• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crash's Senate announcement article

j4l

First article on Crash's run for Florida Senate

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/st...john-strifler-running-senate-seat-first-coast

Open Carry Advocate John Strifler Running for Senate Seat on First Coast
NPA candidate jumps in the race for Tony Hill's seat
By: Kevin Derby | Posted: June 8, 2011 3:55 AM
Tags: Ander Crenshaw, Audrey Gibson, Brian Michael Lieberman, Chris Dorworth, FRS, guns, John Strifler, News, Open Carry, Rick Scott, Terry Fields, Tony Hill, Troy Stanley, Politics
While most eyes will be on what is shaping up to be an interesting battle between two veterans of the Florida House -- Terry Fields and Audrey Gibson -- for the Democratic nomination to replace term-limited state Sen. Tony Hill, D-Jacksonville, a third candidate has emerged in the race vowing to fight for open carry laws and to enforce immigration laws while opposing pension reform for state employees.

John Strifler, a Jacksonville resident who has worked for the state government, filed to enter the race last month. Upset with Republicans and Democrats alike, Strifler is running with no party affiliation for the seat which currently includes parts of Duval, Flagler, Putnam, St. Johns and Volusia counties. With the Legislature starting the redistricting process at the beginning of 2012, the geographic boundaries of the seat could be changed.

"I am a common man of the people, for the people,” said Strifler on Tuesday. As such, I hope to work hard for the actual residents of the district, rather than those of limited-focus lobbying groups and special interests, who sometimes work against the best interests and the rights of the citizens."

Strifler is up in arms about the Legislature’s failure to pass SB 234, a measure which would have restored open carry rights in Florida. While more than 40 other states currently have open carry laws, attempts in Florida to push the open carry law fizzled during the 2011 session.

At the start of the session, with Gov. Rick Scott supporting them and with Republicans controlling overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature, Second Amendment advocates had been very optimistic about restoring open carry rights to Florida. However, the final legislation that emerged at the end of the session only concerned decriminalizing accidental concealed weapon exposures -- a measure that even its House sponsor, Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Heathrow, said was “watered down” from the original version.

Besides pushing for open carry laws, Strifler may appeal to conservatives on a number of issues. He backs “comprehensive immigration reform” including “more effective enforcement of existing immigration laws.” Strifler also maintains that the government needs to ease restrictions that hurt small businesses across the Sunshine State. He is also “pro-adoption” and in the process, with his wife of a decade, of adopting a child.

But Strifler also holds a number of positions which would set him at odds with the Republican legislative majorities in Tallahassee. Strifler took aim at the increased privatization of the state prison system, arguing that it will lead to higher unemployment. He believes the state should rely more on alternative energy as opposed to offshore drilling.

Strifler also expressed concerns with the reforms being backed by Scott and Republicans in the Legislature of the Florida Retirement System (FRS). According to his campaign, Strifler will “fight to restore the FRS system for state employees and for those who have relied on this system for their retirement.”

As he plans to launch a petition drive to gain access to the ballot, Strifler vowed to fight for “direct and open interaction with the voters” through the use of technology and new media, including social media and Internet forums.

Strifler is not the only candidate in recent weeks to emerge on the First Coast running in 2012 without party affiliation. Brian Michael Lieberman filed to run against veteran Republican U.S. Rep. Ander Crenshaw, who held off a challenge from conservative businessman and Navy veteran Troy Stanley, who was running with no party affiliation, back in 2010.

77zach

I didn't know Hill was leaving. I assume the Democrat is a gun hater. Does anyone know about the crash's republican opponent?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
When government gets too big and expensive, well, duh, firing a bunch of government employees and cutting their benefits is the only way to shrink it. How does government get smaller if nobody gets fired? how does it get more affordable if all these extravagant benefits I'm paying for don't get cut? Where are my benefits while paying for theirs?

77zach

When government gets too big and expensive, well, duh, firing a bunch of government employees and cutting their benefits is the only way to shrink it. How does government get smaller if nobody gets fired? how does it get more affordable if all these extravagant benefits I'm paying for don't get cut? Where are my benefits while paying for theirs?

lol. I'm always amused when the news acts like we're supposed to shriek in terror when governments threaten to downsize themselves. The little "town" of belleview, Fl is swarming with LEOs in dodge charges who let their cars idle for hours while they're in the gym. What ever would we do without them.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
lol. I'm always amused when the news acts like we're supposed to shriek in terror when governments threaten to downsize themselves. The little "town" of belleview, Fl is swarming with LEOs in dodge charges who let their cars idle for hours while they're in the gym. What ever would we do without them.

It's the same all across the State. Bloated agencies wasting resources. LEAs in particular, making us all 'safer' by lobbying against common-sense and arresting people for suggesting that the Constitution was a good idea...

j4l

I didn't know Hill was leaving. I assume the Democrat is a gun hater. Does anyone know about the crash's republican opponent?

Thus far, there isnt one. Works fine for us. ;)

j4l

"How does government get smaller if nobody gets fired? "

Quiet easily,actually.There's a number of areas where some funds can be saved that those folks havent even bothered to think of yet..we have.:lol: Much,much more on those proposed sollutions in good time..
Including one from waaay outside the box, that I think a lot of folks will like. Once we hammer-out the details on it, and make sure it's even legal to suggest it, we'll be promoting the concept rather heavily.

Does he have all the answers? No, of course not.But there's some great ideas for alternative ways of doing some things that might actually work. And some of those ideas dont exactly fall into some tidy little box labled with a D or an R-whvsich is one reason for running NPA as opposed to this or that established party.

All in good time though.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Read the article this morning crash. Mostly masterful. Differentiating is now key. Give everybody access to your site and let the universe chime in.

Accessibility is a tantamount concern. Put that Facebook name, email, and even number on your forum and let yourself be contacted. Stay open to every contact, answer emails instead of ignoring them, and return calls yourself daily.

New idea? New press release. Extended idea? YouTube yourself expressing it. Props, PowerPoints, graphics & charts comparing adversaries to you. Follow the openness agenda that we've described, and you'll be unbeatable. Work on staying informed every day.

Just my $.02

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"How does government get smaller if nobody gets fired? "

Quiet easily,actually.There's a number of areas where some funds can be saved that those folks havent even bothered to think of yet..we have.:lol: Much,much more on those proposed sollutions in good time..
Including one from waaay outside the box, that I think a lot of folks will like. Once we hammer-out the details on it, and make sure it's even legal to suggest it, we'll be promoting the concept rather heavily.

Does he have all the answers? No, of course not.But there's some great ideas for alternative ways of doing some things that might actually work. And some of those ideas dont exactly fall into some tidy little box labled with a D or an R-whvsich is one reason for running NPA as opposed to this or that established party.

All in good time though.

Anything short of firing them all and leaving all public buildings empty, is a bad idea in my book. :p I know that the weak will always team up to ensure my Anarchic Utopia never exists... :'-(

But seriously. Fire a bunch of them. The less able the government is to inflict itself on us, the better. The fewer employees, the fewer eyeballs and pawns. You couldn't make enough of them homeless to please me...

j4l

Anything short of firing them all and leaving all public buildings empty, is a bad idea in my book. :p I know that the weak will always team up to ensure my Anarchic Utopia never exists... :'-(

But seriously. Fire a bunch of them. The less able the government is to inflict itself on us, the better. The fewer employees, the fewer eyeballs and pawns. You couldn't make enough of them homeless to please me...

Demotivator-REALITY.jpg