• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A liberal behavior that I find extremely annoying

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Discussing the two particular examples that I chose, on their own merits, is fine, but they are really beside the point.

Why do you think that liberals confuse descriptive and prescriptive statements and demonize people for their sincerely-held descriptive conclusions? Do you agree or disagree that science should be free of such bullying?

Look at it this way:

Let's say we all agree with your premise that people with black and brown skin are, on the average, stupider (let's cut to the chase, shall we?). What then? What possible use does this information provide us? What possible benefit may we obtain from this? Especially since, as you say, they have equal rights regardless.

What's the point, if it isn't just about proving whites are better after all? Perhaps it's just trivia?

That's why folks are hostile to threads like this. Any data used to bolster your argument cannot, by definition, be "scientific", for the reasons I mentioned. It's pseudo-scientific closet racism, frankly. You're desperately seeking imaginary data to fit a preformed conclusion, one which has no real-world application except to advance notions that white people are smarter, and they probably smell better, too.

I see that you, like the liberals mentioned in the OP, seem to think (your comment makes no sense in any other context, as I never denied that you can have temperate morons and tropical geniuses) that different medians somehow means that the two distributions can have no overlap, which is absurd.

Group A can have a higher median than Group B, and yet the highest in B can be way higher than the lowest in A.

This might be a valid rebuttal was what I said anything other than anecdotal, and therefore of as much merit as, for instance, IQ testing. I offer it to reveal my perspective, not to prove a point. Surely someone so versed in the rigors of the scientific method should be able to see that at a glance. :rolleyes:

I reject the premise that there is any different median intelligence attributable to race or region of origin. I have seen absolutely nothing in all my travels and the life I've lived to support that thesis.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The problem with marshaul's post is that it displays the precise behavior that I complain about in the OP. While he at least goes beyond this by doing a little arguing against the two conclusions on their merits, that is still outside the scope of this thread, as the two examples were meant to merely illustrate the larger phenomenon.

I don't believe this for a minute.

If this is true, then why did you pick the examples you did?

Do you have any idea how many times I've heard the precise argument, "why are liberals so anti-scientific? when you try to point out that black and brown people are smelly and stupid, they call you a racist! Those bullies!"

I have never, ever, encountered a person who makes this argument who does it for any purpose other than to justify pre-existing racism.

Which is fine. You said at the onset you wouldn't deprive anybody of rights based on your conclusion, so I really don't care if you're racist – although I might make fun of you for it in the future.

But if you're really just using that example as a point not about people from warm regions, but about the political left, you chose a particularly terrible one, as you picked one without any scientific merit whatsoever, and presented it as fact expecting us all to agree.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn about the point you're trying to make, as it's ruined by your misuse of the term "liberal" to refer to the illiberal neo-left. All that's left is a bunch of crap about how people from temperate regions are stupider, which is facially absurd.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Liberals do believe that folks from "temperate regions" (the south?) are stupid-er than they are. Heck, even liberals in the south think that their neighbors are stupid-er than they are.

Evidence: SFGate commenters for a quintessential liberal view of southerners.

Now, California has temperate regions and those folks think that rednecks, specifically southern rednecks, are mighty dang stupid.

The last words of a redneck....."Watch this." In my early years I survived each use of that phrase. I no longer expect to use that phrase in the future.

minarchist

Look at it this way:

Let's say we all agree with your premise that people with black and brown skin are, on the average, stupider (let's cut to the chase, shall we?). What then? What possible use does this information provide us? What possible benefit may we obtain from this? Especially since, as you say, they have equal rights regardless.

Why do people care about the age of the universe? At present, the answer to that question has zero practical utility, yet the question and its answer fascinate people anyway. To be human is to be curious. For many people, knowledge is an end unto itself. The two examples from the OP are not exceptions.

What's the point, if it isn't just about proving whites are better after all? Perhaps it's just trivia?

Who said anything about "white" superiority? There are other temperate peoples. IQ data actually shows that northeastern Asians have a slightly higher median IQ than Europeans. Those who have meet me at OC events can vouch that I am of European descent, so I cannot be accused of trying to prove the superiority of my meta-group if I believe in the validity of the studies that I alluded to in the preceding sentence (and I do).

That's why folks are hostile to threads like this.

Impugning a person's character because of what that person asserts about what is (as distinct from what that person asserts about what ought to be, as explained in the OP) is wrong. Period. End of discussion.

Such behavior is for self-described Marxist scoundrels in academia like Stephen Jay Gould, Richard Lewontin (I am serious, these men were/are proud Marxists), and Jared Diamond and their young, brainwashed sycophants. They threw $hit fits over colleagues (Arthur Jensen, Philippe Rushton, Richard Hernstein, Charles Murray, Linda Gottfredson, etc.) who made descriptive statements like those in the OP. Do you seriously want to be in the company of the first list, my fellow gun owner and OCer?!?! :eek

Any data used to bolster your argument cannot, by definition, be "scientific", for the reasons I mentioned. It's pseudo-scientific closet racism, frankly.

You appear to be making a circular argument here.

You're desperately seeking

I am not desperately seeking anything, and you cannot read my mind. I have been polite with you, and I ask that you not do anything like this again so civility is maintained in this discussion.

imaginary data

The data is real. Whether or not the studies from whence the data came were well-designed is another topic. For the umpteenth time, this thread is not about whether or not the two example conclusions are correct. Rather, it is about how liberal $hitbags (you know, those people trying to strip us of RKBA right now) confuse statements about what is with statements about what ought to be.

to fit a preformed conclusion,

Once again, you cannot read my mind, so you have no business asserting that I have a preformed conclusion (and for the umpteenth plus one time, the examples are just illustrative of the behaviorial phenomenon).

one which has no real-world application except to advance notions that white people are smarter, and they probably smell better, too.

As I pointed out above, there is plenty of scientific research (which sucks up a lot of taxpayer money) into questions that have little to no practical application at present (such as the age of the universe). Pure curiosity is a valid motive, regardless of what you say (though it would be nice if taxpayer money wasn't used).

This might be a valid rebuttal was what I said anything other than anecdotal, and therefore of as much merit as, for instance, IQ testing. I offer it to reveal my perspective, not to prove a point. Surely someone so versed in the rigors of the scientific method should be able to see that at a glance. :rolleyes:

For the umpteenth time plus two, this thread is about the behavioral phenomenon, and not the two examples from the OP. My point is this: even if one or both of the conclusions in the OP are incorrect, that makes no difference, because science works by making statements that are later disproven ("science is built with the bones of dead theories"), and people have the right to make descriptive statements, regardless of whether those statements turn out to be correct, incorrect, or somewhere in between.

I reject the premise that there is any different median intelligence attributable to race or region of origin. I have seen absolutely nothing in all my travels and the life I've lived to support that thesis.

Your anecdotal experiences do not carry more weight than how history has played out (not that this has anything to do with the main point of the thread, which relates to the philosophy of morality, and not to psychometrics and the validity of IQ testing).

I don't believe this for a minute.

If this is true, then why did you pick the examples you did?

I picked these two examples because they happen to be among the things that throw the liberals (as I state above, they're the folks trying to disarm us right now) into the most insane of rages. Their fits of rage regarding sex and race have been so energetic and childlike since the 1960s, that many non-liberals have professed varyiung degrees of political correctness in recent years (you may very well be a good example of this, based on your behavior in this thread). But I digress. The two examples from the OP were included in the OP because they serve as very good windows into the liberal mentality. Liberals also behave similarly when people make descriptive statements about things like economics, but the intensity of the reaction against someone who professes Austrian economics is nowhere near as harsh as it is towards scientists who self-profess gender and/or race-realism (their term, not mine). So yes, I could have chosen examples in economics, or educational policy, but I think that you'll concede that liberals do not react as intensely towards descriptive statements in those areas as they do towards descriptive statements in the area of psychometrics.

Do you have any idea how many times I've heard the precise argument, "why are liberals so anti-scientific? when you try to point out that black and brown people are smelly and stupid, they call you a racist! Those bullies!"

I do not have any idea how many times you've heard that. Has it been few or many?

I have never, ever, encountered a person who makes this argument who does it for any purpose other than to justify pre-existing racism.

(1) I have no idea how large your sample size is (that is absolutely critical).

(2) Just because you have not encountered something, does not mean that it does not exist.

(3) Once again, assertioins about what is are completely different than assertions about what ought to be, and it is wrong to impugn the character of someone merely for doing the former.

For the record, I am friends with a hardcore libertarian couple from Seattle who moved to this part of Virginia a few years ago (they love guns and the husband OCs, btw). The husband is white and the wife is black. I have told them about both examples from the OP a while ago, and we're still friends. The wife is black and female, and she takes offense at neither. She fully grasps the difference between descriptive statements and prescriptive statements, and she understands that statements about two large groups have no reflection on any given individual from either group. What does annoy her though, is the behavior of knee-jerk, dogmatic liberals who behave the way that I describe in the OP to smear their opponents. Perhaps you would not have said what I quoted immediately above if we were having this discussion at an OC event with them sitting next to me, as you would see that I am friends with both of them.

Which is fine. You said at the onset you wouldn't deprive anybody of rights based on your conclusion, so I really don't care if you're racist – although I might make fun of you for it in the future.

Why do you think that an assertion about what is---completely devoid of any attached assertion about what ought to be---is grounds for mockery?!?! :mad:

But if you're really just using that example as a point not about people from warm regions, but about the political left, you chose a particularly terrible one,

See above. I could have chosen Austrian economics, school vouchers/home schooling, etc., and those would have been underwhelming examples, because liberals do not spas that badly over those in comparison to how they freak out over the two examples that I chose for the OP.

as you picked one without any scientific merit whatsoever,

Men and women (see the above list) who are much better educated than you in the area of psychometrics would vehemently disagree with you, but that's okay, because that isn't what this thread is about in any case.

and presented it as fact expecting us all to agree.

For the last time, you cannot read my mind.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn about the point you're trying to make, as it's ruined by your misuse of the term "liberal" to refer to the illiberal neo-left.

So sue me for using (1) contemporary usage, and (2) the term that they apply to themselves.

All that's left is a bunch of crap about how people from temperate regions are stupider, which is facially absurd.

I shall repeat:

Men and women (see the above list) who are much better educated than you in the area of psychometrics would vehemently disagree with you, but that's okay, because that isn't what this thread is about in any case.

Have a good day.

ETA: Actually, you're quite wrong that there are no practical applications of the two OP conclusions if they are indeed correct. Billions of dollars in local, state, and federal tax money are spent on education. The authoritarian Left, like a bully, declares that the hereditarian position is incorrect (or they outright refuse to consider it). That means that any difference in academic performance between boys and girls, or between children of different ancestries, is assumed a priori---ON FAITH---to be a result of various factors in the environments of the children. Therefore, we, as taxpayers, are being gouged on a faith-based assumption. If the hereditarian position were demonstrated true beyond a reasonable doubt, we could then lobby for lower taxes, as money cannot fix performance gaps that are not caused by bad environments.

Last edited:

minarchist

Liberals do believe that folks from "temperate regions" (the south?)

"In geography, temperate or tepid latitudes of the globe lie between the tropics and the polar regions."

So yes, that would include the southern U.S., but it also includes the northern U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_climate

are stupid-er than they are. Heck, even liberals in the south think that their neighbors are stupid-er than they are.

Evidence: SFGate commenters for a quintessential liberal view of southerners.

Now, California has temperate regions and those folks think that rednecks, specifically southern rednecks, are mighty dang stupid.

The last words of a redneck....."Watch this." In my early years I survived each use of that phrase. I no longer expect to use that phrase in the future.

The second example in the OP relates to where your ancestors spent tens of thousands of years, not where you and your family have lived for a few generations (evolutionary change takes a bit more than a few generations).

I do appreciate your humor in any case.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
ETA: Actually, you're quite wrong that there are no practical applications of the two OP conclusions if they are indeed correct. Billions of dollars in local, state, and federal tax money are spent on education. The authoritarian Left, like a bully, declares that the hereditarian position is incorrect (or they outright refuse to consider it). That means that any difference in academic performance between boys and girls, or between children of different ancestries, is assumed a priori---ON FAITH---to be a result of various factors in the environments of the children. Therefore, we, as taxpayers, are being gouged on a faith-based assumption. If the hereditarian position were demonstrated true beyond a reasonable doubt, we could then lobby for lower taxes, as money cannot fix performance gaps that are not caused by bad environments.[/b]

I have so many issues with this I don't know where to begin.

I'm going to ask you a simple question: are you advocating that the government continue compulsory, confiscation-funded public education, but that the amount of money spent on this in a given community or school might reasonably be based on the racial makeup thereof?

It seems to me that you've identified an issue with, you know, government doing things it's not very good at (see your avatar). But you're trying to conflate it into another issue, specifically one of race. Again, your bias is showing. I don't need to be a mind-reader to make this deduction.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So sue me for using (1) contemporary usage, and (2) the term that they apply to themselves.

You're letting them win a point they don't deserve by doing this. The illiberal left is bolstered by their co-option of the term "liberal", believing themselves to have a moral high ground they do not, in fact, occupy – that of anti-authoritarianism.

minarchist

I have so many issues with this I don't know where to begin.

I'm going to ask you a simple question: are you advocating that the government continue compulsory, confiscation-funded public education, but that the amount of money spent on this in a given community or school might reasonably be based on the racial makeup thereof?

No. I think that public education should be discontinued. But if we are unable to eliminate it, we should try to minimize the amount spent on it. Since a large portion of money spent on education is due to achievement gaps between various groups, and since the Left uses the environmental, anti-hereditarian hypothesis as its starting point (a hypothesis that you seem to strongly support, ironically) and does not tolerate any discussion regarding whether this hypothesis is correct, we are being taxed on the basis of a faith-based position, and that is very wrong. Obviously, I would prefer to eliminate public education, but if that is not a realistic goal for the immediate future, we can at least pull the rug out from under their feet via this issue and lobby for decreased spending on public education.

Of course, this is a tangent from the larger issue, which is the wrongness of what members of the Left do to people who merely make descriptive statements.

It seems to me that you've identified an issue with, you know, government doing things it's not very good at (see your avatar). But you're trying to conflate it into another issue, specifically one of race. Again, your bias is showing. I don't need to be a mind-reader to make this deduction.

Racial issues serve as an excuse to tax us (not just for education, but other things as well), and we're not even allowed (socially, that is) to question their underlying anti-hereditarian premise. We are simply bullied into accepting their Marxist egalitarian claims on faith (which seems to have worked with you). I want to decrease what I pay in taxes as much as possible, and if the race-realist camp is no longer persecuted, the Left's dogma may very well be undermined to the point where they no longer have the excuse to tax us to fund certain causes (such as closing achievement gaps that are actually NOT due to environmental differences).

You're letting them win a point they don't deserve by doing this. The illiberal left is bolstered by their co-option of the term "liberal", believing themselves to have a moral high ground they do not, in fact, occupy – that of anti-authoritarianism.

I actually agree with you here, but it is more important to me that people know whom I am referring to. I could call them "members of the Left", but that is more cumbersome.

Last edited:

acmariner99

Here is what I think - perception is reality. Perceptions are driven by personal biases and emotions. We see what we want to see when confronted with an abstract statement, image, or other sensory trigger. No matter the available data, we are driven by our perceptions - our assumptions - when confronted with certain sensory triggers. How many of us assume someone who makes a derogatory comment about firearms or OC is a "stupid liberal," "immature," or any other comment as such? While we can distance our emotions from our ability to make logical conclusions, it usually doesn't happen that way.

The premise behind what I have said is a big reason why many parts of our society - like the justice system - are a joke. Isn't a reason most people despise lawyers is because they inject a substantial amount of "perception" to distort the facts in order to affect an outcome?

When people see the Gasden flag - what do many people assume? The person is a teabagger and a racist. Never mind that the bearer may work in a place where he is a minority, travels to a country that doesn't speak his native language, or any other physical evidence to the contrary. Perception is reality.

OC for ME

Here is what I think - perception is reality. Perceptions are driven by personal biases and emotions. We see what we want to see when confronted with an abstract statement, image, or other sensory trigger. No matter the available data, we are driven by our perceptions - our assumptions - when confronted with certain sensory triggers. How many of us assume someone who makes a derogatory comment about firearms or OC is a "stupid liberal," "immature," or any other comment as such? While we can distance our emotions from our ability to make logical conclusions, it usually doesn't happen that way.
There is derogatory and then there is infringement.

Derogatory: "Your gun is a Glock and you should be ostracized for carrying a Glock."

Infringement: "Your gun is a Glock and you should not be permitted to be armed, hand over your Glock."

sudden valley gunner

There is derogatory and then there is infringement.

Derogatory: "Your gun is a Glock and you should be ostracized for carrying a Glock."

Infringement: "Your gun is a Glock and you should not be permitted to be armed, hand over your Glock."

But it wasn't made in a temperate climate.........:eek:

sudden valley gunner

The bigot Lincoln wanted to get rid of Black people from U.S. he thought they were never to be the equals of whites, even tried to make a deal with Panama, believing they needed to be back in their "clime".....

When you argue a broad base like temperate climate many will assume you are discussing ethnic differences.....this is a ridiculous argument meant to entrap and eschew. Full of built in Red Herring and Straw man arguments. So that as soon as some one counters, the claim can be made "I am not talking about race".....yet the implications are still there.

77zach

Nietzsche said, "People don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." I think that's a pretty accurate statement.

Perhaps the most striking example for me was in college. My degree was in chemistry and the biological sciences and all books/professors believed a certain way about how humans got to be the way they are in recorded history. Their theory has absolutely no evidence to support it, and all the evidence in the world to deny it, but most held onto it with a Jehova's Witness like religious fervor. I had a biochemistry professor that knew it "it's ridiculous and makes no sense at all", but told me off the record that saying so even socially would be career damaging.

minarchist

The bigot Lincoln wanted to get rid of Black people from U.S. he thought they were never to be the equals of whites, even tried to make a deal with Panama, believing they needed to be back in their "clime".....

When you argue a broad base like temperate climate many will assume you are discussing ethnic differences.....this is a ridiculous argument meant to entrap and eschew. Full of built in Red Herring and Straw man arguments. So that as soon as some one counters, the claim can be made "I am not talking about race".....yet the implications are still there.

I was talking about race.

For a tropical species such as man, do you think that more stupid individuals will be culled from the heard on the equator or at 45 degees north, somewhere on the Eurasian landmass? There is a show called "Survivorman" about a Canadian survival expert named Les Stroud. He has done shows in the Amazonian rainforest, the Outback, etc., and he stated that Norway in winter was his most difficult episode. He got his a$$ kicked by the wet snow and atrocious conditions and nearly died on camera. How about you get some survuval gear and spend a full year living outdoor on the equator and then a full year living outdoors at 45 degrees north or south and then tell me with a straight face (assuming that you survive the second year) that the second year was not harder than the first year.

Why are you defending the dogma of the Left? Do you realize that the Marxists use the assumption that hereditary differences don't exist to justify high taxes and other social engineering?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Why are you defending the dogma of the Left? Do you realize that the Marxists use the assumption that hereditary differences don't exist to justify high taxes and other social engineering?

This is a subtle false dilemma you've created.

Either one defends the "dogma of the left", or one must "accept" "hereditary differences".

In actual fact, your so-called "Marxists" (which is about as meaningless a term as any) don't need "hereditary differences" to justify high taxes, social engineering, social "justice", or what have you. They believe these things are self-justifying. There will always be some inequality the "compassionate" feel the need to fix.

What this really boils down to is an excuse to claim relevance to your false notion of racial supremacy. You're intentionally conflating the unrelated issues of racial supremacy with neo-leftist social progressivism.

Sorry, bud. Our race isn't special. And, even if it were, you haven't done a thing to show that this fact is of anything other than trivial interest.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
For a tropical species such as man, do you think that more stupid individuals will be culled from the heard on the equator or at 45 degees north, somewhere on the Eurasian landmass? There is a show called "Survivorman" about a Canadian survival expert named Les Stroud. He has done shows in the Amazonian rainforest, the Outback, etc., and he stated that Norway in winter was his most difficult episode. He got his a$$ kicked by the wet snow and atrocious conditions and nearly died on camera. How about you get some survuval gear and spend a full year living outdoor on the equator and then a full year living outdoors at 45 degrees north or south and then tell me with a straight face (assuming that you survive the second year) that the second year was not harder than the first year.

lol. So, if it isn't cold, there isn't competitive pressure, huh?

You act as though life is lazy and pressure-free in temperate zones. You don't sound like a person who's seen much of the world. :lol:

A libertarian ought to understand that, thanks to the laws of supply and demand, competition reaches equilibrium across geographic zones in the same way salt does in water.

Why do you think the first people went to cold areas? To establish a superior Aryan race of hyper-capable, do-anything mountain men? No. They did it to escape competition. People went to cold areas with all of the concomitant hardships because, despite those hardships, life was easier than in the warm place they came from.

Duh.

Last edited:

minarchist

This is a subtle false dilemma you've created.

Either one defends the "dogma of the left", or one must "accept" "hereditary differences".

I know that you want to maintain that there is more than politically correct and politically incorrect. You want me to accept that there is a third option: politically-correct-but-non-Leftist. However, political correctness is a child of the Left. If you are politically correct, then you are accepting at least a portion of what the Left has to offer.

Do you deny that a lot of the variety that we see in humanity is due to heredity?

In actual fact, your so-called "Marxists" (which is about as meaningless a term as any) don't need "hereditary differences"

CORRECTION: They need a denial of hereditary difference [with respect to intelligence].

to justify high taxes, social engineering, social "justice", or what have you. They believe these things are self-justifying. There will always be some inequality the "compassionate" feel the need to fix.

You're missing the point. If it is demonstrated that some forms of inequality are either impossible, or very difficult, to correct, that pulls the rug out from under the Marxists' feet. That is why Marxists so passionately hate hereditarian explanations and so adamantly proclaim that environmental differences cause the inequality that we observe (that is precisely why Mendelian genetics was supressed in the Soviet Union in favor of Lysenkoist pseudo-science).

What this really boils down to is an excuse to claim relevance to your false notion of racial supremacy.

If I had some selfish ulterior motive, why would I say that some population other than my own has the highest median IQ? :rolleyes:

You're intentionally conflating the unrelated issues of racial supremacy with neo-leftist social progressivism.

Those two ideologies are the opposite of each other. I was not conflating them.

Sorry, bud. Our race isn't special. And, even if it were, you haven't done a thing to show that this fact is of anything other than trivial interest.

There is nothing to be sorry about, my friend. I was never saying that Europeans were special. You weren't making a strawman argument here, were you?

lol. So, if it isn't cold, there isn't competitive pressure, huh?

Life is certainly much, much easier near the equator:

(1) There is a lot more wild game to hunt and more vegetation to gather.

(2) There is no need to plan ahead for food storage through the winter.

(3) Members of a tropical species living in the tropics certainly have it much easier than members of that same tropical species living somewhere other than the tropics (duh).

You act as though life is lazy and pressure-free in temperate zones. You don't sound like a person who's seen much of the world.

You mean tropical zones, not temperate zones.

I don't think that you understand that I am saying that while life, in hunter-gatherer times, had its challenges in the tropics, it was much more challenging elsewhere.

Why do you think the first people went to cold areas? To establish a superior Aryan race of hyper-capable, do-anything mountain men?

Population diffusion is a natural process. There was nothing premeditated about it.

No. They did it to escape competition. People went to cold areas with all of the concomitant hardships because, despite those hardships, life was easier than in the warm place they came from.

Diffusion is a slow process wherein splinter bands generally live within a few miles of the parent band. It's not as if one group of people walked from the equator to Eurasia one summer.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know that you want to maintain that there is more than politically correct and politically incorrect. You want me to accept that there is a third option: politically-correct-but-non-Leftist. However, political correctness is a child of the Left. If you are politically correct, then you are accepting at least a portion of what the Left has to offer.
All you've done is rephrase the same false dilemma: either you accept hereditary elitism, or you're politically correct (= child of the left).

My position is not a product of the left. It's merely one we happen to share, to a certain extent – sort of the way I agree with the right on guns (although the right is, in general, still too statist in this regard for my taste).

Do you deny that a lot of the variety that we see in humanity is due to heredity?

This is a red herring. Of course I don't. And, equally obviously, there are "racial" inheritances which predict many traits. Skin color is of course the most obvious. But differences in bone structure and disease prevalence rates can also be found. Not to mention lactose tolerance. These things are easily quantifiable.

It just so happens that intelligence is not one of these things. It is not easily quantifiable and, as I mentioned earlier, any attempts to do so necessarily entail the quantifier making prescriptive definitions of the concept. Intelligence is, truly, as subjective as is creative merit.

As I said, my opinion is not a result of a desire to be "politically correct" (whatever that is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't describe me :rolleyes:). It's a result of personal empiricism. I've seen nothing to indicate racial tendencies when it comes to "intelligence".

CORRECTION: They need a denial of hereditary difference [with respect to intelligence].

No, they don't. It's merely convenient, due to our country's racial history etc etc etc. As I said, the things you claim they rely on this for are things they believe justify themselves.

You're missing the point. If it is demonstrated that some forms of inequality are either impossible, or very difficult, to correct, that pulls the rug out from under the Marxists' feet. That is why Marxists so passionately hate hereditarian explanations and so adamantly proclaim that environmental differences cause the inequality that we observe (that is precisely why Mendelian genetics was supressed in the Soviet Union in favor of Lysenkoist pseudo-science).
Where do you hear this crap?" A "Marxist" would claim in a second that economic equality is a moral objective independent of ability.

Guess what?

Karl Marx said:
To each according to his need. From each according to his ability.

This is basically the exact opposite of what you're saying. This is, "people aren't inherently equally productive or capable, but they deserve to be provided for regardless."

Marx's anti-racism was incidental and unrelated to this view, as the two are not dependent upon the other.

If I had some selfish ulterior motive, why would I say that some population other than my own has the highest median IQ? :rolleyes:

So that you could say that in debate. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you don't place your race at the bottom of the list, either. Wait for it... :rolleyes:

Those two ideologies are the opposite of each other. I was not conflating them.

I didn't say the ideologies, I said the "issues". The issues are unrelated. You're conflating the issues by pretending that your racial supremacism has anything to do with opposing the left's socialist tendencies.

Further more, the ideologies are not "opposite" as, again, they are unrelated. One need not be a leftist to also not be a racial supremacist. One can be neither, or one can even be both (I've met a progressive who also happened to believe other races were inferior).

There is nothing to be sorry about, my friend. I was never saying that Europeans were special. You weren't making a strawman argument here, were you?

Frankly, I really didn't bother to read what races you think are special. It's irrelevant.

Anyway, see above. You can claim anything you want, but advocating racial supremacism speaks for itself.

As it happens, I've yet to meet a person ready to share "data" claiming his race is the least intelligent.

Life is certainly much, much easier near the equator:

(1) There is a lot more wild game to hunt and more vegetation to gather.

(2) There is no need to plan ahead for food storage through the winter.

(3) Members of a tropical species living in the tropics certainly have it much easier than members of that same tropical species living somewhere other than the tropics (duh).

You mean tropical zones, not temperate zones.

I don't think that you understand that I am saying that while life, in hunter-gatherer times, had its challenges in the tropics, it was much more challenging elsewhere.

Your view is hilariously naïve in this regard.

I'm going to keep this simple, hopefully you can follow along:

Yes, tropics have an abundance of food. They also have an abundance of food-consumers (stay with me here), starting with plant-eaters. But that leads to an abundance of predators. It also leads to an abundance of humans. All of these things (of which there tend to be fewer as the climate becomes more difficult for life) compete fiercely for resources.

This competition means that it's harder to get a given resource, although resources are in general more prevalent. As with any market, or similar system, the effect balances itself out.

Again, equilibrium.

As I pointed out, the first people didn't head to cool or cold places to make a statement of their individualism, or to fight for survival because they thought it would lead to better genes generations down the line. People started off in tropical or subtropical climes, and gradually "diffused" to increasingly colder climates as competition drove them to.

Nobody would have ever left this idyllic paradise you imagine if there weren't more readily available (for them) resources elsewhere.

Life is by definition easier wherever people migrate to, relative to where they migrated from. That's why people migrate.

Population diffusion is a natural process. There was nothing premeditated about it.

Precisely. And it follows.... the path of least resistance. Equilibrium.

Individuals choose to escape competition, and the result is cumulative.

This really isn't complicated stuff here.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Nietzsche said, "People don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." I think that's a pretty accurate statement.
SNIP

This is true all over the board. That is why I strive to hold no illusions but even then believing I have no illusions is an illusion. I don't mind mine being destroyed with the truth though.