations, names and badge numbers of the 8-10 officers reponding, notes, reports, internal messaging communications between the officers in and around the time of the response, emails to and from the officers and any supervisors relating to the incident.

Lol... thanks, I Google all the time :) but I was looking more for all of the things I should mention. This is a good start. Can I keep submitting more FOIA's if I think of other things later? I just want to make sure I don't forget anything if there is a limit on requests.

jegoodin

Lol... thanks, I Google all the time :) but I was looking more for all of the things I should mention. This is a good start. Can I keep submitting more FOIA's if I think of other things later? I just want to make sure I don't forget anything if there is a limit on requests.

The response you get from the initial request may lead you to a more knowledgable request for more or different info and sources.

kcgunfan

You are only limited by your budget. I'm sorry this happened to you on several levels. Did you have your wife and 20 kids with you?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

twoskinsonemanns

Great advice, except the recorder was no help. The officer was ready to draw on me with his hand on his Glock and my hands were full, so I stood absolutely motionless, never would have had a chance to touch the recorder.

But I appreciate the detailed advice. Anyone else who thinks of particular things to ask for please let me know.
I will relate all of the details when appropriate.
Thanks!

I don't want to harp because everyone has their own opinion but when I carry I hit the record button when I leave the house and delete the recording (assuming no incident) when I get home.

peterarthur

You are only limited by your budget. I'm sorry this happened to you on several levels. Did you have your wife and 20 kids with you?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

lol... ok, it's only 9 :p But no, I was by myself, 1030pm on a Saturday night, midnight shift just started, and the coffee run was on at Quik Trip since protection money is now counted in ounces of domestic blend...

davidmcbeth

Banned

I would not make any appt. with the Chief ... the OP has one of two goals that I see as being worthwhile:
1) sue them
2) forget the incident

"give the chief a chance?" He had his chance when he hired them, trained them, and let them loose out into the public.

Talking to the Chief will be fruitless is my guess and just give them more to assail the OP with at trial...who knows what the chief will "remember" about his meeting.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Pete,

Almost any police force of any size at all have in car recorders that catch the audio of officers even when video is not available, request the videos from all cars responding to the address at the time as well.

peterarthur

Pete,

Almost any police force of any size at all have in car recorders that catch the audio of officers even when video is not available, request the videos from all cars responding to the address at the time as well.

THAT's what I need, so I can know exactly how he worded his threat of physical violence. Thanks!

Superlite27

I'd suggest requesting all communications, transmissions, dispatches, radio traffic, recordings, etc., etc., and so forth regarding the police response to your address, or If you have a "incident number" or some such, that would be good.

Just my 2 cents.

And for another 2 cents, I can tell you what a meeting with the chief will probably result in:

"Blah, blah, my officers have been reprimanded.......blah, blah, sure am sorry about this incident.......blah, blah, assure you that this type of behavior is unacceptable.......blah, blah........"

....until you leave his office all warm and fuzzy from such a productive and worthwhile verbal exchange.

Hope all those nifty words make you happy and serve as just compensation for the fiasco you endured. Because that's all you'll get. A bunch of nifty words the chief will probably chuckle about as soon as the door shuts behind your back. Heckuva great exchange rate. His officers can dance all over your civil rights, and he can buy disgruntled citizens off by compensating their loss of civil rights by uttering a few clichet phrases in their direction with a plastered on smile until the problem goes away.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Read your foia act .. the term "records" may be enough ...or you can list it like

records include, but are not exclusive to, the following:

And always ask for records that have been altered (written on, etc.) as being separate records for the purpose of your request ....

And in this case, I would do some arguing in respect to counter any possible exemptions (like a police investigation, etc) in the request ... they will not let your argue otherwise before an admin review of a denial.