• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes, Hackers do GOOD things...

sudden valley gunner

The last time I read about a roadside sign being "hacked" all the person did was walk up to it, put in the factory default password (the one they tell you to change) and they made it say "zombies ahead." Prior to the change it simply said traffic ahead. So people should quit flipping out and should look at the bigger picture. If caught should the person be punished? Yes, but the punishment should fit the crime and if no one was hurt, it wasn't a vital sign, and it wasn't properly secured then it shouldn't be a huge deal (id be more concerned with the sign not properly secured because that means other signs are likely not properly secured and terrorists could potentially use that to change vital signs and sow fear and terror).

I would go one further and insist that both actus reus and mens rea need to be present along with a "victim". If none of the above was found no crime was committed. No punishment.

Now if someone was hurt/damaged because of his actions (I don't see how since people smart enough to drive should be able to discern what was going on), then he should have to pay restitution for that not to the state but to the "victim".

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Now if someone was hurt/damaged because of his actions (I don't see how since people smart enough to drive should be able to discern what was going on), then he should have to pay restitution for that not to the state but to the "victim".

I disagree. Regardless of whether you're flying or driving, "see and avoid" apply, and confer upon each and every driver the responsibility to drive only as fast and in such manner as driving conditions allow. Road construction is as much a driving condition as snow or fog.

I've spent much of my driving time over the last two years shuttling between the Woodman and N. Academy exits of I-25 here in Colorado Springs. Both exits sport a dedicated lane for folks exiting I-25 and turning right. One of them, however, has a yield sign while the other one does not.

Despite this, many ignorant, stupid, and dangerous drivers STOP at either exit, even in the absence of impinging traffic. They're as much a driving condition as is an errant or hacked electronic road sign.

See and avoid...

sudden valley gunner

I disagree. Regardless of whether you're flying or driving, "see and avoid" apply, and confer upon each and every driver the responsibility to drive only as fast and in such manner as driving conditions allow. Road construction is as much a driving condition as snow or fog.

I've spent much of my driving time over the last two years shuttling between the Woodman and N. Academy exits of I-25 here in Colorado Springs. Both exits sport a dedicated lane for folks exiting I-25 and turning right. One of them, however, has a yield sign while the other one does not.

Despite this, many ignorant, stupid, and dangerous drivers STOP at either exit, even in the absence of impinging traffic. They're as much a driving condition as is an errant or hacked electronic road sign.

See and avoid...

I don't see anything contrary to what I said, it goes upon personal responsibility. I admittedly might be missing something though. I am saying if you get hurt because of your own "unawareness" it is your problem and not anyone else's.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
How about picking your door locks and rearrainging your living room furniture?

It violates a barrier, it's a crime. You don't commit crimes for "lulz", whatever that is.

You're comparing a street sign to the living quarters of a human? o_O What a great comparison... :rolleyes:

okboomer

While I agree with the sentiment, I ABHOR the method. It could cause a serious traffic problem, up to and including some one getting killed. The hacker deserves at least 5 years in the pen, if no one gets hurt. A lot more if someone got hurt.:cuss:

Sorry, I disagree completely! It looks like it was a harmless prank and there was no report (which I would bet there would have been) that the prank in any way interferred with the acutal safety messages the sign was to display.

Lighten up a little ... it probably gave quite a few drivers a good belly laugh :monkey

OldCurlyWolf

Sorry, I disagree completely! It looks like it was a harmless prank and there was no report (which I would bet there would have been) that the prank in any way interferred with the acutal safety messages the sign was to display.

Lighten up a little ... it probably gave quite a few drivers a good belly laugh :monkey

There is no report that it did NOT interfere with the proper use of the sign either. Either way, it should not have been done and at the least the hacker needs to be taken behind the barn and have severe pressure applied in the proper place.

What that IDIOT did is DANGEROUS to others. So NO I will NOT LIGHTEN UP!!!!
:cuss::mad: