• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wispolitics article r/t concealed carry and Milwaukee County

skorittnig

My email to the Milwaukee Public Information Manager in response to his spewing of irrational lefty propaganda on wispolitics.com

Mr. Mester,

I am writing you with the hope that you have a rational explanation regarding the comments below:

“I am particularly concerned that concealed weapons would be allowed onboard Milwaukee County Transit System buses; in the main terminal of General Mitchell International Airport; and in our parks, zoo, museums and mental health complex. These are all places where families expect to be safe.

“If the bill becomes law, Milwaukee County would be forced to install additional magnetometers at all public entrances, at a cost of $8,000 each, as well as provide storage lockers. Considering the hundreds of properties owned by the County, containing thousands of public entrances, the cost to taxpayers could reach millions of dollars.”

First--why would the residents of Milwaukee be in any more danger than they already are if citizens are lawfully carrying a firearm? Are the citizens not currently at risk from a non-lawful citizen deciding to carry a firearm for unlawful purposes? Building on that- wouldn't this resident of Milwaukee be safer while in the company of citizens lawfully carrying firearms?

Second-why does the county have to purchase magnetometers for entrances to public properties? Do they not have them already? Why would lawful citizens pose any more threat after the signing of a concealed carry bill, than before? Are you sure you don't want to keep the unlawful individuals out? If you are so concerned about keeping these criminals unarmed, why don't you currently have magnetometers?

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

XXXXXX
Neenah, WI.

Here is the article with full text:

Milwaukee Co. Supervisor Biddle: Supervisors adopt resolution opposing concealed carry
5/26/2011

414/278-4051 or harold.mester@milwcnty.com

County Board approves first resolution authored by Supervisor Eyon Biddle, Sr.

Milwaukee, WI – A resolution authored by Milwaukee County Supervisor Eyon Biddle, Sr., opposing concealed carry legislation was adopted by the full County Board this morning. Supervisor Biddle released the following statement after the vote was taken:

“I’m pleased that the County Board has approved this resolution. I hope the Legislature hears our voices and stops this bill in its tracks. Allowing people to carry a concealed weapon is bad enough; it’s even worse that they’re considering a bill that doesn’t even require a permit or training.

“Guns are dangerous weapons used to kill people in Milwaukee. I can’t make it any more clear than that. Just this week, someone was shot and killed in a pizza shop in Milwaukee’s East Side. Allowing concealed carry would only lead to more cases like this one.

“State leaders continue to toy around with this very serious issue. They are unwilling to come up with commonsense solutions that not only protect rights but ensure public safety. I don’t understand how increasing guns – with no accountability or oversight – somehow makes us safer.

“I am particularly concerned that concealed weapons would be allowed onboard Milwaukee County Transit System buses; in the main terminal of General Mitchell International Airport; and in our parks, zoo, museums and mental health complex. These are all places where families expect to be safe.

“If the bill becomes law, Milwaukee County would be forced to install additional magnetometers at all public entrances, at a cost of $8,000 each, as well as provide storage lockers. Considering the hundreds of properties owned by the County, containing thousands of public entrances, the cost to taxpayers could reach millions of dollars.”

MKEgal

I emailed my elected rep on that board & got a copy of the resolution.
According to Harris's assistant:
the resolution was voted on 14-3 with Supervisors Rice, Sanfelippo, and Mayo voted against the resolution. Supervisor Broderick was excused for this meeting. The remaining Supervisors including Supervisor Harris voted in favor of the resolution.

Now to email her directly & try to educate her a bit.
Maybe get to address the board next month.
If I'd known this piece of tripe was going to be concocted, let alone voted on, I would have been at the meeting last week.

Attachments

• MKE county Concealed Carry resolution.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 129

MKEgal

skorittnig said:
Not a psychiatrist, just wondering if he really believes the trash that spews from his mouth.
The person you addressed your email to, the address given above, isn't the person quoted in the article.
Mr. Mester is the public information manager.
Mr. Biddle was quoted in the article. He's one of the elected supervisors.

AaronS

My email to the Milwaukee Public Information Manager in response to his spewing of irrational lefty propaganda on wispolitics.com

Mr. Mester,

I am writing you with the hope that you have a rational explanation regarding the comments below:

First--why would the residents of Milwaukee be in any more danger than they already are if citizens are lawfully carrying a firearm? Are the citizens not currently at risk from a non-lawful citizen deciding to carry a firearm for unlawful purposes? Building on that- wouldn't this resident of Milwaukee be safer while in the company of citizens lawfully carrying firearms?

Second-why does the county have to purchase magnetometers for entrances to public properties? Do they not have them already? Why would lawful citizens pose any more threat after the signing of a concealed carry bill, than before? Are you sure you don't want to keep the unlawful individuals out? If you are so concerned about keeping these criminals unarmed, why don't you currently have magnetometers?

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

XXXXXX
Neenah, WI.

Here is the article with full text:

Milwaukee Co. Supervisor Biddle: Supervisors adopt resolution opposing concealed carry
5/26/2011

414/278-4051 or harold.mester@milwcnty.com

County Board approves first resolution authored by Supervisor Eyon Biddle, Sr.

Milwaukee, WI – A resolution authored by Milwaukee County Supervisor Eyon Biddle, Sr., opposing concealed carry legislation was adopted by the full County Board this morning. Supervisor Biddle released the following statement after the vote was taken:

“I’m pleased that the County Board has approved this resolution. I hope the Legislature hears our voices and stops this bill in its tracks. Allowing people to carry a concealed weapon is bad enough; it’s even worse that they’re considering a bill that doesn’t even require a permit or training.

“Guns are dangerous weapons used to kill people in Milwaukee. I can’t make it any more clear than that. Just this week, someone was shot and killed in a pizza shop in Milwaukee’s East Side. Allowing concealed carry would only lead to more cases like this one.

“State leaders continue to toy around with this very serious issue. They are unwilling to come up with commonsense solutions that not only protect rights but ensure public safety. I don’t understand how increasing guns – with no accountability or oversight – somehow makes us safer.

I feel that the elected officials in the City of Milwaukee are so ignorant, that my voice has no ear to fall on. I can only hope that your voice helps.

Thanks

1FASTC4

you are so concerned about keeping these criminals unarmed, why don't you currently have magnetometers?

I really like that line. Be careful though, lefties can stroke out when forced to view logic.

Last edited: