• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Folklife Situation

El Comanche

So I'm pretty new here, so I'm not sure how much this has been discussed. The papers were very unclear what happened to start the conflict, but it sounded like the guy had a concealed permit, but somebody saw the gun. There was some sort of argument and the other guy went for the gun, there was a struggle and the gun went off.

If this is the case, the gun owner should not have been arrested, but rather the criminal trying to take away his gun. If he had a permit, and it is also legal to open carry, what law did he break? Maybe the gun owner was an ass, and it was all his fault, but the papers were not clear at all.

If our Mayor is trying to use this as a way to override our state gun laws, perhaps that would be a great place for 100 law abiding citizens to open carry next year?

Feel free to educate me if I am misinformed here, but that's how I read things.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folkls!
As usual, the newspaper story link doesn't provide a whole lot of information. It did not, for example, talk about the ruckus itself.
It didn't mention anybody being arrested either.

Perhaps the OP has additional information we can consider before we arrive at any conclusions in the matter.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jt59

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This was in 2008....we've moved well past all of this if this is the reference.

Originally published June 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM | Page modified June 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I don't know. The OP has yet to respond. We have no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps he's bringing up old news. Just using my Google skills to try and help the OP out. Here is an updated article that doesn't say much more.

http://stage.mynorthwest.com/catego...ban-sparked-by-Folklife-shooting-still-alive/

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
An argument that became a physical fight left at least two people wounded by a single gunshot Saturday evening at the Northwest Folklife Festival, as thousands of people listened to music and danced at Seattle Center.
Full Story

It is generally known the Folklife Festival in Seattle is unable to restrict firearms even though the city wants it to be that way.

A quick forum search for folklife festival you will find

Folklife 2011 - City of Seattle still ignoring Chan v. Seattle ruling

Folklife shooting suspect pleads guilty

As with anything when it comes to the laws and what you are willing or not willing to do, one needs to spend the time researching and reading to solidify their position.

Dave_pro2a

To be fair, the SPD performed absolutly AWESOME during that Folklife incident..... think about it....

THEY DIDN'T MURDER ANYONE! Err, I mean they didn't "OMG they are coming right for me... BAM BAM BAM" anyone. Kudos for the restraint.

Gun-Ban.jpg

:D

Last edited:

oldkim

This was in 2008....we've moved well past all of this if this is the reference.

Originally published June 9, 2008 at 12:00 AM | Page modified June 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM

WOW! I know things are slow but really. 2008.

Now 2010 was a good gun year... :banana:

El Comanche

It is generally known the Folklife Festival in Seattle is unable to restrict firearms even though the city wants it to be that way.
Thanks Big Dave, that is why I brought it up. Sorry to some of the other guys, I assumed since it was the "Washington" section that everyone was hip with the story. I still think it is relevant. My bad I guess.