• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Open Carrier Bellingham

Fungal Warrior

I am brand new to open carry. Just picked up a Kel Tec PM9 today and a paddle holster. Unsure of what the reaction was going to be, I proceeded with my day. Costco...no problem. Chase Bank...no problem. Walmart? Nary a word. Haggen Supermarket? Nada. As I suspected, most people never really noticed and those that did glance down said nothing. Parked next to a Police Parking Enforcement officer at the bank and politely informed her I was open carrying and was going to be holstering my weapon so she was aware (haven't received my CPL yet on the mail). She thanked me and went on talking with the person she was talking with. Already forgot I had it on once...advantage to having something smaller I guess. All in all, absolutely no drama, eyes bugging out or finger wagging. Hopefully it will stay that way. :cool:

skiingislife725

I am brand new to open carry. Just picked up a Kel Tec PM9 today and a paddle holster. Unsure of what the reaction was going to be, I proceeded with my day. :cool:

Welcome Fungal! I was a 'Hamster until this past fall...although I still make it up there on occasion (down in Lake Stevens now). Glad to see another OCer in the 'Ham.

I do want to ask ya one thing though, have you shot your firearm yet? You didn't specify and it makes it sound like you're carrying around a weapon that might not even work...just want you to be safe out there (and obviously a gun that shoots most of the time, but not all the time is still better than no gun).

Last edited:

Fungal Warrior

Welcome Fungal! I was a 'Hamster until this past fall...although I still make it up there on occasion (down in Lake Stevens now). Glad to see another OCer in the 'Ham.

I do want to ask ya one thing though, have you shot your firearm yet? You didn't specify and it makes it sound like you're carrying around a weapon that might not even work...just want you to be safe out there (and obviously a gun that shoots most of the time, but not all the time is still better than no gun).

Thanks for the welcome. No...I haven't shot the gun yet. Plantation is closed and I simply had no hours in the day to get up to Custer. It is Illegal to shoot around Lake Whatcom (I live in Geneva). We are going to Plantation on Saturday...taking my 9 Y/O daughter to the youth rifle class and I'll shoot it then. It isn't ideal...but better than nothing the way I figure it. Besides...open carrying my home defense Mossberg 500 Shotgun definitely WOULD stir up the hornets nest! :eek:

Last edited:

FMCDH

Thanks for the welcome. No...I haven't shot the gun yet. Plantation is closed and I simply had no hours in the day to get up to Custer. It is Illegal to shoot around Lake Whatcom (I live in Geneva). We are going to Plantation on Saturday...taking my 9 Y/O daughter to the youth rifle class and I'll shoot it then. It isn't ideal...but better than nothing the way I figure it. Besides...open carrying my home defense Mossberg 500 Shotgun definitely WOULD stir up the hornets nest! :eek:

Welcome,

Were you aware you have a shooting pit up your way?

I believe its called North Fork Pit.

48.895317,-122.108268

Take hwy9 to the north end of Mosquito lake rd. Can only turn right. 1mile to North Fork rd. Can only go left. Follow road which becomes gravel. About three miles on gravel there a very large and noticable Y in the road. Continue straight which is the left fork of the Y. 1/2 mile on the left turn in to pit. You'll know your there cause there's shell casings everywhere.

sudden valley gunner

They do have no shooting signs all around the lake but if you hike up in the hills outside of city limits and away from residents just a bit you are fine, I double checked this with the Sheriff and have found that to be a "no shooting" zone they have to meet certain criteria otherwise it's preempted.. I live in Sudden Valley and hike above my house.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hello Fungal, welcome. Let me invite you to the Whatcom County OC choir practice. We meet Sunday mornings at 1000. Bakerview road Starbucks.

All the usual places, no worries. Inlaws in town last night so we had dinner at Applebys, no worries. I did have a guy comment about my weapon while I was using the atm at my bank (peoples). He said he wanted to carry but the pawnshop would not sell him a weapon. I told him that was a shame and slowly walked away.

Fungal Warrior

Hello Fungal, welcome. Let me invite you to the Whatcom County OC choir practice. We meet Sunday mornings at 1000. Bakerview road Starbucks.

All the usual places, no worries. Inlaws in town last night so we had dinner at Applebys, no worries. I did have a guy comment about my weapon while I was using the atm at my bank (peoples). He said he wanted to carry but the pawnshop would not sell him a weapon. I told him that was a shame and slowly walked away.

Thanks for the invite. Today at 10:00, I was at Plantation Rifle Range shooting the PM-9. Shot a box of 50 followed by some of my carry ammo. Damn thing is so small and light it kicks like crazy and after 70 rounds or so, my hand started to hurt, particularly with the more potent carry ammo. My daughter was there with me shooting her Cricket....we were there on Saturday for the youth Rifle Class too.

As for the Meet Up, maybe next weekend...though when your 9 year old daughter says "Daddy, can we go to the shooting range every Sunday?" kinda hard to turn that down. :D

Oh..and Costco, Hilltop Restaurant, The Market at Lakeway, LaFeens and DaVincis, WECU and Hardware Sales...nary a word.

skiingislife725

Thanks for the invite. Today at 10:00, I was at Plantation Rifle Range shooting the PM-9. Shot a box of 50 followed by some of my carry ammo. Damn thing is so small and light it kicks like crazy and after 70 rounds or so, my hand started to hurt, particularly with the more potent carry ammo. My daughter was there with me shooting her Cricket....we were there on Saturday for the youth Rifle Class too.

As for the Meet Up, maybe next weekend...though when your 9 year old daughter says "Daddy, can we go to the shooting range every Sunday?" kinda hard to turn that down. :D

Oh..and Costco, Hilltop Restaurant, The Market at Lakeway, LaFeens and DaVincis, WECU and Hardware Sales...nary a word.

Yah not a big fan of the snap on the PM-9...or the long trigger reset (vs. a Glock, for example), but it sure is small and it does get points for that. And it looks like you've got a new Sunday routine! Sounds good to me! Smart daughter.