• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
OCed at suds car wash in ashburn, they seemvfriendly but definitely would consider it neutral

I have open carried there and you are correct the employees and owner seem neutral but I think that's just because they don't care but I take that as being gun friendly. If you are unfortunate enough to go there while they are busy then you need to deal with all the gawking and mouths agape looking as though they have never seen a gun before except on television.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The Kimchi House

I hit the range today with Riana and another woman who doesn't OC. Afterward, we went to Kimchi House on US1.

The little Korean ladies who apparently run the place didn't say a word, and the food was GOOD. I'll go back.

As we left, Riana passed a table of two men who got a little bug-eyed, even though her strong side was opposite them. Then my hip passed them nearly at eye level, and the looks on their faces was precious.

No comments, though I don't know how their conversation went after we left!

Last edited:

Riana

As we left, Riana passed a table of two men who got a little bug-eyed, even though her strong side was opposite them. Then my hip passed them nearly at eye level, and the looks on their faces was precious.

No comments, though I don't know how their conversation went after we left!

I expect they got an eyeful of Little Miss Springfield when I got up from the table. I wish I'd noticed them.

OC_va_gal

Had a good OC experience while running some errands today.

Best buy in Dulles - walked up to a group of employees because I couldn't find specific headphones for a birthday present. Glaces at the hip and nothing else they were very friendly.

Chipotle on triple 7 no one said anything or noticed

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Humorous little OC story:

I was recently leaving a grocery store where I regularly shop.

One of the cashiers who has rung up my order often enough to recognize me was working the front end, but not a register. The cashier stopped me on my way out to tell me something that had happened previously. The story went something like this:

The cashier was out front, perhaps rounding up grocery carts from the lot, when a customer in a car questioned breathlessly, "Did you see that guy!?!"

"Which guy?"

"That guy that just walked in! He, he, he had d d a gun!"

"Oh, him? He's a regular. Nothing to worry about."

:D

zoom6zoom

Ha! That reminds me of something that happened to me some time back at the grocery. Was doing some late night shopping, and when I got to the register, the girl said another customer had asked her, "What's that guy doing with a gun?"

She had simply answered, "shopping."

She told me she really wished she could carry at work as she hated having to walk out to her car after midnight.

Last edited:

OC_va_gal

Citizen and zoom6zoom those are fantastic stories! Feels good to know there are people out there that back up the right to OC and let other people know not be terrified when someone walks in with gun.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything here, so here goes. OCed at the Stafford county landfill this morning and then to Micky D's for a quick bite. Later, I went to F3 Tactical in Chantilly and picked up some ear pro and a 5.11 polo, then up to the Safety Shoe (?) store in Sterling where I bought a pair of Danners hiking boots. Lady there was real nice and asked if I know Ed Levine. Told her I knew of him, but didn't know him. Got a 15% VCDL discount on the boots by the way. Walked around the shopping center for a bit. Later had dinner at the Glory Days restaurant in the mall next door, nothing said. Food was okay. Am typing this now from the Starbucks in the same mall waiting for a guy to do an ammo deal off of ARFCOM.

All in all nothing negative and no one running and screaming away and a few rather positive encounters with like minded folks.

On my way to Islamabad where I won't be able to carry.

grylnsmn

I OC'ed last night at a county meeting discussing the possible revitalization of Seven Corners. No comments were made, and I didn't even see any funny looks.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Has anyone OCed at the Barnes and noble in Reston?

I'll add my late Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!

I have not carried at that specific location but I have carried at numerous other B&N locations in NOVA without incident. I think you are good to go!

Also since no one has said this yet, check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

Last edited:

OC_va_gal

That's awesome! Because I plan on doing some errands and wanted to stop at Barnes and noble for some books but I wasn't sure their stance or if anyone else had an issue. I'm glad that so far everyone is having a good experience and will be happy to spend my $$ at places that are gun friendly. Thanks guys for all your welcoming and advice to a new OCer.

I've actually just sent in an application and dues for a membership of vcdl and I'm excited to help!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's awesome! Because I plan on doing some errands and wanted to stop at Barnes and noble for some books but I wasn't sure their stance or if anyone else had an issue. I'm glad that so far everyone is having a good experience and will be happy to spend my $$ at places that are gun friendly. Thanks guys for all your welcoming and advice to a new OCer.

I've actually just sent in an application and dues for a membership of vcdl and I'm excited to help!

We have a picnic planned in Richmond for 6/3 - come see us. :D
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...cnic-Sunday-6-3-12-11AM-Pocahontas-State-Park

Riana

I OC'd all over today:
- lunch with a friend at Olive Garden in Falls Church
- Yesterday's Rose in Fairfax
- 7-11 near the old Herndon Police Station to buy my son and his friend Slurpees
- Target in Sterling
- Five Below in Sterling

No issues in any of those places.

Then I took my son (and his friend) to a birthday party at Rebounderz in Sterling. No one commented, though I did see a few employees notice my sidearm.

While we were driving home after the party, I mentioned to my son that no one had noticed. He told me that one of his friends (not the one who rode with us), had indeed noticed, and they had a conversation.

Friend: "Why does your mom have a gun?"
My son: "She's an NRA instructor. I wasn't kidding when I told you that." (I guess I've been a topic of conversation :rolleyes:)
Friend: "But still..."
My son: "Well, why DOESN'T your mom carry one?"
Friend: "Well... uh..."

I didn't get the rest of the conversation - I'll have to ask him when he's not so worn out.

And yes, he does know that the real answer for the first question is "For self-defense" or something similar - he was just exhausted. I admit, though, I like his return question. :cool: