• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver CC with CHP on city property?

mahkagari

One of the major reasons I got my CHP is to be able to OC and not worry about Federal School Zones. A side benefit is I can carry in Denver. I know you can't carry into Federal buildings, but does Denver's pre-emption allow them to ban CC on city property other than the Capitol? E.g. museums, rec centers, libraries, etc.

cscitney87

Not with any more capability than any other municipality. If metal detection is placed; you're subject to the disarmament. I would bet a few dollars that Denver has posted detection.

entartet17

They can't restrict CC except as allowable under state law. That doesn't mean they don't post signs anyway. There is a No Guns sign at the zoo which is unenforceable when it comes to CC.

mahkagari

Ok, so no automatic invalidation on CHP just because the building is "city property" like with Federal?

Dynamite Rabbit

If metal detection is placed; you're subject to the disarmament. I would bet a few dollars that Denver has posted detection.

It's not just metal detectors -- it has to be a manned checkpoint.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

Gunslinger

It's not just metal detectors -- it has to be a manned checkpoint.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

Exactly right. Denver has no more control of CCW holders than any other city or town. It is full state preemption.