• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Wikipedia - the open carry photo

since9

Campaign Veteran
OK, here is certainly "Open Carry", utilizing an "inside the".....the....hmm. What level of firearm retention is that?
http://www.resistnwo.com/Glock_Open_Carry.JPG :uhoh:

Thongalier, Level 1 retention.

Has anyone changed the photo, yet? Was it changed back?

Post a good photo and properly convey the public domain rights (see Wikipedia for the form), and I'll throw it up there myself. I think it'd be better if we could throw up two OC photos, one of a man, one of a woman, both in normal, everyday public situations.

Jack House

I think it'd be better if we could throw up two OC photos, one of a man, one of a woman, both in normal, everyday public situations.
Why don't we just get a whole photo shoot? You know, photos of men, photos of women, photos of black people and hispanics, photos of indians, photos of Muslims.... oh wait scratch that, all Muslims are terrorists I forgot. :rolleyes:

The point is, while it might not be the best photo ever, it's not a bad photo either. If you want a new photo, then by all means change it. But what is being done here is attempting to put a political spin on something that should be politically neutral. It's no better than the antis putting up photos meant to disparage the OC movement.

I have no problem with publicity shoots, just keep them where they belong. Wikipedia is definitely not where they belong.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Why don't we just get a whole photo shoot?

That's actually not a bad idea, and there's a bunch of pics on this website that would quality.

There are two hurdles to prevent copyright infringement.

1. Obtaining permission of the admins (a release into the public domain would be nice).

2. Obtaining releases from the people pictured herein.

The point is, while it might not be the best photo ever, it's not a bad photo either.

It's not that it's bad. It's that there are many which are better.

If you want a new photo, then by all means change it.

Working on it... Anyone want to volunteer a photo? If so, post it here and PM me a full release so I can go post it.

But what is being done here is attempting to put a political spin on something that should be politically neutral.

Depends on who put up that photo, and why.

It's no better than the antis putting up photos meant to disparage the OC movement.

I'd argue it's quite different. There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting your best, provided one remains truthful, avoids slaughtering statistics, and propagating lies. I've yet to see antis do much to remain truthful.

I have no problem with publicity shoots, just keep them where they belong. Wikipedia is definitely not where they belong.

This would be true only if the individuals didn't want to be pictured there. If they don't mind showing their faces on Wikipedia, as evidenced by a release, then your statement has no merit, and I would ask that you not make such blanket statements on behalf of others without checking with them, first.

If you're simply speaking for yourself, then a simple "I wouldn't want my picture taken from OCDO and plastered on Wikipedia" will do. That's fine, and I don't think anyone here is suggesting this. I certainly am not.

In the meantime, I'm trying to encourage anyone who wishes to come forth with a better picture. If they do, then great. If they don't, that's fine, too. But let's not discourage them without giving them a chance to make the decision for themselves.

Jack House

You have geared a sideman with that last point. I'm not talking about people not wanting their photos on Wikipedia. I'm saying that Wikipedia isn't a political ad for OCDO.

The reason for people wanting to change the photo is because they feel that it's not the most positive image of OC ever and so they want another photo that will give a positive slant to OC. That is politically motivated. I'm fairly sure it's a breech of the TOS as well.

Attempting to use Wikipedia for political gain by editing articles to suit your needs is wrong. And again, it is no different than the anti that added the bad photos (not to be confused with the current photo).

Posted using my HTC Evo

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I cringe when I see piece of crap one size fits all nylon holsters

I cringe as well. For some reason I think it looks, "unprofessional." Perhaps that is all he could afford after purchasing an expensive handgun, but it doesn't change how I see it.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I think this site's front page needs some updating, the gallery needs to be deleted(NOT the photos, just the CODE) and redone. The code they use now is crap. There are a lot of freeware galleries out there that they could use and it definitely needs more photos. The gallery has been a peeve of mine for a long, long time. Why not appoint someone in charge of it and have the members send in photos to be placed in the gallery? The reason I suggest having someone in charge, rather then a simple upload system is to prevent antis and trolls from uploading inappropriate photos.

The other annoyance I have is that the press center hasn't been updated since 08, makes it feel as if the group is dead in the water or something.

I am a software developer and I offered my services free of charge a couple months back. The interest seemed minimal. :(

since9

Campaign Veteran
You have geared a sideman with that last point.

I'm not familiar with the vernacular. If I had to guess, you're no longer on board.

I'm saying that Wikipedia isn't a political ad for OCDO.

Nor should it be. The Open Carry entry, however, should better represent Open Carry.

The reason for people wanting to change the photo is because they feel that it's not the most positive image of OC ever and so they want another photo that will give a positive slant to OC. That is politically motivated. I'm fairly sure it's a breech of the TOS as well.

Not in the least. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics. My concern is that the current picture is NOT representative of Open Carry. The vast majority of people I've witnessed OC were well dressed. The man in the photo is NOT well dressed. Finding a photo to accurately represent the statistical norm of OC not only is not a breech of the terms of service, it's entirely consistent with them, as well as the goals and stated intent of Wikipedia.

Attempting to use Wikipedia for political gain...

Since that's not the case, as explained in the immediately preceding paragraph, this conversation is over. I won't continue defending a point against an argument predicated upon falsehood.

Excellent choices, oldbanger! Any way to obtain their releases? Or are these photos already clearly in the public domain? Initial examination indicates they're owned by the news agencies. However, these are the kinds of photos we're seeking. They MUST meet Wikipedia's upload criteria, however. See Licensing. Without that, it's a no-go.