• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro arms amigo

glock27OKC

I recieved one of these guns for christmas from my wife. She knew that I had been wanting a 1911 for some time and decided to spring for a good deal. Do any of you have any experience with Metro Arms? I had never heard of them until now and after further research they seem to be 50/50 on there guns. Some people love them and some hate them. It seems that most have had issues with the slide returning to battery when fired. Some are experiencing FTF and FTE at the same time. Then again some say they took theirs out of the box and it ran like a champ. Mine was doing the failure to return to battery after firing. I changed out the recoil spring and it seems to be fine now. My question is, If they have been experiencing these type of problems why hasnt there quality control stepped it up? Just wanted to see everyones opinion on these guns. Positive or negitive.45.jpg

Bullbuster

I can't say I ever heard of them before. I worked in an OKC area gun store for awhile and I will admit I saw lots of guns come in I hadn't heard of before (many forign). Odds are it is a snall company but even the small companies made good guns. Let us know what you think of it after you get some rounds down range with a variety of ammo in it.

glock27OKC

I can't say I ever heard of them before. I worked in an OKC area gun store for awhile and I will admit I saw lots of guns come in I hadn't heard of before (many forign). Odds are it is a snall company but even the small companies made good guns. Let us know what you think of it after you get some rounds down range with a variety of ammo in it.

Well I had to drop it off at my local smith for a while. when I was shopping around for another spring, the person that sold it to me( and installed it) put in the wrong recoil spring. So I removed it and it had some crazy marks on the barrel bushing. When I broke it down I noticed that the spring didnt just slide over the thing it had to be FORCED! Why would someone that works on firearms do something so stupid? Well thats a different issue that is being taken care of today. Anyway, since I had already had someone put the wrong spring in it I didnt want to send it back for warranty because it wasnt their fault. Anyway, So I will have it back in 2-4 weeks with a reliability pkg and night sights. I will post and let everyone know how it goes from there.

NOTE: I have owned a Kimber Ultra 2 and a Colt Defender and the fit on this Amigo is tighter than both of those. The gun is amazing. The finish is great and the grips feel like they where made for me. That all doesnt matter though if it wont shoot right.

hermannr

I recieved one of these guns for christmas from my wife. She knew that I had been wanting a 1911 for some time and decided to spring for a good deal. Do any of you have any experience with Metro Arms? I had never heard of them until now and after further research they seem to be 50/50 on there guns. Some people love them and some hate them. It seems that most have had issues with the slide returning to battery when fired. Some are experiencing FTF and FTE at the same time. Then again some say they took theirs out of the box and it ran like a champ. Mine was doing the failure to return to battery after firing. I changed out the recoil spring and it seems to be fine now. My question is, If they have been experiencing these type of problems why hasnt there quality control stepped it up? Just wanted to see everyones opinion on these guns. Positive or negitive.View attachment 9788

Synthetic lube on the xlide until it's broken in. Their tolerenced a bit tight.

KBCraig

I have't heard of the brand. Are they yet another Armscor frame that's rebranded? (Not that there's anything at all wrong with that, some of the most reliable 1911s come from PI.)

There are three typical causes for failure to RTB, and the recoil spring is one of them. The other two are lubrication, and limp-wristing (but you sound like an experienced 1911 guy, so it's probably not that).

I would clean it dry, cycle the action a lot to work out any rough spots, then properly lubricate and shoot a couple hundred rounds.

glock27OKC

I have't heard of the brand. Are they yet another Armscor frame that's rebranded? (Not that there's anything at all wrong with that, some of the most reliable 1911s come from PI.)

There are three typical causes for failure to RTB, and the recoil spring is one of them. The other two are lubrication, and limp-wristing (but you sound like an experienced 1911 guy, so it's probably not that).

I would clean it dry, cycle the action a lot to work out any rough spots, then properly lubricate and shoot a couple hundred rounds.

No not Armscor. They actually produce their own frames, slides, etc. The fit on frame and slide is as tight as you could get it without it locking up. It feels great. Not a single rattle or anything. The only complaint I have was the recoil spring. I have done a little more research on the Metro Arms company and found that they have really well made 1911s for a great price. Mine was only 590 with tax. Try to get a colt or kimber. 1000+... So for the price and quality it cant be beat but if I was making something that had the same issue over and over I would correct it on the manufacturing level so that it doesnt happen again. It seems that most of these have the recoil spring issue. I met a guy at the range and he was the first I had ever seen with the same gun. He said out of the box he had the same issue (failure to return to battery). He had the spring changed and has around 3500 rounds through it without a malfunction. He loves the gun so much that he said he has a spare at home that has never been carried. That way when the one he had gets "old", he can break out the new shinny one. lol. I cant wait to get it back from the smith. It should be top notch. And on the lubrication issue, I took it apart at the range and put a couple drops on both sides of the rails. Still had the failure. Spring was just so weak my four year old could compress it.