• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dad lives part time in Myrtle Beach

Tucker6900

I was talking to my dad the other day, and we got to talking about a recent encounter I had with police. After telling him that I did not produce ID to the officer, he said the SC law requires identification if requested? I have done a little research and found very little supporting this. Can someone local answer this for me? Thanks!

tcox4freedom

If you are CCing and an officer asks you for id, you are required by law to inform AND present your id & Cwp to him. If you are not CCing, there is no requirement to show your cwp.

-

Tucker6900

I appreciate the replies. My father does not carry a gun. I was asking the question in a general sense.....Is it required to provide id to an officer if asked? Without a gun, and no crime committed. I think you answered it!

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
On the subject of carrying a handgun... as usual, an officer must have reasonable articulable suspicion to detain you. Though, remember that carrying a handgun in public, openly or concealed, is generally a crime in SC. LEOs can detain you if they have RAS that you're carrying a handgun in a place or manner that is not exempted by law.

SC has no "stop and identify" statute, so you have no legal requirement to identify yourself with phsycial ID or vocally if an officer detains you with RAS. From my research, you may detained for as long as it takes the officers to be able to identify you, though.

In a state that has a "stop and identify" statute (which SC doesn't haev), it is generally a crime to not identify yourself if an officer detains you and asks for your identity. The officer must have had RAS to detain you, though, in the first place.

Even though, SC is not a "stop and identify state", there are a few SC laws that make it a crime if you do not produce physical identification while performing a licensed activity. These activities include carrying a concealed handgun, driving an automobile on public roads, etc.

I am not a lawyer and this is the internet...

Last edited:

tcox4freedom

On the subject of carrying a handgun... as usual, an officer must have reasonable articulable suspicion to detain you. Though, remember that carrying a handgun in public, openly or concealed, is generally a crime in SC. LEOs can detain you if they have RAS that you're carrying a handgun in a place or manner that is not exempted by law.

SC has no "stop and identify" statute, so you have no legal requirement to identify yourself with phsycial ID or vocally if an officer detains you with RAS. From my research, you may detained for as long as it takes the officers to be able to identify you, though.

In a state that has a "stop and identify" statute (which SC doesn't haev), it is generally a crime to not identify yourself if an officer detains you and asks for your identity. The officer must have had RAS to detain you, though, in the first place.

Even though, SC is not a "stop and identify state", there are a few SC laws that make it a crime if you do not produce physical identification while performing a licensed activity. These activities include carrying a concealed handgun, driving an automobile on public roads, etc.

Plus 1+

Tucker6900

That's what I am coming to find. He was telling me that people down there get arrested for vagrancy if they don't have ID and money. I thought it sounded like bs.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

tcox4freedom

That's what I am coming to find. He was telling me that people down there get arrested for vagrancy if they don't have ID and money. I thought it sounded like bs.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Not exactly bs.
You need to check with local laws. The beach may have some anti-vagrancy laws as your dad says.