• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 59 passes the Senate with cost to Open Carriers :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot623

In comparison, as far as gun rights, Jennifer Granholm was a vastly better politician, both as AG and governer.

True

I believe it goes without saying that we have to help campaign against him next election cycle.

Whoa...let's wait and see who the other side puts up. If it's Virg Bernero again, I'll suck it up and vote for the nerd again(while throwing up in my mouth)

FreeInAZ

Here's an idea for MOC (I and my family are members so I hope to help & not offend). Maybe in the future before the board votes on any bill that could be deemed by members to have a negative effect on OC, that they be given the chance to vote on MOC's support before it is given? A simple majority vote would be fine 51% for = support approved, 51% against = support denied. 50-50 tie = I flip the Q! He lands on his head, the yeahs have it!:p Kidding guys, from someone who's walked with the reaper a few times too many, it (life) is way too short for this bickering. Let's move forward and try to make the best of the situation at hand.

ETA-
Here's a factoid that may give all something to think about before raging on here. The Brady campaign scored MI with a "C" via their 2011 data, while all the other border states to us(OH, IN, WI) got big fat "F's". Oh and by the way, We, MI. are in the same category as ILLINOIS in their eyes! So to say we need pro 2A movement in MI is the understatement of the year! http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard

Let's stop fighting each other and start fighting those who will have us on our knees! Lansing Ladies and Gentlemen point your anger there, where it is well deserved in my honest opinion.

That idea came up last night in the meeting. Sorry you weren't there :( You would have known why that wasn't a viable option.

Q - Some People for many reasons choose not to use MOC's chat. In my case it comes from a conscious choice not to use MicroSoft products. I have found the linux distro I like to have issues with the teamspeak server of MOC. My point is this: when MOC is losing membership, is it really necessary for the President (by default & not election) to always be so terse and dismissive? My comments were in good spirit and a true desire to resolve concerns of myself and others. Many here are concerned, and for what appears to be very valid reasons. A calm and friendly discussion may have made MOC some friends, instead of alienating readers here. The current membership is so slight, that a vote count via confirmed email by every member, could be done by one person in a short period of time. Likely on the same day of a scheduled vote. You are a human by definition, please try and exercise some humanity in your posts for all here, if it is not your intentional desire to be divisive.:confused:

Last edited:

budlight

Are you trying to imply that the Michigan gun registration law wasn't a racist governments response to the great migration and the Ossian Sweet case? If so, please understand that nearly everyone who has spent so much as an hour studying the issue will disagree with you.

The Michigan registration issue does appear to have some racist backing. However you are inferring that the MAJORITY of Michigan laws have a racist background and that is the problem I have.

When I made a comment a while back that Detroit is a dangerous city you commented that it could be taken as racist, even though I made NO (None, Zero) mention to race. It’s a well know fact that Detroit is in competition to be the murder capital of the world. Right now Detroit is beating its last year’s statistics for murders……even though no mention is made to race. Again I have made no mention or implied race. IF a particular race is responsible for these numbers, how is it racist when I never even inferred or mentioned a race????

For the record I am a white male who is a non card carrying member of the race card dropping club. I accept what ever happens as fate, and assign blame where it belongs. I don’t feel anybody owes me anything, nor do I drop my race as a crutch for my own miss doings.

Lastly, this form is about the lawful carry of firearms. Unless somebody has been stopped/detained based on their race, it has no business in this form. Take the racism comments to the forms that support affirmative action. By the way I don’t support affirmative action as that is a racist objective, nor does it bring anything to the table.

Last edited:

TheQ

Position is up for election this summer. Glad to hear you'll be running so I don't win by "default" :)

Best of luck with your run.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Position is up for election this summer. Glad to hear you'll be running so I don't win by "default" :)

Best of luck with your run.

This is exactly what I hoped you wouldn't do. Never mind. But I do hope someone worthy of my families votes steps forward. Carry on until then.:uhoh:

Full text added for clarity of others below:

Here's an idea for MOC (I and my family are members so I hope to help & not offend). Maybe in the future before the board votes on any bill that could be deemed by members to have a negative effect on OC, that they be given the chance to vote on MOC's support before it is given? A simple majority vote would be fine 51% for = support approved, 51% against = support denied. 50-50 tie = I flip the Q! He lands on his head, the yeahs have it!:p Kidding guys, from someone who's walked with the reaper a few times too many, it (life) is way too short for this bickering. Let's move forward and try to make the best of the situation at hand.

ETA-
Here's a factoid that may give all something to think about before raging on here. The Brady campaign scored MI with a "C" via their 2011 data, while all the other border states to us(OH, IN, WI) got big fat "F's". Oh and by the way, We, MI. are in the same category as ILLINOIS in their eyes! So to say we need pro 2A movement in MI is the understatement of the year! http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard

Let's stop fighting each other and start fighting those who will have us on our knees! Lansing Ladies and Gentlemen point your anger there, where it is well deserved in my honest opinion.

That idea came up last night in the meeting. Sorry you weren't there :( You would have known why that wasn't a viable option.

Q - Some People for many reasons choose not to use MOC's chat. In my case it comes from a conscious choice not to use MicroSoft products. I have found the linux distro I like to have issues with the teamspeak server of MOC. My point is this: when MOC is losing membership, is it really necessary for the President (by default & not election) to always be so terse and dismissive? My comments were in good spirit and a true desire to resolve concerns of myself and others. Many here are concerned, and for what appears to be very valid reasons. A calm and friendly discussion may have made MOC some friends, instead of alienating readers here. The current membership is so slight, that a vote count via confirmed email by every member, could be done by one person in a short period of time. Likely on the same day of a scheduled vote. You are a human by definition, please try and exercise some humanity in your posts for all here, if it is not your intentional desire to be divisive.:confused:

Last edited:

Michigander

Budlight, why do you keep bringing this up? There can be no possible good reason, why after all the times I've directly addressed your complaints via PM and on the forums, as well as going so far as to offer to buy you lunch and talk about it, that you would keep taking my comments out of context and hounding me at every possible instance you see fit. Given all the times we've been over this, it is completely inappropriate for you to hound me like this. Worse yet, you are trying to derail and important thread. Please stop.

griffin

I have found the linux distro I like, to have issues with the teamspeak server of MOC.

If you're smart enough to use Linux, you're smart enough not to have a misplaced comma in your writing!

;)

(I'm a computer engineer, I'm going to rag on certain others). :p

Anonymouse

If you're smart enough to use Linux, you're smart enough not to have a misplaced comma in your writing!

;)

Not if its Ubuntu or Mint!!! :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

budlight

Budlight, why do you keep bringing this up? There can be no possible good reason, why after all the times I've directly addressed your complaints via PM and on the forums, as well as going so far as to offer to buy you lunch and talk about it, that you would keep taking my comments out of context and hounding me at every possible instance you see fit. Given all the times we've been over this, it is completely inappropriate for you to hound me like this. Worse yet, you are trying to derail and important thread. Please stop.

You were the one that took “Detroit is a dangerous city" out of context and called it possible racism.” How any educated person can call that racist is beyond me.
Unlike some, I am not using race as a crutch for things that go wrong in my life.

This form is about the LAWFUL carry of firearms. UNLESS someone is stopped or detained BASED on race, it has NO business here. I am so sick and tired of hearing from people that everything is racist, when the majority of their problems are created by themselves and not race.

Once again I don’t carry a race card to be my crutch in life!

FreeInAZ

;)

I'll fix it Griff. My mistake. If you see it again point it out. I will do my best to resolve it. :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
So you're basically allowing 330,000 people to carry concealed where they couldn't before in exchange for the hundred-odd people who were carrying there before.

Um, no - you are allowing some small fraction of the 330,000 CPL holders who take or have taken the new additional training over an above their CPL certification. Is this certification class avaiable for non-Michigan residents?

I think this bill should be amended to eliminate the open carry prohibition, and grandfather-in all current CPL and non-Michigan CHP holders while applying the new training requirement to new Michigan CPL applicants only.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I believe this conversation has reached the point of no return.
Ok, maybe I was wrong, maybe I wasn't. But, when someone who can make a comment anyway, makes a comment, I guess I need to re open it so everyone gets a fair chance.

One word of warning, PLEASE try to keep from making any personal attacks.

Thank You. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Um, no - you are allowing some small fraction of the 330,000 CPL holders who take or have taken the new additional training over an above their CPL certification. Is this certification class avaiable for non-Michigan residents?

I think this bill should be amended to eliminate the open carry prohibition, and grandfather-in all current CPL and non-Michigan CHP holders while applying the new training requirement to new Michigan CPL applicants only.
It will likely never see the governor's desk that way. And even if it did, it would leave his desk with the big VETO stamp on it. And since his party is the ruling party in both houses, they more than likely won't over ride his veto.

detroit_fan

Ok, maybe I was wrong, maybe I wasn't. But, when someone who can make a comment anyway, makes a comment, I guess I need to re open it so everyone gets a fair chance.

One word of warning, PLEASE try to keep from making any personal attacks.

Thank You. :)

Thank you. I agree, lets stop personal attacks, they accomplish nothing.

Michigander

You were the one that took “Detroit is a dangerous city" out of context and called it possible racism.” How any educated person can call that racist is beyond me.
Unlike some, I am not using race as a crutch for things that go wrong in my life.

This form is about the LAWFUL carry of firearms. UNLESS someone is stopped or detained BASED on race, it has NO business here. I am so sick and tired of hearing from people that everything is racist, when the majority of their problems are created by themselves and not race.

Once again I don’t carry a race card to be my crutch in life!

PM sent, again.

Michigander

Um, no - you are allowing some small fraction of the 330,000 CPL holders who take or have taken the new additional training over an above their CPL certification. Is this certification class avaiable for non-Michigan residents?.

Michigan does not license non residents.

As it stands, anyone from any state with any concealed carry permit or license can OC in the restricted areas in Michigan.

Under this bill, it will go from that, to being CC only for the few residents who will ever bother with the further requirements.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Michigan does not license non residents.

As it stands, anyone from any state with any concealed carry permit or license can OC in the restricted areas in Michigan.

Under this bill, it will go from that, to being CC only for the few residents who will ever bother with the further requirements.

Will it? I wonder. The bill says those licensed under this act can not OC in the PFZs. I'm not sure that would apply to those licensed outside the state, which has language in .234d to exempt out of state CPL holders. Bill 59 doesn't address out of state CPL holders in regards to the .234d "loop-hole".

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.